[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you contribute to open source projects? How do you find good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_0878.gif (427KB, 978x478px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0878.gif
427KB, 978x478px
Do you contribute to open source projects?

How do you find good ones to work on? Why do you do it?

I'd like to beef up my GitHub for interviews (and would like to work on something collaborative), just wondering how to start
>>
>>61080096
I don't get partyposting
>>
>>61080159
Sorry for partyposting
>>
>>61080096
I mainly do it through work.
When I use an open source project in my project, I may need to add a feature or correct a flaw or something.
Spending time to fix it in the project is usually slow and it takes more time to research than something I make on my own, but I know it makes sense to fix it this way as it helps other people who are also using it.

I should be helping more projects but I don't have the time.
>>
>I'd like to beef up my GitHub for interviews
If that's your only motivation then you can fuck right off. I fucking hate PR spammers that just want to add another project to their portfolio.
Just chose something you really care about and use every day. Even if it takes you weeks to understand the code.
>>
>>61080361
>Programming for personal gain is bad

U neet?
>>
>>61080096
Look through the apps you have installed, see which ones are open source, see their git repos, see the issues, fix those issues.
>>
I am fixing bugs that I encounter and can solve, there is not a single particular project.

By the way, I would suggest getting gud instead of beefing up your GitHub profile, that stuff is for seniors. If you write something highly unimpressive in your CV you will just make the people screening you lose time.
>>
easiest way is to add tests to a projects. for example, if you know java and you often use/heard of apache commons libraries, run their tests with coverage mode enabled to see which lines are not covered in the tests, then add tests to cover those lines

second easiest option is to look through github issues/project jira and see if there are any simple bugs/features you can add. (ie Clover)
>>
>>61080096
I don't contribute to other peoples' projects but I do open source my own when I feel like it.
>>
File: netrunner s.png (91KB, 1356x300px) Image search: [Google]
netrunner s.png
91KB, 1356x300px
>>61080096
https://github.com/5yph3r/Netrunner

Just look at how many stars and is only a readme for now
>>
File: 1497730837528.png (8KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1497730837528.png
8KB, 512x512px
I'm not a good enough programmer to make any contributions of substance to anything I use.
>>
>>61080096
"I only LARP as a programmer!"
t. OP
>>
PARTY ROCKERS
>>
File: 1497931253688.png (416KB, 638x425px) Image search: [Google]
1497931253688.png
416KB, 638x425px
Fix comment typos in the house tonight
>>
>>61080096

Contributing to open source just to contribute to open source is pretty cucked imho.

If you need a feature, build the feature, then contribute.
>>
>>61080096
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html
>>
>>61080309
Underrated
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.