[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /g/, there's something that's been bothering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

Alright /g/, there's something that's been bothering me for years. And I really mean it.

The ribbon UI. This thing right at the top of the file explorer. People hate it, despise it and they act as though its introduction in Windows 8.1 was completely wrong.

And I disagree. This thing right here is much more useful than what the Windows 7 explorer had. Most things you would need are in plain sight instead of having to open settings windows all over the place for one little adjustment.

I cannot find one reason, other than theming support, for this to be so hated. I'd like to hear your reasons as to why this thing is actually bad.
>>
>>61087824
Oh god just looking at this gives me eye cancer

Windows Explorer is one of the worst things in Windows at the moment. Give me two control panels, give me anything, just don't make me go look for files in that shit.
>>
>>61087824
>I cannot find one reason, other than theming support, for this to be so hated
It takes up space - much, much more space than necessary - for settings and functions that are available via keyboard shortcuts, right-click menu, and the old top menu.

Even for total retards that don't know how to copy and paste, which would benefit from an explorable interface, it still takes up too much fucking space.

Disregarding the functional problem with that; it also looks like crap from an aesthetic point of view, making the whole window too top heavy.
>>
File: perfect.png (120KB, 1461x418px) Image search: [Google]
perfect.png
120KB, 1461x418px
>>61087824
It's ugly as fuck, but more importantly, takes up way too much space.
Also, like the other anons said. All that shit is one right click away.
>>
>>61088053
Forgot to mention, that I don't even like the "ribbon UI" in 7. That Organize, Open, Burn, toolbar is completely useless, and I wish there was a way to disable from within windows. In however many years I've been using 7 now, I have never once clicked on that toolbar on purpose.
>>
>>61088053
>>61087953
>>61087861
Wait, do you have it pinned or what? Click on the fucking top right arrow.
>>
>>61087861
at least it's not as bad as Finder.

and as much as I'm enjoying os x, Finder is a straight-up pain in the ass to use.
>>
>>61087953
>>61088053
>Takes up space

You can hide it...
>>
>>61089015
There's one thing Finder does right - column view. Then there's the thing Finder does wrong - everything fucking else.
>>
>>61087824
> This thing right here is much more useful than what the Windows 7 explorer had
I agree, but most of us do not need it in Explorer, there's a ton of shortcuts for that. It's very useful in MS Office, though.
>>
>>61087824
It missed the point of a user interface.
A good user interface is easy to use the first time and the more time you use it, the easier it becomes to use.
The old style had drop down menus for all things and quick access buttons for some things.
The drop down menu worked as a good way to show what is possible with the program.
Selecting the text and clicking file, then copy is a very slow way to use the UI.
So two things were added.
the first was showing the hotkey (ctrl+c) next to the text "copy".
The other was to underline a single letter to show the accelerator keys.
On windows the applications were pretty bad, so you couldn't just change the hotkeys as you could on kde applications, but everything could be accessed with the accelerator.
By underlining the keys, you know the key is part of the word you are using, so learning the sequence is really easy.
After using the feature a few times, you start to only use the accelerator keys.

With the ribbon interface, this information is further hidden away.
Microsoft made the old accelerator keys work along new keys, so now there is a lot of ways to use the same function.
But the focus of the interface was not to make it good for the keyboard users, it was to make it good for the cursor people.
And to further piss off the keyboard users, it took up more space than the old system, leaving less space for the actual content.
>>
>>61088053
I can't show hidden files with one right click, or open a terminal. Some of those options are not available even in context menus. Gotta do some registry fuckery. Those are annoying but I guess for new users it would be more accessible to have something more simplistic.

>>61089015
Its flaws are essentially obscure shortcuts, not adjusting icons automatically (so if you don't permanently show scrollbars, some of your items might be hiding away because you resize the window and it doesn't do dick) and its file moving / copying / merging behavior.

On the other hand like they said, column view, previews, creating folders with selected files and being able to drag pretty much anything in any way you can think of and make it work logically are things that make it not so awful to use.
>>
>>61087824
>I cannot find one reason, other than theming support, for this to be so hated. I'd like to hear your reasons as to why this thing is actually bad.
I don't necessarily think it's bad nor do I hate it, it's just fucking useless to me personally.

All I need as a PC User from an explorer is basically a back, next and up button, a direction and search bars, some shortcuts at my left and the ability to manipulate folders.
That's fucking it.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.