[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I started work at a new company a month ago. We use this cancer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 12

File: slack-logo-vector-download.jpg (60KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
slack-logo-vector-download.jpg
60KB, 512x512px
I started work at a new company a month ago. We use this cancer for team communication because half the team works remotely. They even pay the monthly subscription for it.

How do I convince them it's botnet and should we use IRC?

I mentioned it already and the CTO said no but he is curious and will look into it it if I setup a server so he can see how it works. Is setting up an IRC server difficult?
>>
IRC isn't designed for the same use case as Slack.
I don't think it's a good idea. You can still go for something self-hosted, but probably not IRC.
>>
>>61155563
>Work at new company
>Push your /g/ neet ideals about Foss and botnet
>Urge the CTO to listen to your propaganda by recommended another service
>Knows nothing about the server, including how to set it up on a corporate scale
You don't deserve your job faggot.
>>
mumble though
>>
>>61155563
so you want
-less features
-awkward irc client
and a learning curve for everyone involved?

whats the benefit to this?
>>
>need to message outside work hours
>You're the only autist still on the irc
>Need to send a file
>Irc is only text
Please kill yourself. Slack is fine for work.
>>
>>61155563
>autistic NEET tries to replace Slack, which just werks, with IRC
>can't get it set up properly
>nothing works
>everyone blames OP for being a fucking retard
>>
Slack uses IRC retard
>>
>>61155563
You adapt to the professional environment. You do not change the environment to suit your peculiarities.
>>
Are you serious?

Slack is absolutely perfect for team communication, it makes using Skype seem hilariously outdated so what compelled you to even suggest such a thing? This is why you hide your power level around anyone else so you don't look like a massive degenerate spergweeb, honestly I'm surprised the CTO didn't rethink the hire on the spot

>So you know that flawless functionality-rich SME-centric chat client we use
>How about we replace it with something with no functionality that nobody has used in 10 years
>>
you should try ricing their workstation computers so they use less memory while idling and look more workflow oriented
>>
>>61155945
/thread. You pretty much look like a homo now and rest assured that your CTO has taken notice. You are now the weakest link.
>>
We used Slack when I was doing student IT work part time at my college. Bretty gud.
>>
might as well suggested AIM
>>
use https://github.com/wee-slack/wee-slack , it's tolerable.
>>
>>61155563
ask the admins to enable the IRC or XMPP gateway for your team. viola.
>>
>>61155563
Maybe consider mattersmost?
http://about.mattermost.com
>>
>>61155563
Can't fucking believe that nobody mentioned free RocketChat https://github.com/RocketChat/Rocket.Chat
>>
>>61156576
This
>>
>>61155563
>Is setting up an IRC server difficult?
You recommended it even though you've never done this? For fuck sake...
>>
File: 1497590855557.png (27KB, 602x500px) Image search: [Google]
1497590855557.png
27KB, 602x500px
Force them to install Source Mage!
Imagine all the benefits!!!
>>
Slack is great if you have competent coworkers and standardization of channels. Just know who the admins are and try to be one. if not, you should at least know your company's policy on data retention, etc.
>>
hey nigga just use fuckin slack
>>
Ask your sysadmin to turn on xmpp integration or irc integration. I use the xmpp integration and it's not bad but certainly shitter than the native client. They also have rest apis so make your own client.
>>
File: team_chat_2x.png (95KB, 1400x598px) Image search: [Google]
team_chat_2x.png
95KB, 1400x598px
>>
>>61156506
et voila
>>
The only reason I hate slack is because it's so fucking slow and buggy, every other image I drag in to send to a teammate causes it to crash
>>
>>61155563
but muh integrations and gif memes
>>
>>61155563
You are stupid, and moving from slack to IRC because you have autism and no real world working experience is a bad idea.

Slack is fantastic for businesses and teams. It's not just about the text chat, but the connectors to ticketing systems and the like.

Leave your memes at home.
>>
File: 01-title-image.png (188KB, 960x647px) Image search: [Google]
01-title-image.png
188KB, 960x647px
>>61155563
>they don't use Workplace
How do you send flirty stickers to your female colleagues (male)?
>>
File: xx.jpg (121KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
xx.jpg
121KB, 1000x563px
>guys we have GIFs too pls use me ;_;
>>
>>61155945
KEKED
>>
>>61155563
Are you autistic ? Yes slack is trash and spawns multiple new instances of the chromium webbrowser to run its shitty electron based code. But that does not mean an irc is a suitable alternative you twat. I hope the CTO sees how stupid you are and fires your ass
>>
>>61156046

>change environment to suit your peculiarities

Just Islam things.
>>
You could try using Hipchat instead.
>>
>>61155563
On the off chance this isn't a bait thread. The rest of /g/ can listen too.

When you work at a company, the company is focused on making sellable product. Whatever the product is.

Now to do this, they outsource certain aspects - for example, a new company generally rents an existing office space. It doesn't build a new space as its first expense.

In the sense of technology companies, the same idea applies. A smaller company will usually be better served by an out of the box solution with faster startup time and support than an in-house solution that takes some degree of consistent care.

Also consider the feature set. Setting up an IRC client but also including file sharing, picture sharing, calling, and desktop sharing (all features Slack has) with user accounts and authentication will take several months. Lets say it takes 4, that's being very generous. If you make $60k a year, that's $20k just to get the services running, with no regard to maintenance.

A slack plus account is $13 per user. So unless slack is running for 1500+ people, it's cheaper to just use Slack. And if you do have 1500+ people, well, I'd argue you'd want Slack's infrastructure.

Oh and all this set up doesn't include a mobile app.
>>
>>61158827
Remember you're on /g/ where 90% hasn't worked a day in their lives

People here will probably argue it's better to set up a file server rather than just get cloud storage for professional use
>>
>>61158914
Yeah true. That's part of why I posted, to explain to people who maybe aren't as experienced.

And honestly, file servers have their place still. It all depends on the need of the company. If you're tossing around 100gb files, maybe cloud storage isn't the best. I'd want cloud backups though.
>>
just use whatsapp lol
>>
>>61156576
Or even RocketChat
https://rocket.chat/
>>
>>61158956
>If you're tossing around 100gb files, maybe cloud storage isn't the best.
this confused me at first but then I realised not everyone gets 1gbit internet lines still, I guess if that's the case you'd want it local yeah
>>
>>61159023
Ah yeah I could see that. Is that gigabit symmetrical? Upload would be the killer on most lines, even business ones.
>>
>>61158536
Any alternative is better.
>>
>>61155945
>>61155563
This guy has the gist of it
Be prepared to go know here in life
>>
>>61159277
>Be prepared to go know here in life
fucking phoneposters
>>
>>61159098

Enjoy making a new thread about useless the CS degree is and how everyone is dumber than you, and you still can't get a job.
>>
>>61158827
a;so it needs to be backed up, keps up to date and have redundancy
so...
>>
>>61155563
Don't, it's easy to use and everyone in the company is used to it, changing it because muh botnet is pointless you fucking autist.
>>
>>61158480
>by facebook
absolute disgust
>>
>>61160523
IRC isn't convenient for work

have you tried matrix? it's basicly slack but FOSS and self hostable
or like others said just ask the slack admin to enable xmpp/irc gateways
>>
File: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.jpg (36KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.jpg
36KB, 640x360px
>>61158480
>not just giving them bois bedroom eyes
>facebook
>>
>>61155945
OP btfo; agreed.
>>
>>61155945
This guy is right. OP just fucked his own ass while asking his CTO to judge his quality of work.
>>
>>61155563
Who cares if your work communication is in the botnet?

And if you don't know how to set up IRC why would you even suggest it for a company wide implementation

jesusfuckingchristman
>>
>>61155999
It's free
>>
slack or any other service just for the feature of it notifying you after you've not been logged in is worth it. you'd know this if your time had been valuable. There are also some cool features of slack that integrate with programming languages for example it will show you details of exceptions for a group of people to sift through.

You don't deserve this job, but this is actually a great chance for you. Drop your shit neet loser ways, become valuable in the project and make money. It's retarded to pay for slack and not just use the free version but you're a fucking retarded neet piece of shit if you unironically "recommend" irc. this is your chance to change and grow up. don't blow it
>>
>>61158827
> If you make $60k a year, that's $20k just to get the services running, with no regard to maintenance

lmao what

have you actually set up an irc server before

are you retarded

is this reddit spacing

setting up an irc server is fucking easy and barely costs anything, you just don't have the fucking tools to do what slack does, nor is it mobile, which is a large strike against it
>>
I'd kill for slack. We use hipchat.
>>
if slack is so great why are we still on /g/

also op just recommend to make a general for your company on /biz/
>>
you should be using office communicator
>>
>>61156010
IRC can do file transfers
>>
File: 1386428962764.jpg (106KB, 869x810px) Image search: [Google]
1386428962764.jpg
106KB, 869x810px
>>61155563
>fucking IRC
Top kek autism
>>
You actually think your CTO is looking to switch to IRC? He knows exactly what it is. He's probably looking to make you look really bad after wasting company time on your dumb autistic bullshit instead of getting work done, so he can finally can your ass.

Suck it the fuck up, and start doing work instead of bitching to your CTO about nonsense. If you want an actual self hosted chat server that won't make you look bad, setup rocketchat.
>>
>>61163073
What is reading ?
>>
>>61163073
That's his whole point, you fucking mong. In order to setup an IRC system with an equivalent featureset (file sharing, images, whatever) you'd need to spend way more time.
>>
>>61163134
This.
>>
>>61155563
Slack crashes windows on me.
i am convinced the error is triggered by time sensitive messages.
I can shoot the shit with our VoIP guy all day but the moment our scheduling lady needs my attention she better be ringing my ext. or windows crashes and i can only use applications...kinda
Slack is garbage, id rather use AIM like its 2004
>>
I use slack at work too.
>a million topic overlapping channels
>emoji statuses
>everyone always afk anyway
>>
>>61155563
What personal information do you and your teammates reveal in work chat? If the answer to that is 'nothing', why do you care that it's part of the Botnet? Always secure your personal computing, but I don't see how it matters in a work setting, where you're only taking about work.
>>
>>61155945

Guy just like OP works with me. Always preaching about how great Arch is and how he will only use Perl for programming. Everyone just laughs at how much of a neckbeard faggot he is. He always complains too when he gets passed up for dev and Jr. Admin positions. My advice for OP is to keep your retard fucking mouth shut. The CTO is the CTO for a fucking reason and it isn't because he shitposts on /g/ all day.
>>
>>61158498
Our company replaced Slack with Teams and, even though it's uglier, it's definitely cheaper while offering pretty much the same shit that the company needs.
>>
>>61156705
Can recommend, still sucks but you have full control and the code, works on any usable os
>>
>>61155563
Don't use IRC you fool.

If anything, run an in-office XMPP server.

But then you need someone to maintain the server. So unless you have your own Ops team then it makes sense to use Slack.
>>
>>61155563
your coworkers are probably normalfags who don't understand what this "IRC" thing is. just keep using it and stop bothering the CTO
>>
File: icq_still_alive.jpg (233KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
icq_still_alive.jpg
233KB, 1920x1200px
>>61155563
https://www.quora.com/Who-still-uses-ICQ-to-chat-Why

Find it funny icq still exists.
>>
IRC misses a lot of functionality.

Gitter is better and cheaper.
>>
>>61155563
>How do I convince them it's botnet and should we use IRC?
Install the giphy extension. This kills any company's slack.
>>
>>61166539
>the CTO is the CTO because he is competent
spotted the American.
>>
>>61155563

If you want to get everyone on IRC, just say in the office one day in a very ironic tone, 'we should, like, move to IRC!' which making everyone in the office will chuckle and probably reminisce about the days of IRC, and maybe the days before IRC by some other colleagues. Then eventually, maybe, you or someone will ironically setup an IRC server, and some will ironically use it. Sooner or later, everyone would use it.

Something like that would actually work in my workplace, at least. We all use Hipchat though, because some devops person we hired suggested it when he came in and learned we were all stuck on Skype.
>>
I also use slack but I don't have any major problem with it. I just use it because I need to use it.
>>
For what it is it's fucking fine. Yeah it's a bit resource intensive but if you're working at a decent place you'll have at least 16GB of RAM so it'll hardly be an issue. Go fuck yourself.
>>
My problem with irc is the structure in terms of permissions and stuff. Anope services and all this shit is just shit. You can not have just one account that can do everything and even stuff like kicking and banning others, taking over their channels, removing their permissions and mass-ban people with just a few clicks. If you freshly install irc servers and just install services like anope you can not just login and do this. I wrote my own little irc (in bullshit python) and implemented necessary commands myself. Sometimes the clients of the users can not handle it if the server removes channelrights or something but do it sound like I care?! Nope.
Sure, I understand why and how irc really is designed but I wanted to just turn it into an moderateable chat, that is all.
>>
>>61162988
the time setting it up, making people switch and lost time by using less features is also free?
>>
>>61163073
you don't set it up on your laptop
you need a server that costs $
you need some form of redundancy
you need to back it up and store logs
you need it in place that's secure and yet available for people working from home and yet having connection to your authentication framework at hq
all this stuff needs to be done and yet you'll have less features and less reliability than you have now

so what's the benefit?
>>
>>61169711
an rpi is enough as a server. Besides the $35, it costs as much as ten dollars a year electricity.
fuck redundancy, make a copy of the sd card
backups->sd card or usb
on the wall it shall hang
there is no authentication framework
Installation is like 15 minutes and changing like 6 lines in the conf takes 2 minutes.

But I don't really know the benefits of using irc... Maybe is the connection is encrypted nobody except you can access the logs in which people discuss work-related stuff.
>inb4 hanging on the wall is insecure
If somebody breaks into our office or intranet we have way bigger problems I guess, like our clients data.
>>
>>61169553
This, if slack makes you mad you suck at picking what to get mad about
>>
>>61155563
just use matrix.org
>>
Why do people prefer slack over hipchat? We had hipchat at my old job, I though it was great. We have to use google hangouts at my current job and it's not ideal.
>>
>>61156010
>Sending files and not linking them in the shared folder.
But I get It when it concerns pictures, it's just unnecessary to obfuscate a visual file.
I like that e.g. parts of spreadsheets get converted to pictures instantly.
>>61156047
This. We all have to hide our powerlevels. I even contemplate to use windows.
>>
What is it about IRC that keeps people so attached to it?
>>
>>61170944
nostalgia
>>
>>61169782
Because a rbi on a fucking wall in the middle of an office is a thing professionals do.
>>
>>61155563
there are self hosted - less botnet slack alternative like mattermost with most slack features including webhooks working out of the box
>>
>>61171469
Hipchat also can be self-hosted
>>
>>61171515
>Hipchat also can be self-hosted
is it gud ?
i installed mattermost so i could use slack compatibility to integrate with jenkins and kanboard
>>
>>61170944
Smart people
>>
>>61155945
This. You sound like a fucking dick OP.
>>
>>61155563
>botnet
Stop /g/ memeing. If you were actually serious, you'd say that it wouldn't matter what you use because everything has a backdoor and/or collects information.

Unless you have a legit solution that saves your company money, move on.
>>
my cto would've told me to fuck off and focus on the product
>>
File: lissencephaly.jpg (11KB, 300x193px) Image search: [Google]
lissencephaly.jpg
11KB, 300x193px
>>61155563
>How do I convince them it's botnet and should we use IRC?
Give them all lobotomies and then maybe they'll agree with your stupid fucking opinions, smoothbrain.
>>
>>61155999
Numbers confirm
>>
>>61158320
Maybe your systems are shit. I've never had a problem with slack like that.
>>
OP you're dumb.
>>
>>61171553
Yeah hipchat integrates with Jenkins and anything else through API. Lots of "chatops" plugins available. Also integrates with jira and confluence obviously since they're all atlassian tools. Only con is its expensive if you have a lot of people.
>>
Chime.aws
>>
>>61171070
So what? Yeah, we do. Our office even has folded origami animals and other things staying around. Even our router and switch just hang on the wall with cables for everyone to see.
>>
>>61155563
You don't. You convince them to use Riot and offer to bridge Slack to it, or ask for an IRC gateway to Slack.
>>
>>61155563
I hope you get fucking fired and then raped when you're living on the streets.
>>
>>61155563
whatever the fuck might be wrong with slack. someone at your company (with boss level) decided to pay a fucking amount of money for it. do you really think they will like you and be thankful if you show everyone "how dumb it was to use slack"?
>>
>>61172839
It's pretty standard for large businesses to come and be shown around the office from the people they're buying from that sort of shit woulf not look good at all
>>
>>61156705
>>61158996
I've hosted a rocket chat instance for years now for our workplace, so I can answer some questions if needed.

We use a lets encrypt cert so the whole thing is free. Runs on android and ios as well, but clients are just wrappers. Push notifications work, too.

I have made accounts for everyone, but only HR/billing/ depts use it and surprisingly, the board. Most of the lowly educated folk just use whatsapp for our company's shit, but cant blame them.

>>61155563
Just use irc and let them use slack. Slack has irc plugin, and set up push notifications to your cell from irc.
>>
>>61156041
No but it has an IRC gateway
>>
>all these slack shills
Kill yourselves
>>
>>61155945
Second post best post
>>
File: fatbee_new.png (84KB, 817x660px) Image search: [Google]
fatbee_new.png
84KB, 817x660px
>>61155563
EVERYONE ON HERE TOOK THE BAIT> WAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>all of you kys
>>
File: Arz85E0CEAAv5KK.jpg (50KB, 600x613px) Image search: [Google]
Arz85E0CEAAv5KK.jpg
50KB, 600x613px
>>61155563
OP See
>>61155606
>>
Sure is summer in here.
>>
>>61176632
Little bees, little bees..
>>
Outside of whether or not Slack is good for some companies(it is). Any company that can't afford it won't last very long.
>>
File: asddsadasasd.jpg (24KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
asddsadasasd.jpg
24KB, 300x300px
>>61155563
tell me you didn't actually do that
are you autistic OP?
>>
>>61177738
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfv1QtZDirY
>>
Switch to Skype for Business.
It integrates nicely with Exchange :-)
Thread posts: 122
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.