[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to learn a programming language because I've got

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: 1-OF594B5qtCJR9MFSRTI-5g.png (686KB, 1432x782px) Image search: [Google]
1-OF594B5qtCJR9MFSRTI-5g.png
686KB, 1432x782px
I want to learn a programming language because I've got nothing better to do and I'm tired of my shitty fast food service job. Where should I start if I want to get ready for an entry-level IT job?
>>
>>61142860
Community college
They're cheap af and help a lot
>>
File: annoyedpepe.jpg (20KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
annoyedpepe.jpg
20KB, 306x306px
>>61142860

>telling people to get started on python
>saying java is like an automatic transmission

god is dead
>>
File: 1493222031725.jpg (32KB, 447x456px) Image search: [Google]
1493222031725.jpg
32KB, 447x456px
>>61142860

the damn pic you posted answers this question for you

what is wrong with you people? pls dont get into IT
>>
>>61142860

start on java

if you are interested in web development, move onto javascript

if you are interested in doing super-fast number crunching and developing real desktop applications, move onto C++

if you are interested in hacking together automated procedures really fast, move onto python

if you want to be a sysadmin, install linux and grow a gross beard
>>
>>61142860
If your state has community college I highly recommend that. They helped me
>>
>>>/adv/
>>
Very few programmers only know one programming language. Once you know one, it's very easy to learn another, and people sometimes get programming jobs in languages they've never used before, because the actual difficulty lies in having the right problem-solving mentality rather than in just knowing what to type.

So you should start with the language that is the best place to start, and that is Python.
>>
>>61142860
The image is a pretty accurate summary.
>>
>>61144682
noobie here learning python, it's easy and fun but i see a lot of people here talking about its lack of performance and speed. When should i start worrying about this?
>>
File: 1418882131332.jpg (58KB, 400x534px) Image search: [Google]
1418882131332.jpg
58KB, 400x534px
If you can't even bring yourself to be decisive enough without loads of outside input to start, how you can you possibly bring yourself to do literally any other step in the process without having to continuously ask /g/ what to do?

Sure, it's nice to do your research, but having an experimental mindset and being willing to just try shit for yourself is an indispensable trait. Every move doesn't have to be the best move.

Sometimes making a shitty move here and there makes for a great learning opportunity.
>>
i like how Ruby just isn't anywhere in the photo, lol >>61142860
>>
>>61145480
Bottom right, under the "play doh" bubble.
>>
>>61142860
Why do all roads lead to python?
>>
>>61145370
Always ask yourself is (insert currenr generic language) too (insert negative) for the current thing im working on?
If Yes look into which language is better than (current generic language)
If No then keep on working

For python the answer is Yes most of the time if you are doing something complex
You are a newbie so by the time you start doing something complex enough that speed is your handicap you will not care about if you are using python or for example java.
>>
>>61146413
Because python is the best language to get up and running quickly and if you aren't aiming for something specific is the jack of all trades
>>
>>61142860
>More money -> Get a job -> 3D Gaming
Yeah, the gaming industry is known for its lucrative salaries and comfortable work conditions.
>>
>>61145555
What's worse is that Twitter was written with Ruby on Rails, read the question leading to it.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.