[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Once you learn emacs and lisp the form and function of modern

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: 1498262096553.jpg (135KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1498262096553.jpg
135KB, 800x600px
Once you learn emacs and lisp the form and function of modern computers seem merely an abstraction of it's true nature.

A computer's true nature is a Turing machine that acts based on named subroutines. You take smaller functions and compose them into larger more powerful functions, then store them in namespace. This is the method all computer languages use.

Why not simply use a language that uses this feature at it's core?

The reason is likely ego. You choose vainly what will make you profit or give you credit without seeing what is in front of you. If you look at the patterns you will notice Lisp is at the core of all of it.
>>
I enjoyed reading your post. >>61133536
>>
File: 1458872142395.png (440KB, 645x1260px) Image search: [Google]
1458872142395.png
440KB, 645x1260px
>>61133536
I learned Vim and Python, and I feel more retarded than ever.
>>
>>61133536
I got bills to pay
>>
>>61133536
OP, time to learn about equivalence classes
also, try to program with these in practice
>>
>>61133536
>If you look at the patterns you will notice Lisp is at the core of all of it.
I wonder why Common Lisp has loop syntax? Oh yeah, its because doing ALL looping with recursion is retarded and more error prone than for/while loops in C

go ahead, keep living in your basement thinking youre a wizard
>>
>>61134174
common lisp loops are frankly a huge fucking mess with its profoundly un-lisp syntax
>>
>>61134292
thats funny, Ive NEVER heard anyone who uses CL professionally complain about loop syntax, CL is the only dialect that gets used for actual programming and not academic mental masterbation
>>
File: 1497845986278.jpg (26KB, 320x289px) Image search: [Google]
1497845986278.jpg
26KB, 320x289px
>>61134174
Common Lisp has the loop function because it was designed to be a language that could do anything a programmer might want. In order to do anything a programmer might want it includes features like imperative programming so that a user might program with mutable state if they so desire. It is an optional feature in Common Lisp.

You've basically said "I like x feature, therefore common lisp is stupid for including x feature."
>>
>>61134174

>he thinks the only use of recursion is control flow
>>
>>61134321
this post made me laugh because it implied lisp is used at all in the professional world

but seriously, the loop syntax is pretty much a language in itself
>>
please stop pretending to be high
>>
look here kids!!! take a gander at the wonders of abstraction:
https://clojuredocs.org/clojure.core/loop
wow!! mind blown, I am using a language with this turing machine feature at it core!!!
>>
File: lisp.png (452KB, 500x640px) Image search: [Google]
lisp.png
452KB, 500x640px
>>61133536

this is a good post

>>61134166

talk more pls

>>61134323
>>61134110
>>61134174
>>61134336

last three of my contracts were lisp gigs, my current one was almost a lisp hardware job for a fiber optic manufacturing company but I didn't want to move to california, at my current gig I use lisp to generate a superset of C for embedded systems

not all jobs can be found through monster.com or indeed you plebs, learn2network
>>
>>61133536
No OP, what you are experiencing is the abstraction.
The hardware you use is imperative, and functional primitives exist only in theory. Lambdas and closures do not exist, only function pointers and structures.
>>
>>61134423
Well someone has to do the pleb jobs
>>
>>61133536
Cause I hate dynamic typing. Haskell is my homie.
>>
File: R._Dorothy_Wayneright.jpg (23KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
R._Dorothy_Wayneright.jpg
23KB, 250x250px
>>61135037
You can program on a low level in lisp if you want. you are not required to use the functional programming features. If you really want to you can program with bit shift registers in all their glory.

>>61135348
Sure when you are within the environment of haskell you have a rigid type system but as soon as you exit haskell the world does not conform to your predefined types.
>>
>>61135723
Define "The World"

You're always constrained by types, there's no way a computer can represent REAL real numbers.

Types help you reason about your code and a compiler catches errors before runtime, that in and of itself makes any compiled language better than a dynamic piece of shit. And no, unit tests don't close this proverbial "chasm"
>>
>>61134321
That's because no one uses it professionally; anyone who isn't retarded knows to check the common libraries that they'd need to use on a day-to-day basis and see how well they are maintained. Lisp you are picking through the corpses of half implemented libraries that are long abandoned.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.