[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is the biggest news for the open source community, a truly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: cropped-LI_profile.png (28KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
cropped-LI_profile.png
28KB, 512x512px
This is the biggest news for the open source community, a truly free ISA. No longer will we have to be chained to the proprietary ARM or x86_64 ones
Imagine a future where privacy centered individuals can get their own CPU tailor made to fit their purposes with all the features they need
>>
This hasn't been news for years. We've been working on this for awhile now anon. Also custom instruction-set processors aren't new. You can literally go to any CAD vendor and they'll have their own complete tool-kit that generates a compiler, RTL, synthesis constraints etc. in accordance to any ISA you design. I've tried a few. The only reason the industry is spending time and money (and not much at that mind you, if you actually dig into the status of the various components of RISC-V its only now starting to get any real development momentum, srsly wtf is Chisel) is that it allows them to develop SoCs and other chips without paying licensing fees.

Anyways.
>>
>>61132103
I forgot to point out you obviously have to spec the micro-architecture, not just the ISA, to get the hardware implementation generated by those tools
>>
File: 1462962288258.jpg (184KB, 1486x840px) Image search: [Google]
1462962288258.jpg
184KB, 1486x840px
>>61132000
>128-bit Instruction Set
I can finally use more than 16 exibytes of RAM
>>
>>61132132
Must give the academicians with huge calculations to make a hardon
>>
>>61132000
But can it run Crysis
>>
>>61132000
Free in what sense? Dollars to doughnuts its a BSD-type license due to how many companies are supporting it and going to use it for proprietary work
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.