[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

To all my ni/g/gas who started at help desk, what was the next

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

To all my ni/g/gas who started at help desk, what was the next position that you held in your career path?
>>
>>61079414
Did 3 years of CS, studied and got a RHCSA, wrote some scripts for other CS to use, ended up becoming a Site Reliability Engineer at that company
>>
After 3 years of endless crappy paying help desk jobs at 2 different companies I opened my own SMB MSP business, a few clients followed (no I did not steal them, been to court for it already).

Life has been good ever since. The first 8 months sucked, but once I found the right talent business went on autopilot pretty much.
>>
>>61079504
>>61079437
famalams, im roughly about a year into this gig and have been looking at different opportunities but i fear that i have no shot with just a A+ and net+ cert. Do you think i can score a junior sys admin role with what i have now?
>>
>>61079610
No. A+ is useless for sysadmin, net+ is kinda whatever. get a RHCSA or CCNA, or start learning lots about languages like python, perl, and bash (at least 2). also get a VPS or VM and start installing shit like nagios, puppet, ELK stack, etc
>>
>>61079695
I see, yeah i was considering on completing the trifeca and getting the Security+ but CCNA or RHCSA like you mentioned would probably be more beneficial. Thanks
>>
After working 2.5 years helpdesk , mostly for a large brewery and other clients , I landed a job at Network Equipment Manufacturer as tech-support again , networks in college were my preferred subject.
However instead of being a callcenter , it was more of a try to take calls to pull your own weight , nothing is scripted and you have to do actual research , and the company would give employees a firewall to take home to mess around with.
Been doing this for almost 5 years now , it's tough work once you go up levels and have to deal with very large companies and general human stupidity on all angles , but it's generally mentally rewarding work if you filter out the rage-inducing customer interaction aspect.
>>
How much do/did you guys make in help desk? I just started at $27 (Canadian) an hour with good benefits which I think is pretty decent
>>
>>61080063
answer me you cunts
>>
File: StepStone_shutterstock_F.jpg (49KB, 1920x600px) Image search: [Google]
StepStone_shutterstock_F.jpg
49KB, 1920x600px
Helpdesk is a classic career starter.

If you are working help desk, you need to make sure that you are doing tech support (not sales) for admins (not end users) of enterprise applications (not consumer applications).

If you are doing just consumer, end user, sales, or something non technical try to switch.

Good applications are for example sap, salesforce, microsoft

Next career step is to apply at one of the consultancy companies that implement that product

Although, sales is viable career path as well if that is your thing. You can become something like key account manager in the long term.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.