[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 38

File: Tux_reading_newspaper.jpg (98KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
Tux_reading_newspaper.jpg
98KB, 768x576px
Previous thread: >>61121723

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/769497
/t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: >>>/t/713097

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
http://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy
>>
I suspect OP is Brazilian.
>>
>>61133622
Not really no, but thank you on revealing the language on the newspaper is Brazilian, I was curious.
>>
So on my current, outdated, setup for usb tethering I just put
allow-hotplug usb0
iface usb0 inet dhcp
metric 30

In /etc/network/interfaces and then tell my phone to tether and thats it.
Is there an easy way to do it with systemd and the new predictable naming scheme? Because according to arch wiki you have to create a udev rules file and a service file for ... each specific usb port that you might use? Or do it manually each time.
>>
>>61133645
>language on the newspaper is Brazilian
Oh, you are american, I see.
>>
>>61133653
Device UUID maybe?
>>
File: 2017-06-29-08:44:56.png (42KB, 721x425px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-29-08:44:56.png
42KB, 721x425px
Beep is muted, but I'm still getting beeps. I have to blacklist the pcspkr module to prevent random programs from making sound (like my file manager).
Is this really the recommended way?
>>
>>61134333
Yes.
Although I doubt those programs are calling it directly I think it is from the \a escape seqeunce or the X alert thingy.
>>
>>61133611
how to make gnome smaller?
>>
>>61134519

Restrict his food.
>>
I have two network cards, how do i set up xrdp to listen only one of them?
>>
What is the best looking minimal desktop environment, im literally switching to linux because I cant stand how ugly windows is
>>
Everything's chicken but the motherfuckin' bone
>>
*eats something from your foot*
>>
>>61134747
IMHO, Xfce

*runs away in fear*
>>
>>61134747
>DE
Xfce
>>
>>61134856
Gross af my nigga. Don't eat shit if it's not you're own foot callus. Seriously dude what the fuck?
>>
*denounces capitalism and advocates for a communistic society*
>>
>>61134886
>>>/pol/
>>
File: 1468667461351.jpg (3KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1468667461351.jpg
3KB, 125x125px
>>61134868
>IMHO, Xfce
Good choice. Especially if you a balla, doin' big type thangs, fucking BIG HOES, and wearin' brand new clothes.
>>
File: 1462792236321.png (426KB, 780x871px) Image search: [Google]
1462792236321.png
426KB, 780x871px
>tfw managed to tunnel a port through ssh for the first time
feels secure
>>
>>61134930
What do you mean
>>
>>61134930
>having openssh installed AT ALL
FEELS DANGEROUS MAN!
>>
>>61134944
Oh frick off. It's fine.
>>
>>61134954
HAHAHA
>>
>>61134957
What's so funny?

:-/
>>
File: 1469243650070.png (209KB, 604x613px) Image search: [Google]
1469243650070.png
209KB, 604x613px
>>61134944
R-really? My disto has it installed by default. Should I be worried?
>>
>>61134944
As opposed to what? Closing all of my ports and unplugging the internet? that would make for a pretty shitty server.
Now i can just close all ports to the outside except ssh and then just tunnel everything and be almost 100% secure.
It's not like nsa will try to hack my shit, we are talking about chinese bots and shit
>>
>>61134964
No, she's just trolling. Ignore her.
>>
>>61134972
>As opposed to what? Closing all of my ports and unplugging the internet?
No, just not having a huge vulnerability installed that's all. openssh is easily exploitable.
>>
>>61134980
No it's not.
Stop parroting things you read on the internet and don't even understand them
>>
>>61134992
>Stop parroting things you read on the internet
I never read this anywhere, it's common sense.
>>
>>61135005
You aren't very smart are you son? It's ok, someone has to flip those burgers
>>
>>61135005
>common sense
How is that common sense? Are you mentally ill?
>>
>>61135052
>feeding the trole
>2017 q3
it's like if its 04 all over again
>>
>>61135067
Ah, so she was merely pretending. I can sleep easy tonight.
>>
>>61135067
>q3
Isn't it q2?
>>
>>61135016
lmao seriously. You should avoid ssh if at all possible.

>>61135052
No. You don't think it introduces a huge vulnerabilities? It does. Holy shit, how dumb are you? Do a fucking web search.
>>
>>61135094
No q3 is in 2 days which means that q2 is more that 0.5 done which means it gets rounded up to q3
jesusfuck son it's basic arithmetic
>>
>>61135105
>Do a fucking web search
I did and there were no relevant results, therefore you're lying.
>>
>>61135134
>I did and there were no relevant results, therefore you're lying.
Fake ass news holy shit
>>
>>61135118
How so? A quadrimester is 4 months, we're at the end of june, so about one month left for the third.
>>
>>61135148
>Fake news
Ah, so now we can confirm you are a troll.
>>
>>61135167
That's a trimester you mongoloid.
There are 2 semesters in a year. 3 trimesters. 4 quadrimesters. 12 months.
Now applying some basic math:
(12 months / year) / (4 quadrimesters / year) = 3 months / quadrimester.
You're welcome
>>
>>61135167
Are you serious? Anon.,.. a year doesn't have 16 months, well, at least you have your retard strength.
>>
>>61135188
>3 trimesters
Lol, dumbo
>>
>>61135188
>>61135189
Oh fuck. I messed up.
>>
>>61135207
Where is your handler?
>>
sudo apt-get install pv cmatrix && PS1="" && clear; $(mpv -vo null --no-terminal "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdAMq5LdAvs") & 2>&1>/dev/null; setterm -term linux -back black -fore green && clear && tput cup 2 0 && echo "Follow the white rabbit." | pv -qL 10 && sleep 12 && clear && tput cup 2 0 && echo "Knock, knock, Neo." | pv -qL 50 && sleep 10 && killall mpv && reset && cmatrix
>>
Is there some application for ubuntu which will allow me to make a snapshot of the current os state so if i destroy the system i will be able to easily restore it, the same way i can take a snapshot in virtual box?
>>
>>61135385
you can use dd to clone the entire drive, for example to an external SSD
>>
>>61135412
>dd
How would backing up and restoring work? Let's say i have made a back up onto another hdd and then ran apt dist-upgrade which completely broke my system which isn't even booting anymore, how would i go about restoring it to the precise state of the time when i ran the back up?
>>
>>61134930
How deep down the rabbit hole are you? SSH port forwarding is all sorts of nice.

Immediately set up a SOCKS proxy to tunnel traffic through a remote host:
ssh -D $LOCALPORT $REMOTEHOST

Normal port forwarding: open local port, forward traffic through the SSH connection to host/port on the remote side - e.g., to talk to a remote hosts's HTTP port through your local port 8080:
ssh -L 8080:127.0.0.1:80 $REMOTEHOST

Reverse port forwarding: open a port in a remote host that will forward traffic back through the SSH connection to any host/port on the local side - e.g., to expose your own HTTP server to a remote host's port 8080:
ssh -R 8080:127.0.0.1:80 $REMOTEHOST

I love that last one because it means that even if you're behind a restrictive NAT you can still expose your own ports to remote hosts, as long as they have their own SSH port open.
>>
>>61135442
dd the entire drive to an external one
now you have a snapshot of a working system, files and all
if you fuck up your real system just plug the external drive and use dd to copy it all back
now your drive is in the exact same state as it was when you backed it up
>>
>>61135447
>you can still expose your own ports to remote hosts
l-lewd
>>
>>61135461
waaaaait, is that just a fancy ctrl c + v
>>
>emerge firefox
>40 minutes and counting
Wew lad
>>
>>61135473
kinda, but it works better because it clones everything bit for bit
it overwrites the old data on the hard drive so you don't get any residue in the drive itself
>>
>>61135447
Yeah it's pretty nice, i am using it to hide my web traffic from our annoying cunt network admin who thinks hes hot shit when he blocked facebook, 4chins and gave shit to people about browsing leisure sites during work hours.
Well, since """"need"""" to connect to my home computer to do """"work"""" stuff via ssh, he can't say shit and all of my electronic slacking off is nice and safe, because good luck spying on all of that encrypted traffic
>>
>>61135480
What did you expect
>>
>>61135480
Firefox, Thunderbird and LibreOffice are the worst for compiling
They are huge pieces of software
>>
The satisfying feeling when you finally find the bug which has caused your system to boot in 3+ minutes and manage to get it down to 13 seconds.
>>
>>61135632
you installed windows?
>>
>>61135643
I did not
>>
File: image.jpg (932KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
932KB, 3264x2448px
any idea why this would happen out of nowhere even after specifically making sure to shut down instead of just flipping the PSU off? I've had no other problems so far in just over 2 months of daily use yet for some reason after shutting down, unplugging the drive's SATA, and plugging it back in and booting a few hours later like I've done at least a dozen times before it's now broken and I don't really know how to proceed. I wouldn't normally ask but I have no idea where to even start and currently an iphone 4 with a cracked screen is my only computer so troubleshooting will be hard.
>>
>>61135759
>flipping PSU off, unplugging the drive's SATA
Why.
Chances are some write process on the drive wasn't finished and now it's corrupted. Here's what I'd do:
>boot into live system
>mount drive
>connect external drive
>salvage all data you want to keep
>unmount external drive and disconnect it
>unmount internal drive
>format internal drive
>reinstall OS
>get in the habit of shutting down properly
>>
>>61135480
Just install the binaries
>>
https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/

Is there any project owned by redhat that isn't shit?
>>
>>61135973
some quotes from gnome developers

>Facilitating the unrestricted use of extensions and themes by end users seems contrary to the central tenets of the GNOME 3 design. We’ve fought long and hard to give GNOME 3 a consistent visual appearance, to make it synonymous with a single user experience and to ensure that that experience is of a consistently high quality. A general purpose extensions and themes distribution system seems to threaten much of that.

>I’m particularly surprised by the inclusion of themes. It seems bizarre that we specifically designed the GNOME 3 control center not to include theme installation/selection and then to reintroduce that very same functionality via extensions.

>The point is that it decreases our brand presence. That particular user might understand what it is that they are running, but the person who sees them using their machine or even sees their screenshots on the web will not. The question we have to ask ourselves is: how do we make sure that people recognise a GNOME install when they see one?

>We’ve always argued that if it is anything, GNOME is a UX. There might be a case for letting people tweak things here and there, but I really think that every GNOME install should have the same core look and feel. Otherwise, what is it that we are doing in the first place?

Don't customise goy, use stock, paint the logo on your forehead, we brand whores now.
>>
>>61136007
>UX
These people do not deserve to live.
>>
>>61136007>>61136035

Developer of Transmission was approached by gnome developers to remove the functionality of adding a notification icon in the status bar (staple for any desktop environment/window manager comibnation but removed in gnome)

He replies:
>So now we can have three builds of Transmission that decide at compile time whether to use AppIndicator, GtkStatusIcon, or nothing at all, over such a stupid feature?
>Removing it altogether, as you suggest, will hurt XFCE users.
>I wish GNOME, Canonical, and everyone else involved would settle on one consistent API for this and stop fucking the app developers over.
>In order for this ticket to move forward, I’d like you to tell me what change should be made to Transmission that will make it work properly, out of the box, on GNOME Shell, Unity, and XFCE.

To which gnome developers reply
>I guess you have to decide if you are a GNOME app, an Ubuntu app, or an XFCE app unfortunately. I’m sorry that this is the case but it wasn’t GNOME’s fault that Ubuntu has started this fork. And I have no idea what XFCE is or does sorry.

Your app is no longer "GTK app". It's Gnome, Ubuntu or XFCE app. Enjoy.
>>
>>61136051
So just give the GNOME fucks the middle finger, let them whine all they want about your icon and leave it up to them to hide it from the user, if they care so much.

Honestly, I don't see what the problem is, here. Let them make GNOME a single """user experience""". If you like it, use it. If not, don't.
I do hate people who unironically talk about brand recognition, UX and the like though. Fucking leeches. "I'm an idea guy lol now give me money for copying Apple and talking out of my ass"
>>
wtf i hate gnome now
>>
>>61136007
If they ever disable the user themes I am switching to KDE.
Until then, I am fine with where they take GNOME. There's really no need to customize it too much but the themes are the best part. Default one isn't awful but I like Flat Plat much more and I want to be able to use it. I don't think this affects the GNOME experience in any way.
>>
Under gentoo, the USE flags priority are make.defaults > make.conf > package.use > environement variable.
But there's like 30 make.defaults files defined by the profile, so how do I override that priority order to make a package use a specific flag?
>>
>>61136721
install ge-
oh wait
>>
File: bd.jpg (52KB, 600x604px) Image search: [Google]
bd.jpg
52KB, 600x604px
>>61133645
>tha language on the newspaper is Brazilian
>>
If i have /poo/pee
where poo is 0000 and pee is 7777, will all users still be able to access the pee directory?
>>
Why isn't JACK the default audio system on linux? It's awesome compared to pusaudio
>>
>>61137031
If they know the full path, yes.
>>
>>61137042
Well, shit. I thought that if i lock the top directory i'm done nice and safe, so you telling me i have to chmod every single one? fuck. It's specially annoying for new files which get created later as 777.
>>
>>61137042
>>61137031
No you can't. I'm pretty sure you need access to the whole path.
I added something with mod 666 in /root and my normal user can't open it.
>>
>>61137031
>>61137065

777 on anything is a really, really bad idea
>>
This nigga write a whole first person shooter in awk: https://github.com/TheMozg/awk-raycaster/blob/master/awkaster.awk
>>
>>61137762
you may like this https://github.com/uuner/sedtris
>>
Is sim link the same thing as a shortcut? So if i add a simlink to a directory via terminal and place into a home folder of some user and he logs in via gnome, will he see that symlink and be able to click it?
>>
File: 1498572724067.jpg (22KB, 418x460px) Image search: [Google]
1498572724067.jpg
22KB, 418x460px
>>61137762
>there are enemies
fugg

Impressive.
>>
>>61137813
If he has read access to this access, absolutely.

Think of symbolic links as spacesavers. Instead of having two copies of exactly the same file in different directory with the potential trouble to keep them the same in case you need to modify one you just make one file and create a link to said file in a different directory.
>>
Where were you when motd turned into a place for ads? https://motd.ubuntu.com/
>>
File: hacker-pro.png (35KB, 432x397px) Image search: [Google]
hacker-pro.png
35KB, 432x397px
>>61137876
i was sat at home sperging over devuan when sergio ring

'systemd is kill'

'yes'
>>
>>61137849
I see. And can symlink also be controlled with chmod?
>>
>>61133645
Just so you know Brazilian isn't a language... It's Portuguese
>>
File: 2017-06-29-153944_739x394_scrot.png (31KB, 739x394px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-29-153944_739x394_scrot.png
31KB, 739x394px
>>61137956
Time to start reading manpages friend.
>>
>>61138005
I would, but alas, i have a life.
>>
File: 1498224618514.jpg (27KB, 430x430px) Image search: [Google]
1498224618514.jpg
27KB, 430x430px
>>61134914
SuWuu nigga
Xfce is alright
>>
>>61138005
>>61138039
There's also this thing
https://itsfoss.com/tldr-linux-man-pages-simplified/
>>
How do I get Crunchyroll to work on Linux (stable Debian)?
>>
>>61134747
XFCE with the Arc gtk theme.
>>
>>61138194
You should stop supporting unethical distribution schemes and watch CR rips instead.

But, if for whatever reason you really want to pay CR, you should still watch rips instead - you'll be getting the exact same video without any of the inconveniences.
>>
Ive got some truck cameras from a company. For some reason they put something on the sd cards we get from them so I dont go buy my own sd cards and get theirs for a premium instead. So I made a copy of one of theirs with dd and it works.

I want to make a file out of a dd command from an sd card. Can I do that? And then just use that file to dd onto other sd cards at a later date. So I can just keep making copies when I get new cards. Any idea how to do this? Ive always avoided fucking around with dd cause of the damage it can do. Ive used to to copy failing drives and moving from one drive to a larger one using gparted after to expand the partition. Ive never done anything but drive to drive full copies though.
>>
>>61138932

Im pretty sure I can just point it at a file but I want to hear from people have used it since dd can probably fuck everything up. Im pretty sure its a byte for byte copy and I imagine I can fuck up my file system I am copying it onto easily.
>>
>>61138932
dd if=/path/to/sd of=sdimage.iso

It will output everything as an .iso file.
That's how I made .iso files from CDs.
>>
>>61138156
Seems interesting but i am pretty turned off by having to install the node.js bloat just to use that command
>>
>>61139076
I did it through python.
pip tldr.py

There's also other clients.

http://tldr.sh/#installation
>>
>>61139112
Why don't they just provide normal implementation via apt install tldr?
>>
>>61139144
Honestly I have no idea, maybe there will be one at one point.
>>
hey, /fglt/
what are your opinions on calculate linux?
any other decent rolling release alternatives?
>>
>>61139185
Sabayon?
Gentoo itself?
>>
So my server has two IPs, 1.1.1.1 and 2.2.2.2 if i use ufw, how can i open port 1337 on only 1.1.1.1?
So that from the outside 1.1.1.1:1337 works fine, but 2.2.2.2:1337 is blocked?
If i do "ufw allow 1337" then it opens the port on both of the IPs and i don't want that
>>
>>61139273
can you not use iptables scripts?
>>
>>61139273
Nigga i don't even know what that is, i just found this when i googled firewall for ubuntu
>>
>>61137031
Directory permissions 101:
r - search permission = you can list what's inside the directory (e.g. ls directory/ )
w - write permission = you can change the directory and what's inside (provided you have necessary permissions on the files)
x - execute permission = you can enter the directory and read/write/exec files inside if you know their names (even without search permission; only if you have the necessary permissions on the files inside)
g - SGID bit = files created inside the directory will have group set to the group of the directory
t - sticky bit = files inside the directory can only be deleted by their owners
>>
>>61138156
>>61139076
>>61139112
>>61139144
>>61139163
curl cheat.sh/<your-command>
>>
>>61138005
>>61138039

The ability to read the documentation will be needed if you ever do this stuff for work or professionally in any way.
>>
>>61135973
No. Even RHEL 7 is such a mess everyone I know hates it.
>>
>>61138932
>>61138980
You've probably read "everything is a file" while reading about GNU/Linux or other unix-like OSs. This is what people mean: for a program, like dd, writing to a normal file in your filesystem, or to a block device like /dev/sdb1, or to a special file like /dev/null, feels basically the same.

That other anon got you covered already. Minor note: you may want to avoid the .iso extension when the image does not contain an ISO filesystem - it won't cause any problems, it simply might cause you some confusion. You can use any extension, or none at all in fact.

And here's a tip that'll make dd a bit less scary: you don't need to use the raw device path like /dev/sdb1. Under /dev/disk you'll find symbolic links with much friendlier and less error-prone names. /dev/disk/by-label/ is great for labelled volumes, but my favorite is probably /dev/disk/by-id/: out of a filename that begins with ata- and one that begins with usb-, there's hardly any doubt as to which is your internal HDD and which your USB flash drive. These links point to the corresponding device files, so you can use them in your commands in their place.
>>
>install some snap via console
>need an account to install or remove snaps
>remove
>REMOVE
>>
everything about computers is shit, if you think otherwise you just don't know enough yet.
this is depressing.
>>
shell scripting greybeards pls halp.

My goal is to crudely replicate the functionality of redshift (automatic, smooth dimming) with sct (tool for controlling temperature) a shell script and a cronjob.

All I an come up is case statement that compares the output of date for the minute of the hour and runs a a command that adjusts color temperature.
from 6500K to 3000K, 100K per change (it's smooth enough i checked) would give me a case statement with 35 arguments (one every minute). Looks a little bit too much no?

Is there any way to make it more efficient?
>>
>>61140092
ubuntu
more like ubotnet am i right?
>>
Why the fuck is NetworkManager-wait-online.service wasting 9 seconds during boot? And how can I optimize that? My current boot time is 28 seconds.
9.344s NetworkManager-wait-online.service
6.758s dev-sda5.device
5.115s loadcpufreq.service
4.405s ModemManager.service
3.887s accounts-daemon.service
3.441s lm-sensors.service
3.400s speech-dispatcher.service
3.008s rsyslog.service
3.008s pppd-dns.service
2.986s systemd-logind.service
2.838s alsa-restore.service
2.831s rtkit-daemon.service
2.830s avahi-daemon.service
1.637s udisks2.service
1.628s systemd-modules-load.service
1.593s systemd-udevd.service
1.399s NetworkManager.service
1.345s keyboard-setup.service
>>
>>61140212
Don't set anything that depends on internet to start on boot.
wait-online is a meme, just connect as fast as possible
>>
>>61140212
disable it lmao
I think it runs the dhcp shit and waits for the connection to be fully established
>>
>>61140092
>snaps
You got what you deserved.
>>
how do you set the UI font (in the tabs and urlbar not webpages) in chromium on linux

after installing gimp it changes my chromium font and it looks retarded and when I uninstall gimp with its dependencies everything is normal again
>>
>>61140212
You are very lucky. Every time i reboot my loonix server i have to wait almost for minutes while it's stuck on some stupid raising network interfaces bullshit
>>
What is the best gallery software for ubuntu? I need something simple for mom. She has thousands of photos a shes currently using a directory tree to manage them which is just too much effort
>>
>>61140421
you can modify you fontconfig file, or if you are using gnome use gnome-tweak-tool
>>
File: 1491605819423.png (3KB, 484x472px) Image search: [Google]
1491605819423.png
3KB, 484x472px
>>61139112
Just made this one for fun. r8/h8
#!/bin/sh
# GPLv3+

if [ "${#}" -ne 1 ]; then
printf 'install gentoo\n'
exit 1
fi

parse() {
curl -sS "https://github.com/tldr-pages/tldr/blob/master/pages/${1}/${2}.md" \
| html2text -style pretty -width "$(tput cols)" \
| sed '/sloc/,/Jump to Line/!d' \
| sed '1,3d; s/^\s\+//; $d'
}

request="${1}"

response="$(parse 'common' "${request}")"

if [ -z "${response}" ]; then
response="$(parse 'linux' "${request}")"
fi

if [ -z "${response}" ]; then
response='No results.'
fi

printf -- '%s\n' "${response}" \
| grep --color=always "${request}\|$"

>>61140121
Sounds neat, please post sauce when finished.
>>
File: 1476428326240.png (182KB, 383x384px) Image search: [Google]
1476428326240.png
182KB, 383x384px
>tfw shit doesn't have lowercase names
>X
>Xresouces
>NetworkManager
>>
>>61140695
Can you make it so that it pipes the output into 'less' so that it feels more like using man?
>>
File: 1488606152109.jpg (57KB, 474x604px) Image search: [Google]
1488606152109.jpg
57KB, 474x604px
>>61140092
bot kek
>>
>>61140932
Just replace the last part with
printf -- '%s\n' "${response}" \
| grep --color=always "${request}\|$" \
| less -R
>>
>use two computers and switch between them daily
>config files and regular files change between them
>have to constantly copy back and forth

Holy shit, this is hell. I wrote a tiny script which compares two directories for changes (compares hashes) and then I manually copy with scp between them (using a wrapper script). I don't know how other people handle this or if I'm approaching this wrongly. I thought about having one of them act as a "server", but it's not really viable, because I still need the config files and I sometimes take the laptop with me, so it's not feasible.

End of blog.
>>
>>61141046
rsync. literally exactly what you need
>>
>>61140987
Whoa thanks man, this is way better than the shitty python client.
>>
File: 1472169473210.png (177KB, 298x360px) Image search: [Google]
1472169473210.png
177KB, 298x360px
>>61141097
>>
>>61140944
why is there no laughing_botnets.jpg on the interwebz ;_;
>>
>>61141087

Yes, but rsync can't sync in both directions.
That's the tricky part. Because files change on both computers, so it become a clusterfuck. I found a program which apparently deals with that, but even the author said it's not 100% safe, because they can't really know which version you want (just based on modification time).
>>
>>61141202
use version control.
>>
>>61135804
I specifically said that despite being what I usually do, this problem has only appeared after shutting down properly despite two improper shutdowns earlier in the day working just fine.
>>
What is the most comfy way to transfer data from ubuntu to android. What do you use? ssh, ftp, usb?
>>
>>61139389
The cheat.sh guy should just copy paste the stuff from all these manpage-for-retards projects like tldr, bropages, cheat, etc into his repo and use it for cheat.sh.
>>
Gnome: Apple without the good taste.
>>
>>61141381
do it urself

curl cheat.sh/:post
>>
File: tasting_the_gnome.png (55KB, 1110x872px) Image search: [Google]
tasting_the_gnome.png
55KB, 1110x872px
>>
>>61141540
the fuck did you post to hacker news?
>>
>>61141540
show the title
>>
>>61141277
Updating on this, I solved it via the Arch forum. Also installed linux-headers even though I don't think I have any real reason to, but the lack of them was mentioned while reinstalling the kernel so I just did it.
>>
>>61141566
>>61141558
not mine, just some old stuff when gnome 3 was literal shit (now is kinda better but eh, the developers still have the shitty attitude of Gnome: Apple without the good taste.)
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5690689
>>
File: 1385911397160.png (13KB, 255x216px) Image search: [Google]
1385911397160.png
13KB, 255x216px
>>61141540
>>61141611
fuck gnome so much.
They deserve every bit of shit the community gives them.

"Community" my ass.
>>
>>61141611
gnome devs are fucking assholes but I just love the DE
That project doesn't deserve such awful people working on it.
>>
>>61141611
>Apple without the good taste
didn't the creator of gnome was being paid by apple to not copy them?
>>
current state of grsecurity: https://perens.com/blog/2017/06/28/warning-grsecurity-potential-contributory-infringement-risk-for-customers/
>>
>>61141848
what even happened here? afaik grsecurity was gratis and open source? why did they change that?
>>
>>61141848
I don't get why would anyone install something like this tho
>>
>>61141848
I don't think that kicking costumers out for sharing their stuff violates the license. it's shite, but doesn't restrict the user. violating would be something like explicitly denying them to share, but afaik they don't do this, dont they?
>>
>>61141673
>getting paid by apple
The more likely scenario would be that they sued GNOME for copying their precious UI
>>
>>61141871
Sheckels.
>>61141876
Many /g/ents used to use grsecurity.
>>
File: 1495051225306.jpg (6KB, 186x208px) Image search: [Google]
1495051225306.jpg
6KB, 186x208px
Hello, dear gentoomen. I'd like to ask what are the disadvantages of running a Linux distro in a VM as opposed to physically installing it? I installed Xubuntu and Fedora to mess around, performance seems acceptable. Is there something I'm missing out on?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170629_150354.png (37KB, 312x277px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170629_150354.png
37KB, 312x277px
>>61142406
3d acceleration and pic related.
>>
File: desktop-2017-06-29-203902.webm (2MB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
desktop-2017-06-29-203902.webm
2MB, 1280x1024px
So I'm using a plain textfile that has user pass values stored on an encrypted file system (eCryptfs).

I'm using a very 1337 script to access it while listening to Marilyn Manson.

Are there any benefits in switching to KeePassX besides portability? I would never want to unencrypt my passwords on an Android device.
>>
I want to install Linux on my 120GB SSD for dual-booting with Windows (muh gaems), but it has only one partition and I don't want to lose all my settings ore use a VM.

Am I fucked?
>>
>>61141871
>afaik grsecurity was gratis and open source?
chinks and kikes happened.
Grsecurity patches (stable) were available to the community free of charge, but aforementioned greedy ethnic minorities stepped forth, started introducing said patches into devices they were selling (some embedded stuff) and slapping "grecurity approved!!!" on the boxes.

So grsecurity devs went bonkers and since then stable patches are only available to paying customers and community was left with testing branch. They're extremely defensive about it, always shitting on other people because "le work for free" and such. It was on part their fault because they didn't trademark the grsecurity brand

It's sad because for your average user who just want a hardened installation grsecurity is superior to apparmor and selinux simply because it's a lot easier to master and use.
>>
>>61142501
so you reinvented https://www.passwordstore.org
>>
>>61142513
just resize the windows partition
>>
>>61142539
Don't I first have to format it then?
>>
>>61142567
No not really, use the built in windows tool.
>>
>>61142520
Cool, I might switch to that. Yeah, usually I like writing my own things before googling if it already exists, though it's not that smart of an idea when it comes to security related things.
>>
>>61142583
Wow, cool, thank you!
>>
>>61142520
btw
>© Copyright 2012-2014 Jason A. Donenfeld. All Rights Reserved.
My ecryptfs password thing is way older
>>
Get raspi, use as intermediary configuration storage to rsync from both computers
>>
>>61142627
a lot of people criticize pass because it leaks the website names, your tool doesn't have that problem I assume.
>>
>>61141202

See >>61142674
>>
Hi guys, I have a problem with my new Thinkpad X220.

My media keys don't work as they should. When I press the volume up/down keys, they don't do anything. I have tried xev and it doesn't show XF86-style keypresses. What do?

Sample output:
FocusIn event, serial 18, synthetic NO, window 0xcc,
mode NotifyGrab, detail NotifyInferior

KeymapNotify event, serial 18, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
keys: 4294967237 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 8
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

CreateNotify event, serial 18, synthetic NO, window 0xcc,
parent 0xcc, window 0x600313, (-100,-100), width 1, height 1
border_width 0, override YES

ClientMessage event, serial 18, synthetic YES, window 0x600313,
message_type 0x152 (_NET_STARTUP_INFO_BEGIN), format 8

message_type 0x153 (_NET_STARTUP_INFO), format 8

DestroyNotify event, serial 18, synthetic NO, window 0xcc,
event 0xcc, window 0x600313

FocusOut event, serial 20, synthetic NO, window 0xcc,
mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyInferior
>>
File: 1491963060419.png (72KB, 612x491px) Image search: [Google]
1491963060419.png
72KB, 612x491px
thinking about going full window manager meme on my desktop and laptop - having a consistent setup is pretty important for me desu.

i3 or awesome? Which one works best for multi monitor setups?
>>
>>61142743
>multi monitor setups?
As far as I remember i3 was kind of made with multi monitor setup in mind.
But I won't shill either because I used only i3.
>>
>>61142743
never used i3 but awesome works pretty good with my dual monitor setup
>>
>>61142758
>>61142777
Well okay, apperently just got to try then.
>>
I have been using ubuntu with unity launcher for a month and I really like lunix so far but I am wondering since unity is going to get discontinued should I switch to gnome
>>
>>61142953
One thing to consider, i3 is definitely the easier one to set up. Config files is plaintext, while awesome (as an extended fork of dwm) requires some C knowledge and some Lua knowledge
>>
>>61141659

>being a little bitch who can do nothing but complain and incite "flamewars"
Serves you right.

Bug trackers are for reporting bugs and carrying on with your life. Not for your little social justice warrior and "I have no idea about programming or the topic I'm discussing, but I picked up these edgy opinions and I'm going to spout them".
Kill yourselves.
>>
>>61143121
Just get Xfce. Thank me later.
>>
>>61143121
Do shitty business practices of redhat and the absolutely anti-user approach to the user of gnome developers bother you?
If you don't care, gnome should work. 3.22 is a stable and mature release and not likely to change/break something.
>>
>>61142743

If you've been using X so far, you've been using window managers.
>>
>>61143133
hey gnome dev.
>>
>>61133611
I just got a mechanical keyboard and it has a fucking windows logo on one of the keys REEEEEE. where should I buy a key with a GNU logo? I don't want tux only GNU.
>>
>>61143126

C source files are also plaintext.
>>
>>61143126
to configure dwm you don't really need to know c, same with awesome and lua.
>>
>>61143169
right, should've said plain english with shell like syntax
>>
plugged in a monitor via a DVI to HDMI adapter to my pc, the resolution isn't going to what it usually does (1440x900), the current res is 1360x768 what can i do to fix this?

monitor in question is
Dell SE198WFP
>>
How come certain distros run better in VM than others? For example, Manjaro runs flawlessly with no downgraded performance, while others with Xfce run like shit?
>>
File: cryp.png (6KB, 940x570px) Image search: [Google]
cryp.png
6KB, 940x570px
How do I get this kind of a prompt for decrypting the hard drive on Debian?
This is how it looks like on Fedora and Sabayon, and I have an ugly ass text prompt saying "enter passphrase for sda2:"
>>
>>61143908
That's part of plymouth.
It's fucking bloat.
>>
You know; now that I think of it, I never heard RMS call it GNU plus Linux
>>
>>61143158
Are you retarded?
>>
Ganoo plus Lenucks
>>
File: 1487248507271.jpg (65KB, 700x415px) Image search: [Google]
1487248507271.jpg
65KB, 700x415px
>>61144814
GNU/Linux was a mistake. RMS should have insisted into calling it just GNU (like Google did with Android, or any other system). Calling it GNU/Linux just confuses people:
>wat, why do you want credit for the Linux OS?
>>
im trying to install either arch or debian on my lenovo g505s

every time i finish the install it boots to a black screen, on arch it freezes on loading ramdisk

pls help. should i install in uefi?
>>
>>61144954
>wat, why do you want credit for the Linux OS?
Because he is a washed out has been who has not contributed anything to the industry since 1976,but still wants credit for other peoples work and contributions,and feels he is some sort of authority on the subject matter
>>
>>61144992
You fucked up the bootloader most likely
>>
File: 1471853430594.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1471853430594.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>61144954
It would not be false to the facts, but it is not the best thing to do. Here are the reasons we call that system version “GNU/Linux” rather than just “GNU”:

· It's not exactly GNU—it has a different kernel (that is, Linux). Distinguishing GNU/Linux from GNU is useful.

· It would be ungentlemanly to ask people to stop giving any credit to Linus Torvalds. He did write an important component of the system. We want to get credit for launching and sustaining the system's development, but this doesn't mean we should treat Linus the same way those who call the system “Linux” treat us. We strongly disagree with his political views, but we deal with that disagreement honorably and openly, rather than by trying to cut him out of the credit for his contribution to the system.

· Since many people know of the system as “Linux”, if we say “GNU” they may simply not recognize we're talking about the same system. If we say “GNU/Linux”, they can make a connection to what they have heard about.
>>
>>61144992
Yes, you just a ~500mb EPI partition and a bootloader to match; like systemdboot
>>
I have Ubuntu running in a virtual machine.

I like it.

It feels like the not-shitty version of Crapintosh.

Ubuntu has a better feel than it too.
>>
>>61144954
Yeah but what if they released GNU with Hurd?
That would be the only true GNU

>>61145006
>feels he is some sort of authority on the subject matter
well he did kinda invent the whole free software GPL thing the whole so called "linux community" is following
>>
>>61144992
>uefi
Fuck uefi
turn on legacy boot and use gpt
>>
File: 1491205937368.gif (2MB, 500x313px) Image search: [Google]
1491205937368.gif
2MB, 500x313px
>>61145050
now you must go balls deep
>>
>>61145050
If you think Ubuntu is fast, you should try somethieg that's not bloated
>>
>>61145050
Good boy.
Now try Debian
>>
File: 43436.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
43436.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
How do I stop linux from spamming disk read error messages in the log every 5 seconds when booting on a system with a bitlocker-encrypted ssd?
>>
>>61145060
>Yeah but what if they released GNU with Hurd?

btw:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-hurd/2017/06/msg00017.html
>It is with huge pleasure that the Debian GNU/Hurd team announces the
>release of Debian GNU/Hurd 2017. This is a snapshot of Debian "sid" at
>the time of the stable Debian "stretch" release (May 2017), so it is
>mostly based on the same sources. It is not an official Debian release,
>but it is an official Debian GNU/Hurd port release.
>>
>>61145025
ive tried with grub like 6 times. idk what i'm doing wrong

>>61145047
is this something i can do from the debian graphical install or is there another image i can use/just use arch

>>61145065
i've been doing mbr, is that my problem?

also i should be using amd64 right guys???
>>
>>61145123
Are you following the arch wiki?
It literally tells you exactly what to do
>>
>>61145116
Holy shit
I didn't think this day will ever come
>>
>>61145050
ubuntu is fine, if you wanna go ballsy and want to try DE's you can try the following
xubuntu
kubuntu
ubuntu mate

ton of de's of your choice.
>>
>>61145088
I tried Arch but couldn't get it loading.

It got stuck at the bootloader.
>>
>>61145134
yeah i've done it multiple times

it gets stuck at loading ramdisk on the initial reboot

on debian i dont even get the grub menu, but i can boot from a live image
>>
>>61145153
Try Antergos.
It's literally just Arch with a normal installer. Maybe it will work better.
>>
>>61145123
I'm guessing the Debian installer has a 'partetion disks' section - do it there
A small EFI partiton and a root
>>61145153
Was it grub?
>>
>>61145172
did you use mkinitcpio?
>>
>>61145193
yes

grub just doesnt like me desu. i tried with only one partition the second time as well thinking i must be fucking up mounting or something, same shit

is there another bootloader i could try/is uefi viable?
>>
>>61145137
Welp, it's still v0.9. When I look at the versioning history, Hurd may need 2 more years to be actually useable and another 200 years to get out of beta.
>>
>>61145223
Do it again,follow it 1:1, you'mre missing something
>>
>>61145223
systemd-boot
Better for EFI
>>
>>61145231
RIP
I mean, it will never reach the level of Linux anyways.
>>
>>61145231
>and another 200 years to get out of beta.
i guess when it's in a usable state, it will gain a bit more popularity and that should also boost the development
>>
>>61143329
p-pls
>>
>>61145246
sure

just to make sure i should be using amd64 right? it's a lenovo g505s

i know this is a dumb question
>>
>>61133611
This post is being posted from Debian in VM software.

It's a pretty meh experience.
>>
>>61145288
what did you expect ?
>>
File: 1494343519683.png (89KB, 353x332px) Image search: [Google]
1494343519683.png
89KB, 353x332px
What does it mean to go "balls deep"? Why should I replace everything if VM works just fine?
>>
File: never forget.png (112KB, 294x256px) Image search: [Google]
never forget.png
112KB, 294x256px
>>61145318
I expected speed.

My old craptop can barely handle the OS.
>>
>>61145334
when you fuck a girl you ram your dick inside her until your scrotum touches her labia.
Balls deep
>>
>>61145344
>speed
>in a VM
lol
>>
>>61145344
What DE did you install?
If LXDE is also slow, maybe go for openbox? You can also install BunsenLabs which gives you Debian+Openbox out of the box.
>>
Alright I'm a huge fucking retard. I've got a t420 on debian, running smoothly but I want to update the drivers so I can use openGL >= 3.3, and i'm at 3.1 right now.

How can I do that ? I ran apt-get update, and apt-get upgrade but it didn't do much.
>>
>>61145137
It doesn't support usb or audio or 64 bit systems.
>>
Can I get a little help?

I've recently moved to Ubuntu MATE(still noob) and I'm trying to get SimpleScreenRecorder to use NVENC. I know it's installed since I upgraded ffmpeg from 2.8 to 3.2 and it says it's supported.

Problem is I don't see it in the options for selecting a codec. Any idea on why this is? All of my searching doesn't really give useful answers.
>>
>>61145405
Which package do you want to upgrade?
>>
I got Arch working.
>>
File: 1488222074149.jpg (8KB, 255x204px) Image search: [Google]
1488222074149.jpg
8KB, 255x204px
>>61145503
Good job
>>
>>61145496
I suppose the graphic drivers for my intel HD 3000 gpu, altought I just want to be able to get a newer version of opengl, so if there's a better way I'd love to hear it too.
>>
>>61145503
have fun when it breaks.
>>
>>61145269
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xrandr#Adding_undetected_resolutions
>>
>>61145503
well, good for you

i have the "boot@archiso" prompt and dont know what to put in
>>
>>61145631
wat
>>
>>61145631
Echo "benis in bagina :DDDD :DD"
>>
>>61145679
yeah

i know i that i have to partition the hard drive

i dont know how

assface
>>
>>61145700
cfdisk
>>
>>61145700
read the wiki
reddit fucko
>>
>>61145700
fdisk -l

select the hard drive you want to partition
>>
>>61145700
read the wiki you dumbo
>>
File: 2017-06-30-001953_926x536_scrot.png (113KB, 926x536px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-30-001953_926x536_scrot.png
113KB, 926x536px
>>61145584
Mesa supports OpenGL 3.3 since version 10.
The current version of mesa included with debian 9 is 13.6.*. If your hardware supported it, it would use it.

Confirm such info before you ask next time, some people trying to help you waste a lot of free time that they could help someone else.
>>
>>61145334
>why
because using a vm is like watching a trailer of the outside world while sitting in jail.

you're still sleeping in the matrix while in reality your body is constantly getting raped by all sorts of company cock and sold to other individuals who also ram their dicks into ur butt

take control over your computer and go balls deep
>>
>>61145758
>implying linux is rape free zone
see >>61140092
>>
You guys are whack.

MikeOS is the best OS.
>>
>>61145783
I'm using GNU/Linux since 4 years and my anus feels much better now. On windows you get raped 24/7, while on GNU/Linux you can choose if you want it in the butt - or not.
>>
>>61145783
That's Ubotnet.
Use a distro that's not owned by a corporation then.

>>61145800
No, it's TempleOS you fucking piece of shit CIA nigger
>>
Installing Windows Vista on virtual machine.

How pointless is my life?
>>
>>61145958
install win2k instead
>>
>>61145958
that sort of thing should be illegal
>>
>>61145958
Learn programming and develop free software instead.
>>
>>61145958
i am running windows 10 in a virtual machine that is running debian in a virtual machine on the virtual windows 10
>>
>>61145995
I know C++.
>>
>>61146025
write your own fucking compiler then
>>
>>61146044
Why reinvent the wheel
>>
Is Manjora a good distro for a beginner?
>>
how can we know that gcc isn't the botnet?

something needs to compile the compiler

what compiled gcc and how do we know it didn't compile in the botnet into the first gcc?
>>
>>61145173
Not that guy but I tried Antergos on a totally fresh install the other day. Latest stable release afaik. Booted it for the first time and got some error message about a problem with the theme making me unable to sign in. I clicked "default theme" and it gave me a black screen with the same error message. Clicked "Fallback theme" and it gave me a white screen with the same message. Clicked "cancel" and got a white screen with a box I can type into, but the box doesn't seem to do anything.

What's the deal?
>>
>>61146076
https://youtu.be/B5YokNW7tIs?t=43
>>
>>61146095
First, there was the chicken. The chicken then put an egg.
>>
>>61146092
Never use DOWNSTREAM distro's
>>
>>61146092
Tbh anything is. Manjaro is easy to set up and use. Try it, and if you don't like it, try something else.
>>
>>61136473
You should try out Neon in a VM. It's pretty comfy.
>>
>>61146179
I used Neon. It's pretty nice. But idk for some reason I prefer GNOME even though it uses at least twice as much of RAM than Plasma.
>>
>>61138194
youtube-dl
There's instructions in the man page for setting up credentials which will let you grab hires vids, but you will have to store your password in plaintext.
>>
>>61145757
Fuck, I'm an absolute retard. It was under my nose the whole time. Thanks. I'll go cry in a corner then.
>>
I'm trying to install python 2.7 on an AWS (Amazon Web Services) server running Ubuntu 16.04.

I installed the latest version (2.7.13) from source since I couldn't apt-get install any form of python 2 for some reason.

Now I keep getting errors like this:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
python-setuptools : Depends: python-pkg-resources (= 20.7.0-1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: python:any (< 2.8)
Depends: python:any (>= 2.7.5-5~)
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

whenever I try to install a python-related package:

I can install most anything else OK. How do I fix this?
>>
grub literally doesnt work on my laptop

tried arch twice, stuck on loading ramdisk

tried debian like 3 times, grub doesnt even load

just tried antergos, black screen after loading grub

why god
>>
File: open9.jpg (67KB, 714x511px) Image search: [Google]
open9.jpg
67KB, 714x511px
I'm trying to install Archbang and I really don't get disk partitioning
I followed this guide https://www.unixmen.com/install-arch-bang/
I get to this part but the only thing that appears is
 /dev/sdb1 
which I'm sure is my flash drive which I'm booting form

Can someone give me a dumb idiot guide to disk partitioning?
>>
>>61147000
>grub dosent work
Post the exact commands you are using and in the order you are using them
>>
>>61146914
Well it pretty clearly say it depends on having a package called python between versions 2.7.5-5 and 2.8. If you donut use checkinstall or whatever then the package system doesn't know anything about you custom installed shit. You can either fix that or install everything via pip.
>>
>>61147001
>using downstream distro
Thats your first problem
Follow the arch wiki
>>
>>61147039
Arch is for advanced users only.
>>
>>61146914
Use aptitude.
>>
>>61146152
what is wrong with you
>>
>>61147082
Nothing,there is no value in using DOWNSTREAM distros.They are always lacking as the people who created it couldn't use the distro they copied from and 99% the devs are incompetent and cant actually in to a distro them selves so they just wait and blindly pass updates from their copied distro
>>
>>61147029
well for debian/antergos i used the gui

for arch i followed the guide exactly. if i boot into live i can see that one of my partitions is bootable and grub is installed to it
>>
>>61147095
Did you edit your fstab to put the proper mount points?
>>
>>61147091
nice memes, but any actual reasoning please?
"downstream" distros exist for a reason, for ex. arch aims for people who want to build their own system(d), manjaro exists for people who dont want to build their system, but still enjoy pacman. there is literally nothing wrong with making something usable for a different target group
>>
File: MANJARO3.png (49KB, 924x670px) Image search: [Google]
MANJARO3.png
49KB, 924x670px
>>61147128
Incompetent admin team
>>
>>61147102
yeah for arch i did

genfstab -U /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab

i assume the gui installers edited my fstab
>>
File: majaron2.png (45KB, 1248x584px) Image search: [Google]
majaron2.png
45KB, 1248x584px
>>61147128
Incompetent web team
>>
>>61147142
>>61147158

oh dear, it's the king of meme knowledge
>>
File: manjaro.png (97KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
manjaro.png
97KB, 1366x768px
>>61147128
Full incompetency
>>
>>61147147
And you never bothered to check it your self?
>>
>>61147158
the forum is not the distro, retard
>>
>>61147182
It is still the administrations fault
>>
>>61147167
>>61147158
>>61147142
Yeah, I mean, I could start collecting scrots of Arch, Debian or Gentoo failures too, but what's the point?
>>
>>61147201
Such as?
When did the arch team lax 3 times IN A ROW on the ssl cert?
Who is to say they arent this lax with their security other places?

Manjingo.
NOT EVEN ONCE
>>
>>61147210
Are you retarded, the SSL cert deliverer (who didn't) caused these problems, not Manjaro people.
>>
>>61147235
The Manjaro Administration Team failed to renew the certs,as you can team from their own writing in the images i uploaded.
>>61147167
>>61147142
>>
>>61147210
may I remind you at, uhm, breaking python backwards compatibility, breaking X, breaking fonts, and the fact that arch didn't sign packages for years
>>
>>61147256
>python
Why was python 3 created by the python developers then?
Arch is a ROLLING RELEASE distro, it has the latest updated packages,such as python 3
>breaking X
The user is responsible for their configs.Now if you mean when Xorg 1.8.1 came out in the TESTING REPO and broke due to other package not being updated ok,but that is what the TESTING repo is used for.
>breaking fonts
Again, this is a user fontconfig settings issue
>signing
OH NO. Who the fuck cares,you can md5 them with the ones hosted on the offiical packages server(xyne even made a program to do exactly this years ago)
>>
File: 1477009298337.png (83KB, 749x767px) Image search: [Google]
1477009298337.png
83KB, 749x767px
>>61147248
No they didn't.
>>
>>61147294
What an arrogant response, way to run a distro. Damn in glad I'm not using that shit.
>>
What benefit would I get by moving from Ubuntu to Arch?
>>
>>61147513
A package manager that doesn't suck ass.
Bragging rights.
>>
>>61147181
i guess not

i tried ubuntu in uefi and it worked. gonna try arch or something now
>>
So i've installed Parabola with OpenRC, but screenfetch shows me that it's Arch, wat do
>>
>>61147036
>>61147066
Fuck it, I just uninstalled the source-installed python and added the deadsnakes repository and I can apt-get install it all like normal.
>>
>>61147294
>The user is responsible for their configs
Gentoo doesn't have this problem.
Portage warns you when a config file is changed in an update and provides a tool to examine and resolve config changes. And after all, you shouldn't have to check 3-4 different mailing lists every time you want to do a routine system update just to ensure your system doesn't suddenly break afterward.
>>
>>61147802
edit /etc/os-release to say "I've been memed Linux".
>>
>>61145389
dont do this via bunsenlab. do netinstall, apt install xorg openbox

rice to taste
>>
>>61138194
Install Chrome and in settings, add a rule to always allow flash for Crunchyroll.
>>
What would be the best fs to use for an external drive I'll be keeping my music on? Instinctively, I'd go with ext4, but is that really the best option?
>>
>>61148010
pacman warns you aswell,and makes the new config extension '.pacnew' so you can diff the configs and find out what you need to do
>mailing list
I have never once looked at any mailing list, arch or otherwise.
>>
>>61149551
>I have never once looked at any mailing list, arch or otherwise.
lol, really showing your power level there!
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.