[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best way to get good internet in an outhouse

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1496947363658.jpg (255KB, 1536x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1496947363658.jpg
255KB, 1536x1536px
What's the best way to get good internet in an outhouse at the end of the garden? It's about 30-40m away from the house, and the router's in the living room from where you have to go through a conservatory to get to the garden. Is it possible to get decent latency using only wireless boosters, or would I need to pass a cable? I'm not a CS:GO world champion but I'd still like decent ping when sperging out in like rocket league or something (speaking of rocket league, it starts rubberbanding unbearably above 100ms ping, so I'd like to avoid that).

If I do have to pass a cable, would it have to be connected to the router's ethernet port or is it possible to just extend the house's broadband/phone line, hook up another microfilter and maybe some other sort of networking doohickey and get it to connect to the same LAN?

Pic unrelated, for clickbait
>>
File: l_16842033_004-700x700.jpg (54KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
l_16842033_004-700x700.jpg
54KB, 700x700px
>>61143563
waddup doggo

the best solution for your problem is a powerline network adapter. Look it up.
>>
>>61143630
This won't work if it isn't on the same power as the house

I'm confused, is the outhouse connected to the house? Why are you playing csgo in an outhouse?
>>
>>61143826
It will also have shit ping and bandwidth.
>>
>>61143826
It will, in fact, be connected to the house power, so that may be a solution. Though >>61144106 is concerning.

I'm going to be mostly living there because I'm still studying, my city has absolutely extortionate property prices, and my parents are more than happy to let me stay, but I'm getting tired of being around 24/7. The outhouse is a very cheap solution, that will work just fine in just about every aspect except this one, which I'm still trying to figure out.

Are the problems with powerline inherent to the system, or can they be solved with a higher-end adapter? The simplest solution I can think of - literally plugging an ethernet cable into the router, then passing it to the outhouse along with the power cables - is going to cost a shitton to do properly (meaning: better than just trailing a wire along the floor/wall) due to the house plan and router placement, so I'm completely fine with solutions that cost a couple hundred dollars as long as they actually work properly for my purposes.
>>
>>61144233
Running an ethernet cable will work the best. Those adapters are pretty finicky to start with and from what I’ve heard they don't like transmitting over long distances. You could also try a wireless solution I guess, if you have good line of sight.
>>
>>61144534
Fug. Can I extend my house's phone line directly and somehow connect this way (without having to buy another subscription from the ISP)? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I can't into networking very well. Doing that would be a lot more convenient than trying to pass a cable from the actual router.

There's decent LOS but on windy or foggy days it might get fucked up, so I'm not sure if I wanna experiment with like infrared lasers or whatever (plus I'd get connection problems whenever someone would walk around in the garden). It's almost certainly good enough LOS for good old wifi but is it possible to get a good connection over this kind of distance using that?
>>
>>61144233
I use one of those adapters and it works great, but I know people that have had theirs not work or preform terribly. It really depends on the house and the distance, and if you have new electric cables or really old ones. You could try ordering one on Amazon and see if it works, the return policy is so lenient that if it doesn't work, or if you just don't like it, you can get your money back.
>>
>>61144620
So if i'm understanding you correctly, it's routing the cable inside of the house that's the problem, and getting a cable from your house to the outhouse is fine? Couldn't you use the adapters for the interior cabling and use a proper ethernet cable for the long range outdoor segment?
>>
>>61144804
Problem is I'm currently in the planning/getting quotes phase for passing electricity to the outhouse. So I can't test it until that's done, but if I also need to pass an internet cable I need to know that now because then it will be too late.

Naturally the bulk of the cabling will be new, though it will probably pass through some really old cables inside the main house itself depending on where I plug it in - and the distance is, like I said, about 40m total.

By "works great", do you also get good ping/latency?

>>61144840
Essentially yes - see above, I'm already passing an electrical cable so it likely won't be too much extra work.
I could try that but the poster directly above you claims the age of the cables matter, meaning I'd be using the powerline to transfer only accross the section which has the really old electrical wiring.

It's certainly an idea I will keep in mind though. At least this gives me an ethernet cable in the garden, so I can then experiment with various solutions inside the house to see which works.
>>
>>61144892
I get good ping, it's like I'm plugged straight into the router, however if you are wiring things up anyway you should really just get Ethernet out there, it's garunteed to work
>>
>>61144892
If you're already getting cabling installed for electricity the only sane option is to install an Ethernet cable as well. It's going to be by far the simplest, most reliable and fastest option. Just find a way to deal with it in the house, routing a cable half-decently isn't rocket science and this shit is basically going to remain installed permanently, don't go with options which you know to be inferior from the get-go (wireless, powerline).
>>
>>61143563

There are ethernet over powerline options you could use.

You could also get ubiqiti point to point gear and use wireless.
>>
OP, an outhouse is a small shed-sized structure that has a toilet in it. This thread was very confusing for a few minutes.

I had luck with WiFi at that distance, but the 2 rooms (router/receiver) had direct LoS. Ethernet is probably your best choice.
>>
File: coverage.jpg (114KB, 864x565px) Image search: [Google]
coverage.jpg
114KB, 864x565px
>>61143563

Well if you don't go wired here is the "fuck it" option

http://a.co/7MVwTne

you could get 2 of these, one on each end.
The range is great and the bonus is your cuck shed will get great reception if you wanted to go strictly wireless. If you need or want a wired connection set the other as a client and plug in a switch if you need more than 2 ports.

note the distances and latency
>>
>>61143563
I have a cat >:3
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.