[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.pcgamer.com/delidding-yo ur-cpu-is-scary-but-wort

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

http://www.pcgamer.com/delidding-your-cpu-is-scary-but-worth-itand-surprisingly-easy

Does it seem weird to anybody that delidding has actually become a trend? Risking a $200-300 CPU for slightly better temps seems like a weird trend. It kind of reminds me of old school overclocking, except the point of overclocking was to make cheap shit run as fast as more expensive processors. If you blew up a Celeron 300A, who cares? But now it's about making mid-range parts run better, and a 7600K or 7700K isn't exactly something you just throw away. And Skylake-X delidding is even more ridiculous, risking the death of a $300-1000 part just to overclock it without burning your house down seems absurd. Yet people are rolling with it.
>>
>>61098721
I know right? It's like when humans started doing brain surgery and shit. WTF I hate medicine now!
>>
>>61098721
PC Gamer is full retard. They actually posted this shit, too http://www.pcgamer.com/meet-the-overclocker-who-made-delidding-your-cpu-idiot-proof/

They might be stealthily one of the biggest Intel shills out there.
>>
>>61098782
This analogy is so stupid it's caused my brain to collapse in on itself.
>>
A fool and his money are soon parted
>>
>>61098783
They should have just made an offhand reference to Ryzen being soldered at least. It seems odd that they would pretend something like delidding a CPU is a normal thing that consumers just have to deal with.
>>
>>61098782
Trying to operate on a brain tumor is different from voiding the warranty on your intentionally-defective product just to keep it at reasonable operating temperatures.
>>
>>61098854
The only comment calling them out on this shit has a grand total of 2 le upboats. Sad!
>>61098876
I'm pretty sure someone delidded him and filled his head with Thermal Grizzly.
>>
>"Back in say the Core 2 generation, socket 775, the heat spreader was attached with solder to the die," Hartung says. "The solder is not like tin solder. It's indium. Indium is a rare metal, it's quite expensive as well, and it's very hard to use. So the thing is, if you want to solder this, it's not like you can just put indium on there and attach the heat spreader. You have to treat the die first, and the treatment is like tin, gold, vanadium... metals you actually should save, so economically speaking it's a lot better not to solder.

lambo
>>
>>61099126
oi vey don't want to waste those precious metals, goy.
>>
>>61099126
Basically,
>the materials used to solder the dies to the IHS are expensive and we want more money in our pockets, seeing we can sell the CPUs for the same price whether we solder them or not
>>
Why would you even bother when Ryzen exists and doesn't have that problem to begin with?
>>
>>61099641
But Ryzen doesn't exist. What are you talking about?
>>
>>61098721
>slightly
For shit like 7700k and hotter it's the difference between overclockable and not ooverclockable - no matter what cooling you use it simply won't transfer heat fast enough.
>>
>>61099685
Why are people supporting a faulty product like that?
>>
>>61099776
muh games
>>
>>61099776
Shills (both paid & unpaid) and mindshare.

Intel has been top dog for the last 7~ish years, their word is Gods (until now, that Ryzen market share increase in Q2, yay!).
>>
>>61099776
AMD hasn't released a good desktop CPU since the Phenom X6. You have to realize there are a lot of people who have written off AMD entirely. Intel has the vast majority of mindshare in the CPU market.
>>
Going to borrow this thread.

I have a Q6600 with stock settings (Aside from SpeedStep disabled) being cooled by an Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 Pro (Revision 2)

Temperatures don't seem stable.

With Prime95 blasting, I have my cores reporting at 98/97/86/79 degrees Fahrenheit.

I've reseated my heatsink (and cleaned/re-applied thermal compound) a few times without better results.

WAT DO
>>
>>61101749
97 F is like 35 C. I think the problem is just that you're retarded
>>
>>61098721
>expecting reason from children who spend hundreds of bucks on a computer only to use it to push buttons while mindlessly starring at the screen for hours
>>
>>61098721
so after theit infamous price per fps chart pgamer comes to shill that its fun and shit to delid your cpu?
is intel finally gone too far to pay pcgamer to create such a stupid article?
>>
>>61099960
the 83 and 85 lines were decent but they carried the fx name so it was a no no..
also the fact that we are 3 months into the launch and we have seen so many people cheering for amd plus the whole server launch fiasco for intel pretty much shows that the mindshare wasnt as big as people though so..they simply couldnt go tripfag level of stupidity against ryzen it was better in every way possible
>>
>>61098876
It's a gimmick. They know all the cool kids want to delid their latest $10k cpu
>>
File: IMG_5843.gif (737KB, 245x184px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5843.gif
737KB, 245x184px
>>61098721
Pic related Intel fanboys.
>>
>>61098876
>Trying to operate on a brain tumor is different from voiding the warranty

I don't know man, one fuck up during brain surgery is like the ultimate warranty voiding of life.
>>
>became a trend
Delidding has been a thing in overclocking communities for well over a decade, what the fuck are you on about?
>>
>>61098721
>posting links to officially intel sponsored resources
>>
>>61098783
>stealthily
pc gaming show was sponsored by intel, and right after e3 they pushed hard for intel news
>>
>>61102713
you won't be able to RMA yourself
>>
>>61102748
And there's no replacement parts.
>>
>>61098721

>Does it seem weird to anybody that delidding has actually become a trend?

Only for now because people still buy Intel.
>>
>>61098721
How is that a risk? Unless you have Parkinson's delidding is piss-easy. Sure, you lose your warranty in the process but who gives a fuck about it anyway.
>>
>>61099415
>I want manufacturers to use rare materials and I don't give a fuck about environmental consequences!
Brainless consumerism like this is going to fucking kill us quicker than we might expect.
>>
>>61103007
Fuck off hippie, I'm buying hardware, not veggie burgers
>>
>>61103016
Good thing you're getting unsoldered in the end, faggot, so your opinion doesn't really matter.
>>
File: sage.jpg (124KB, 602x401px) Image search: [Google]
sage.jpg
124KB, 602x401px
>>61103050
I like my hardware as environmentally damaging as possible.
That's why my next purchase is Skylake-X
>>
>>61101749
>98 Farenheit
>FARENHEIT
>American education
>>
>>61099960

>good
>Phenom X6
>>
>>61102986
Delidding Shitlake-X is much more risky because of the chips around the die.

People still manage to fuck up the "easy" delid on Kabylake CPUs all the damn time. Even a small scratch or bump, and the CPU is done.
>>
>>61103075
Intel loves global warming so much, they decided to make the core i9.
>>
>>61103888
Wasn't the 1090T neck and neck with the Nehelem i7's?
>>
File: this is fine.png (310KB, 580x282px) Image search: [Google]
this is fine.png
310KB, 580x282px
>>61099126
> "Save those precious metals!"
> cause housefires instead
>>
>>61102713
Yeah, your alternative isn't a less functioning brain though, it's probably painful death.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.