[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I want to switch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: download.jpg (7KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7KB, 275x183px
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I want to switch careers into web development (I do something completely unrelated now), but I'm 35 years old (I can pass for 25 years old if that matters and I am female if that matters) and don't have much of a portfolio except for some school projects I did for an associate web design degree I finished recently.

I live in Austin so I'm in a tech city that's very competitive.I applied for jobs for about a month after finishing my degree and didn't hear anything and got discouraged and just settled for continuing to work my same old job which I dislike intensely. Now I'm ready to give it another go and hopefully stick it out for longer than a month.

Right now I want to redo my portfolio, continue learning MEAN / MERN stack and get some projects onto my github.

Am I just fooling myself? Should I look into a less competitive field? Am I too old to bother at this point and should just pursue this as a hobby?
>>
>>61068681
Post programming socks and we'll help you.
>>
>>61068681
BS in computer science is the entry level degree for all programmers
>>
File: 1497229378432.png (226KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1497229378432.png
226KB, 512x384px
>>61068681
>but I'm 35 years old (I can pass for 25 years old
ehhhhhhhhh
> I am female
Either (male) or lies. Women age like milk too desu. Even late 20s look like 30+
>>
>>61068733
What about design? I do not mind starting there and might even prefer to start there while I get coding up to snuff.

I'm working on a BS degree, but chances are I may not finish it until I'm 40 due to time and financial constraints.

>>61068780
I spent my formative years indoors so virtually no sun damage and I am a /fit/izen. I feel like the aging is going to come all at once though...kind of bracing myself for it.
>>
>>61068681
>I'm 35 years old (I can pass for 25 years old if that matters and I am female
yeah nah

perhaps are you a 2D girl?
>>
>>61068858
Yeah, I'm regretting mentioning that since it seems like everyone's going to fixate on that. Just some guy once advised me IRL to not bring up my age because of ageism in the industry and advised me to be as vague as I can be on dates on my resume for stuff that doesn't matter.

I am not claiming to be good looking.
>>
>>61068841
Do you need me to repeat the last post that I wrote?
>>
>>61068681
Hey anonette, I don't know how it is in Austin, but I'm in >London and i got a web dev job after teaching myself to code for 5 months. I had several interviews and without even being too skilled, I got the job just by seeming very enthusiastic.

I'd suggest you join Angel.co, it's where startups search for devs and all my inerviews have been from there, and it's always been them that have found me and called me in rather than me applying so the website is gold.

You don't need a degree for web dev. Don't waste money.

Also, as a fellow /fit/izen let me say that this job might drive you insane if you're not used to a job where you sit on your ass all day. If you're an introvert, do not work in a startup. Make sure to check out that they have good toilets too, not even joking. My old job had one pathetic toilet right in front of a table of guys where everything could be heard, and no bins so you can imagine what blood week was like.
>>
>>61069338
Thanks anon! What frameworks did you focus on learning?

I will look into angel.co. I am an introvert, but I am ok out of my comfort zone. I don't mind sitting on my ass all day so long as I'm thinking - my current job has me sitting a lot but no thinking and it is awful.

I am probably going to still pursue a cheap degree though...it's a matter of pride at this point. I hate telling people I don't have a college degree.
>>
>>61069521
>What frameworks did you focus on learning?
I just learned HTML & CSS very well, basic vanilla JS and jQuery, and basic React. My React knowledge is very poor and I think i'll abandon it for Angular or something, but having experience in it made employers excited lel

>my current job has me sitting a lot but no thinking and it is awful.
sound like my old web dev job. was a shithole that was.

>I hate telling people I don't have a college degree.
Is this just american culture? Anonetter don't go in debt just because someone might ask you whether you have a degree. Who the fuck cares what they think? I've found that people are actually more impressed that i don't have a degree and managed to find a job in tech.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.