[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay, I miss MS-DOS. There I said it. While I consider Linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 3

File: borlandc++.png (20KB, 812x544px) Image search: [Google]
borlandc++.png
20KB, 812x544px
Okay, I miss MS-DOS. There I said it. While I consider Linux better than Windows, I hate it and anything Unix(like). Fuck it, I'm going to learn how to program and I'll write my own os. I simply can't deal with this shit any longer. You can post some things that can help me getting started or do another senseless flameware on who's shit is more stinky.
>>
>>61068073
>I hate it and anything Unix(like).

Why?
>>
I've been playing with arm64 assembly and reading on OSDEV lately and I also was thinking of making an OS with a custom API (unlike POSIX) it shouldn't be too hard to implement.
>>
Like TempleOS? Is that you Terry?
>>
>>61068088
I can't say most problems without raging my ass off. To summ it up, it's chaos, a frankensteins monster, a pain in the ass.

I won't discuss this, if people could understand we already had a OS I could like and we don't have that.
>>
>>61068137
Not like TempleOS but Terry does have good points despite his ramblings and I probably watch his Videos for reference on some things.
>>
>>61068112
>OSDEV
Thanks, that's a valuable ressource to start with.
>>
>>61068153
Its one of those things where they have piled one feature on top of another.
You can sense that there's no direction with what they were making
>>
once i get my pentium ii 450 with MEGA HERTZES up and running im putting windows 3.1 on it
>>
You don't belong on /g/ if you don't have your own OS.
>>
>>61068073

See, the crappy part is your could build a beautiful OS and it would still never be used because there's no drivers.

See: nouveau. completely clean-room nvidia drivers for linux. Basically useless for non-2d tasks.
>>
>>61068978
yes, that's one thing. I don't blame them on this because they had to integrate software from various sources and it's better than having nothing. However, I blame then of breaking old things that worked fine in the name of "progress" but in the end they still only pile more crap on grabage. I'm already so angry at developers and their faggatory I only want to beat the shit out of them.
>>
>>61068073
Then you better help FreeDOS get in par with most operating systems. Unless you are lying that is exactly what you do if you miss DOS.
>>
If you think DOS is better than command line Linux or BSD, you're wearing nostalgia goggles. The latter are better in nearly every conceivable way except for the fact that DOS can run on an antique 386 PC.
>>
>>61069175
>>61069673

Nah, if I'd tried to modern up a system that's a re-implementation of something old I'd be as guilty as everyone doing another unix(like) and would have to beat myself up.

I understand that linux command line is more powerful than dos in many ways, but for gods sake that (remote) terminal shit is just retarded. Yes, mounting things from X to Y can be useful but I certainly prefer "D:" over mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2 (oh you didn't say anything about filesystem type there did you? lol).

Even using commands and switches was pretty consistent in DOS, in Linux I can read the man pages 5 times and see examples of how it's used and still don't have an idea how it's done.

Yes, linux (and unix) is in many ways simply retarded or insane as fuck. If you don't see this I have nothing else to say to you. I consider the plan9 memeos more tolerable that linux by orders of magnitude but it's still not as comfy as MS-DOS was.
>>
>>61068073
Godspeed anon.
>>
Try plan 9. It's unix done right.
>>
>>61069953
I think your points are wrong. One unified root is great and allows for portability; mount is done that way so it's just one mount. also what if there are 27 partitions.
There are less commands/switches in dos simply because it doesnt do as much. While i agree with you that modern linux gone much bloated, plan 9 as the unbloated alternative will make you really angry with its bind/mount/namespace stuff.
>>
>>61070003
I tried it. I might be able to live with it if developers got around doing what must be done but but currently it's just another bunch of asshats playing pretend. At least that's how I see it. (that's basically 9front)

I had some hopes for HarveyOS but the first thing those asshats did was removing x86 support, completly fucking retarded. The rest isn't much better as they went unix emulation something.

Gah, I'm rageing again. After all those years, I just had it. Something is clearly wrong with Developers. Even those that seem quite good and sane at one moment are doing something so extreemly retarded and stupid I got speechless many times.

I have no choice other then doing it myself. I don't really want to as there are a thousand other things I'd rather do but it's just impossible to continue with their shit.
>>
>>61070223
>make you really angry with its bind/mount/namespace stuff
yes it will, but then again it comes with nice things I'd consider more important. At least it's more consistend in most things because of it's everthing is a file design and 9p.
>>
>>61068073
freedos.org
>>
>>61068073
Nigger you have autism. Talk to your parents, take your meds, whatever, just get help before you end up hurting someone.
>>
>>61070496
>hurting someone
Sounds good. No seriously, it's on. Now I feel even more motivated to program. If I manage to even make 10% of what I have in mind, I'll fucking change the Software Landscape for good. People will like it and call the developers everywhere else out for their shit. Sales will stop, Companies get out of business and a shit load of asshats will lose their jobs. Because I'll be in control of the Project, I'll just reject the shit from asshats trying to switch or fail my stuff. I've seen too much, I basically can smell bad devs already. When they become jobless, homeless, go suicide I'll just laugh because the world just became I little better without them.
>>
>>61070599
You're not actually gonna produce and finish anything, though. You're just gonna shitpost about it and think that means you're contributing.
>>
>>61068153
So you can't figure out Linux but you think you can make an os from scratch?
>>
>>61070690
exactly that's what I'm gonna do. Because I don't have to deal with the stupidity of other people and only with my own, I can do it.
>>
>>61070790
I'll make the logo
>>
>>61068153
>I won't discuss this, if people could understand we already had a OS I could like and we don't have that.
Oh, you won't discuss and elaborate on your position? Thanks. Just stop replying people, we are done here.
>>
>>61070599
So it's not going to be open source?
>>
>write my own OS
Ahahahahaha good fucking luck buddy. I've done that myself and with years of programming under my belt it's nowhere near stable or usable.
>>
>>61068073
I hope you're aware that making a new operating system with decent hardware support in the current year is pretty much impossible
you'd also miss out on thousands of programs that can run on posix systems
>>
>>61072178
Can't make a logo without a name.
>>
>>61068073
If you miss DOS they why don't you just use FreeDOS rather than "writing an OS" which you most likely will never finish?
>>
Thats UI makes me pee pee hard.
>>
>>61072195
/thread
>>
>>61072224
>open source
it will be. after I got the initial framework done.

>>61072249
>hardware support
support ONE system is good enough. of course it must be desgined to be portable and people must be able to add new hardware and devices without breaking shit but supporting one system is good enough.
>>
>>61072382
>which you most likely will never finish?
or start
>>
>>61068073
Take a look at React OS and Haiku OS first.
>>
>>61068988
With a 450Mhz processor even Windows 95 won't work. It GPFs on boot.
>>
>>61073548
Where can I follow your project if you actually plan on doing it?
>>
>>61074726
nigga the fuck you smoking? I had win 98 on a 686 with 200Mhz
>>
Autistic retard.
>>
>>61068073
>>61068153
Why not look at microkernels, like seL4?
>>
>>61068073
>I miss MS-DOS
>not CP/M

>Hates Unix
Do you even use UNIX?

>inb4 hurr I use Linux, it's *nix like
topkek
>>
>>61068073
Die in a car crash.
>>
>>61068153
>I can't say most problems without raging my ass off. To summ it up, it's chaos, a frankensteins monster, a pain in the ass.
That's it's strong point, what makes it so great.
What UNIX are you using anyways? UNIX like has nothing to do with it.
It just seems like you are too dumb, why did you try it in the first place if you can't handle it, no wonder you miss MS-DOS.

>I won't discuss this, if people could understand we already had a OS I could like and we don't have that.
>I won't discuss this
Oh. Useless thread anon.

3/10
Points for effort, shitty and stale anyways, made me reply though.
>>
>>61072235
>I've done that myself and with years of programming under my belt it's nowhere near stable or usable.

Tell us about it. Why did you want to make it, and what is it like?
>>
>>61068073
Send me your email i'd be happy to help you in thos project, I love msdos too, for aesthetic and nostalgia reasons tho
>>
>>61069953
> I like my operating system to hide what its doing because I'm stupid.
You realize the DOS naming convention is fully retarded right?
>>
>>61074726
guy gets it to run on a p4 2.4ghz machine almost hour long vid but actually entertaining

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IH8w0YIKc7s
>>
>>61075803
>>61070496
Nice shitpost fags
>>
Try NetBSD.
>>
>>61068073
I too miss MS-DOS. I can only imagine how fun scripting in Windows could have been like if Microsoft had maintained and enhanced DOS tools the way Linux and BSD did with their console utilities.
>>
>>61068073
use TempleOS
>>
File: FreeDOS-1.0-LiveCD-Boot.png (83KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
FreeDOS-1.0-LiveCD-Boot.png
83KB, 640x480px
FreeDOS needs more love
>>
ARM64 fag here back, I just came to tell you to check out FreeVMS, it has an MS DOS style in the interface (kernel is a SYS file, exe's, MS DOS like API and applications). It's a good starting point.
>>
>>61077922
Link?
>>
>>61078019
you can always use google my friend
>>
>>61069953
>Even using commands and switches was pretty consistent in DOS, in Linux I can read the man pages 5 times and see examples of how it's used and still don't have an idea how it's done.
DOS was a clone of CP/M.
Comparing DOS to UNIX is comparing apples to oranges.
To you DOS appears more consistent because it's an extremely simple, single user, single-process system.

>Yes, mounting things from X to Y can be useful but I certainly prefer "D:" over mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2 (oh you didn't say anything about filesystem type there did you? lol).
OS/2 naming convention was absolutely bonkers and even modern windowses don't handle it this way, just "cover it up" so the user familiar with the old ways isn't lost.

>comfy
this word again, fuck off you're just nostalgic for when you were a kid.
>>
>>61077922
isn't NT made by VMS devs too
>>
>>61078092
possibly, there are lots of implementation crossovers. This one has a MS DOS style ABI and userland on top of a l4 kernel, its great
>>
>>61078083
Ok

>>61078092
It was in fact
>>
>>61068073
Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
>>
>>61078092
It was. Not only was it made by VMS devs but it imitates VMS in many ways.

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-client/windows-nt-and-vms-rest-story
>>
>>61068073
>Okay, I miss MS-DOS.
>I'm going to learn how to program and I'll write my own OS.

Firstly, that picture is not MS-DOS. Its a C++ compiler running on a virtual DOS. The OS in the system is clearly Vista or above, running an 'OG' theme.

Secondly, what exactly were you doing on MS-DOS, when you don't seem to have basic programming knowledge, or even a realistic view of what 'programming' is.

Lastly, you don't have any problems, what you have is the fantasy of having problems. If windows spyware is what's bothering you (that's the only conceivable issue a non programmer could have) there's plenty of ways to disable them. Hell, there are even noob scripts that do all the work for you.

Google before shitposting, especially on a topic that involves no discussion whatsoever. You're asking people for information, you could find yourself in 0.000000067 seconds. If you're that lazy, programming isn't for you.
>>
I personally find gnu/linux to be the least infuriating OS to use.
Windows has really poor multitasking, probably why the popular tools are all in one suites rather than a set of good minimal tools.
Android is limited by shitty software and limited hardware.
iOS have the same problems as android, but with more limitations on the hardware. In most cases it goes to the favor of the users though.
OSX has very limited hardware support, and doesn't work on high end computers, so I never bothered to try it. I hear it is fine if you can live with the hardware selection though.

gnu/linux is simple to understand, easy to extend and made for programmers and by programmers.
The largest problem with this mindset is that everything is in english and some people prefer to have it in their local language.
This is not a problem for me personally, I accept english as the global language as well as the professional language I use. But it is a limitation for someone like my grandmother, so I write the scripts for her and she just deals with the translations in the interfaces.
>>
>>61068073
Bear in mind that you might end with using Linux kernel because drivers and whatnot. This does not put any practical restrictions on what you want OS to do.
>>
File: 1489798135636.jpg (16KB, 273x257px) Image search: [Google]
1489798135636.jpg
16KB, 273x257px
>>61078647
Your grandmother runs scripts you write?
Elaborate, i'm curious
>>
>>61079501
For example, she writes letters to people.
But there is no good software for doing this.
So she writes the letters using a a5 format in libreoffice.
The script I have made takes the document, converts into pdf, then imports it and rotates the pages in latex and makes a new pdf with 4 a5 pages on a single a4 paper.
She can then print it out, and fold it.
The script is called using the context menu when she right clicks the document from the file manager.
>>
>>61079732
very nice.
>>
>>61079877
I found it...
#!/bin/sh
#converts input document to pdf letter format

CAJA_SCRIPT_SELECTED_URIS="test.odt" #not needed when using context menu $~/.config/caja/scripts/

libreoffice --writer --headless --convert-to pdf $CAJA_SCRIPT_SELECTED_URIS
input="$(echo $CAJA_SCRIPT_SELECTED_URIS | cut -d '.' -f1).pdf"
output="$1.tex"
echo -n "
\documentclass[a4paper,10pt]{article}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{tikz}
\usepackage{geometry}
\geometry{a4paper,tmargin=0cm,bmargin=0cm,left=-8pt,right=0cm}
\setlength\textheight{\paperheight}
\setlength\textwidth{\paperwidth}
\begin{document}
~\\\\[-20pt]
\includegraphics[page=4,scale=1]{" >> $output; echo -ne $input >> $output; echo -n "}%
\includegraphics[page=1,scale=1]{" >> $output; echo -ne $input >> $output; echo -n "} \\\\[-0.1cm]
\begin{tikzpicture} \node[rotate=180] {\includegraphics[page=3,scale=1]{" >> $output; echo -ne $input >> $output; echo -n "} }; \end{tikzpicture}%
\begin{tikzpicture} \node[rotate=180] {\includegraphics[page=2,scale=1]{" >> $output; echo -ne $input >> $output; echo -n "} }; \end{tikzpicture}
\end{document}
" >> $output
pdflatex $output #> /dev/null
rm -f *.aux *.log *.tex *.tex.backup
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.