[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

you guys argue so much about operating systems that it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: sgos.png (300KB, 800x1038px) Image search: [Google]
sgos.png
300KB, 800x1038px
you guys argue so much about operating systems that it's starting to get annoying. it shouldn't matter what the actual system is that you prefer, rather what you do to utilize it. if it can support a plethora of libraries that you need to build things quickly, then it's good for your case. if you want something prebuilt that's able to support file formats you need, then it's good for that case as well. for a computer that has a quick to route filesystem, then it's yours.

what i want to know is, how does the notion of 'this is autistic' or 'this is nonfree' make any sense as arguments? why not actually tackle the fundamental performance differences between applications from respective systems? that or at least target the system itself, not its users. i don't hide behind one label or brand, but i don't think a passive outlook is healthy. we should be able to bring some form of diplomacy between what you like/need, and what you philosophize about like a mantra for what an OS should be like.

To that end, i think my notions fit a system that could fufill my need for privacy because i will be working on a lot of code that's secret. basically, i don't want someone to take it from me and then close source/patent it as theirs. i think subgraph OS is my choice. that or hardened gentoo but building an OS from scratch isn't something i'm too accustomed with. i've only tried arch, mint, plan9 and crunchbang.

to make this less of a blog, discuss aspects you would like in an OS.
>>
For me, I want an operating system which doesn't require too much additional effort to set it up, comes with a prebuilt non-abomination design language and has a very stable repo. I think debian testing hits this spot very well.

As for OP, any computer with internet connection disabled will fit your needs, if you are going to work with confidential code.
>>
>>61084125
>subgraph OS
>grsec
I guess you could say that the OS went under.
>>
>>61084540
you mean like how your gf went under my sheets?
>>
>>61084619
Jokes on you, that makes you gay.
>>
Being able to do almost anything in an effortless way. Games, video editing, writing documents, miscellaneous things like alarm clocks etc., etc.

Windows has that -- even if it has a cost, however installing things related to programming is a hassle, a C compiler as an example, which is something I dearly dislike. I dual-boot however, so thats sorta solved.
>>
>>61084662
>however installing things related to programming is a hassle, a C compiler as an example
this, i'm considering getting a laptop JUST so i can develop on it because fuck windows
>>
>>61084734

I literally just bought a $350 laptop and installed Ubuntu on it.
Eliminates switching between OS's which takes a couple minutes which is such a hassle. I would recommend doing this if you have the money mate.
>>
File: Capture.png (35KB, 770x549px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
35KB, 770x549px
>>61084662
>>61084734
>>61084787
>dual booting
>getting a separate machine just for development
You do realize that you can just set up a Hyper V virtual machine and have it save on shutdown and restore on boot right? You get the easy setup of Windows and a persistent Linux box that runs in the background for nearly no resources for free.
>>
>>61084809
i have windows 7 home premium, there's no Hyper-V and even if i did have it it wouldn't support the BSDs
>>
>>61084809
Well that fucking blows, thanks for the advice.
>>
>>61084125
TOR is an FBI honeypot, give up
>>
The most important thing is that it runs, and that I can disable services or daemons if my machine doesn't meet the specs they need to run comfortably in the background. It's helpful when the OS tells you what the services do and whether they are critical for operation.

The next most important thing is a wi-fi manager that works comfortably during travel. Or at least there should be an easy way to change parameters in a config file.

A neat file hierarchy that makes sense is important. I would prefer that hierarchies don't reuse ambiguous three-letter names that make no sense without knowing the history of the OS's development, and I would prefer a hierarchy that doesn't use spaces or caps or non-alphanumeric-or-dot characters.

A sleek corporate look is a morale booster, but not a requirement. The UI should be consistent and documentation should be concise and easy to read (not fvwm). A window manager shouldn't conflict with application keys (not ratpoison w/ emacs). If there's an official webpage with user-made content for the UI, I don't want to see it if it's full of very horrible content. (not KDE)
>>
>>61084873
I meant that ratposion conflicted with <c>-t by default, which is common in tabbed browsers. It may have conflicted with emacs as well.

(Sage)
>>
>>61084829
>BSDs
OpenBSD runs like a chimp on it.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.