[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you support the right to repair /g/? Why should manufacturers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

File: 1467412274412.png (272KB, 601x1016px) Image search: [Google]
1467412274412.png
272KB, 601x1016px
Do you support the right to repair /g/? Why should manufacturers compromise safety of their products for the sake of amateurs who think they know how to repair something?
>>
>>61147488
people should be able to repair what they own, why not?

if there is a safety issue, a big label that says "don't try to fix this or you will be kill" should suffice.

i don't see how anyone could be opposed to this.
>>
>>61147488
>let's just solder on the ssd. If they want their data bad enough, they will pay us to fix that broken charger port
>>
If I own something you have no say in it afterwards
>>
>safety of their products
What the fuck is that supposed to mean? Once a product is purchased, it belongs to the consumer. If I want to set it on fire I can. Fuck off.
>>
>>61148101
The issue is whether tech companies are required to publicize data that make repair possible.
>>
>>61147488
No. Would you want your children's teachers teach them evolution and have them forcefully vaccinated? Same thing. Manufacturer will have the final say, no the end users.
>>
>>61147488
in what way does that make it more safe?
>>
>>61148692
Yes cause I'm not fucking retarded
>>
>>61148804
>regurgitates exactly what the deep state tells him
You're retarded by definition.
>>
>>61147488
>compromise safety of their products
>BURSTS INTO FLAMES 2 DAYS AFTER PURCHASE.

Seriously, Not just repair, but upgrade making something difficult to fuck with is one thing, but abusing the legal system and adding dead man switches
is not just anti consumer but also creates excess waste.
How about a buy back program and re-sell to places like mexico/india?
>>
>>61148675
>issue
not really
>>
>>61148675
i see. i thought this was about manufacturers creating lockouts that actively prevented consumers from repairing thier own shit. maybe my reading of that john deere case was wrong?
>>
>>61147488
> the safety of their products
The moment i bought a specific configuration of hardware in any form it is mine and i should have the right to even take a shit on it.
>>
>>61148992
>dead man switches

give me an example where this happens?
>>
Yes, it should be a right everywhere.
>>
>>61147488
Absolutely not. #CorporateLivesMatter

When you look at schematics you might as well be reading Das Kapital you filthy commie.

Disclaimer: I am under contract from Totally Not A Shell Corporation, Patent Trolling Division which is a subsidiary of Southeast Asian Slave Labor Industries Incorporated, whose parent company is Offshore Tax Haven.

Daily reminder that there is no alternative to the capitalist system this is the way God intended God bless the free market one day you'll own this boot.
>>
>>61147488
Because otherwise I don't buy their products.
>>
>>61147488
>compromise safety
Please explain me how soldered RAM is any safer than socketed RAM.
>>
File: IMG_0085.jpg (164KB, 1024x765px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0085.jpg
164KB, 1024x765px
Fuck off!
>>
>>61147488
No. In fact, the manufacturer should be allowed to override the user's central nervous system to directly coordinate usage of their product, to prevent unsanctioned use or unauthorized repair. The customer/product interface should be sandboxed.
>>
>>61147488
>Few huge ass capxon capacitors blown in TV
>wew lad, you shouldn't try to replace these trivially serviceable parts, buy a new TV!
>>
Right to repair doesn't mean that you personally have to repair it. You can take it to your friend who is "good with this stuff" or you can bring it to a third party repair company. They might even offer warranty for their repair.

It's about making repair a free market bringing the price of repair down. Also it's about minimizing the amount of electronic waste.
>>
>>61148804

>I can't tell sarcasm: the post
>>
>>61151103
Think he means company's intellectual property issues and/or reverse engineering to exploit hardware.
>>
>>61148657
lol
>>
>>61151336
That's protected under intellectual property laws, and making everyone publish full specs means you can hide IP theft.
>>
the right to repair will allow us to demand for schematics and diagrams for everything to a common blender or toaster to a freezer or laptop or cellphone or remote

this also requires them to still allow a way to procure parts for self servicing

>buys car and isnt allowed to service it or upgrade it
>has to use premium(tm) oil and gas
>has to use proprietary parts for engine

right to repair is a must have if we still want to keep trades and hobbyist communities and industry

reminder: the majority of innovations are in the private industry and not government researched

if we want innovation and economic growth we have to allow the right to repair

also fuck apple for trying to prevent the right to repair because apparently it enables "hackers"

seriously?
>>
>>61147488
Fuck the right to repair. If you can have patents on the manufacturing process, it's only logical you also have intellectual property on the result.
You can do as you see fit with your intellectual property. If people don't like it, they can start their own hardware company for a mere eight digits.
>>
>>61151403
>the right to repair will allow us to demand for schematics and diagrams
Which is a severe infringement of intellectual property on the design of those systems.

>this also requires them to still allow a way to procure parts for self servicing
Which is a worse return than their internal repairs. You're fucking wrecking the tech economy.

>right to repair is a must have if we still want to keep trades and hobbyist communities and industry
We don't. Hobbyists are the problem with everything. If IT knowledge were guarded like everything else that is dangerous, such as production of firearms, we would have a lot less skiddies causing trouble.
You're aware of this WannaCry shit and NotPetya, right? This wouldn't have happened if software knowledge were locked away.
The same principle applies for hardware skills.

>if we want innovation and economic growth we have to allow the right to repair
Innovation happens from competition, not from patching up products back together. The only thing it'll open is a secondary market, weakening existing players, and harming serviceable devices into trash because of the information asymmetry between the manufacturer and the third party repair shops. Most of the time, it will go well, but when it doesn't, people will be in uproar.
The repair shops won't take off after the first exploding device, period.

>also fuck apple for trying to prevent the right to repair because apparently it enables "hackers"
>
>seriously?
Yes, seriously. The iOS market is a big one, billions of dollars change hands over the App Store. Piracy is a serious threat to that. Even if piracy itself were not an issue, the fact that publishers are terrified of it would cause apps to be pulled from the App Store again.
Hardware vulnerabilities are per definitionem unpatchable. Can you imagine how much of a shock it would be if people could get privileged access abusing flaws in hardware design and then use that to develop exploits from a top-down perspective?
>>
>>61151507
none of this seems to be a issue in the auto industry

care to explain why?
>>
>>61151530
You can't pirate a car and you can't make a car from scratch.
You can pirate software and you can make a computer from scratch.
That's why.
>>
>>61151507
>he wants locked down hardware and thinks hobbiests are the problem

GET THE FUCK OFF /G/
>>
>>61151539
>make a computer from scratch

no one is able to do SMT at home anymore

just like no one can produce a car at home

but both can be produced at factories by competing corporations

what stops ford from stealing european engine specs?

nothing because its all open knowledge
>>
>>61151544
The problem is in theory it will be heavens, in reality people are shit and they will exploit schematics and specifics in every fucking possible way.

An example could be you getting literal shit clone parts made in some country that gives fuck all about patents.

On top of that companies will be forced to put even more tamper-proof crap on their hardware because you can bet your ass someone will fuck with it and then the client will come crying at the seller blaming him or the manufacturing company.
>>
>>61151586
wrong.

the reason why we have exploits like wanacry ect is because not enough eyes were able to audit it

if software is designed to have eyes on it and be secure itll be 100% more secure

stuff like intels embedded remote support werent known of well documented and that is why it was a exploit for 7 years

if it was open like coreboot this would of never been a issue

you are just a shill advocating for backdoors though ;)
>>
>>61151507
People like you should be enslaved since you have no problem fucking you own rights up and don't mind it.
>>
>>61147488
People don't have the right to take apart other corporations products. You pay to use an IPhone not to take it apart. It's against the EULA. Respect the laws of this country.
>>
>>61147488
>Why should you be allowed to fix your own stuff?
Yes, of course. Fixing it yourself instead of paying a company to fix it... is literally stealing!
>>
>>61153775
>Yes, of course. Fixing it yourself instead of paying a company to fix it... is literally stealing!

You dumb idiot
It;s steeling if you don't throw it away and buy a new one.
>>
>>61153810
Yes, well, some of us are only holding 3 jobs so we cannot afford to just buy new, sheesh!
>>
>>61153612
you pay for the product so it belongs to you, which includes the hardware, renting shit is what you're talking about, moron. btw what you gonna do about it? solder your hardware and i learn to unsolder it. its that simple
>>
File: thisisbait.jpg (20KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
thisisbait.jpg
20KB, 625x626px
>>
File: 01-replica.jpg (97KB, 750x422px) Image search: [Google]
01-replica.jpg
97KB, 750x422px
>>61151539

>can't make a car from scratch
Do I have some news for you, anon...
>>
>>61151507
oh my god dude your way to think is so fucked up i can't even

>intellectual property
if apple releases the schematics for iphones an anonymous company can produce like 10 of them before being assraped from the government

>cheap parts being a problem for low returns
what? if anything they cost more to the small user

>hobbyst are a problem
here i'd just want to kill you, technology progresses cause a lot of people enjoy playing with it, few of them will result in actually good engineers with good ideas. i just want to have fun in my garage

>this will only open a secondary market
which again, it is good for competition. remember apple was just a bunch of nerds in a garage running a secondary market when IBM was around

>hackers
hacking it's good, even wannacry was good, it showed a flaw. the fault was on the NHS or whoever got caught for not updating their shit.
>>
>>61148666
But there are some conditions of ownership. For example, you set your macbook on fire and granny gets scared and dies or something. You can't sue applel because, you know, those papers included in the box tell you not to set it on fire... These terms and condiotins are accepted by the buyer automaticly. It's also writen in there that you can't buy the macbook and put an acer or a "john's laptop brand" logo on it and clam that it's not a macbook.
If companies actually cared, they could literally sue you for fucking a product up like you were a youtube durability tester. Funny isn't it ?
>>
>>61151586
If your product is so shit that it's indistinguishable from a chink clone, then you don't deserve to stay in business
>>
>>61154827
No, Chink clones may be the better option. They often are repairable.
>>
>>61150192
Try to replace your home button on your fagphone or fagpad.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.