[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how have television stations been able to stream at higher bitrates

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: ramsay.jpg (418KB, 1084x768px) Image search: [Google]
ramsay.jpg
418KB, 1084x768px
how have television stations been able to stream at higher bitrates for all this time via satellite

and yet we cant get online streams higher than 1Mbps for "HD" and actual satelite speeds are pathetic so we use landlines and under-ocean lines
>>
>>61044653
It's like UDP, it only has to go one way, and since TV's don't send data back, you can skip most of the overhead involved with a tcp/IP connection and just broadcast packets 1 way as fast as possible.
>>
>>61044708
This.
/thread
>>
>>61044708
This combined with the fact that with television everyone is receiving the same stream.
>>
>>61044724

wouldnt that need more total bandwidth from the initial server tho?

theres clearly some type of transcoding that is also taking place since you'll see compression artifacts on some stations, usually most noticable on their overlays
>>
>>61044871
>wouldnt that need more total bandwidth from the initial server tho?
Why? You're broadcasting it to everyone. Not sending individual copies of the information for each user.
>>
>>61044871
for satellite, it's like they're uploading to twitch.
for local broadcast, they have an antenna.
>>
>>61045483
I should mention, in this analogy twitch has an antenna in space.
>>
File: 0741.jpg (4MB, 4288x3216px) Image search: [Google]
0741.jpg
4MB, 4288x3216px
>>61044871
It's the same thing as listening to the radio. You can change the channel on your television but every channel is coming down the wire at all times.
In the olden days there were companies that would pay you to log what shows you watched because there was no way for providers to know what channel your TV was tuned to in the spectrum.
>>
>>61044653
>stream
Lol.

>>61044708
>It's like UDP
Ahahahaha. At least you mentioned broadcast at the end.

OP, it is more like sending packets to the broadcast address on your network (for a 255.255.255.0 network, sending to 192.168.0.255).
It is BROADCAST, not sent to a specific client.
For webstreams every client is an individual connection, 100 viewers means 100x the bandwidth required.
For TV every client is listening in to the broadcast. It doesn't matter how many clients receive it because it isn't directed to any individual client.

And no, broadcasting streams wouldn't work. You can't send broadcast packets to another network and the Internet is a network of networks.
>>
>>61045688
Nielsen testing is still around, it's just more sophisticated now, also it covers radio and outdoor noise and it's basically a microphone that identifies specially encoded nielsen audio markers embedded into broadcast media and reports every piece of mainstream media you might have accidentally absorbed.
>>
>>61046814
>specially encoded nielsen audio markers embedded into broadcast media
I thought the cable boxes that everyone has now would cover that but I guess it could never be that innocent.
Where are these microphones? If they were monitoring me would I know?
>>
>>61046943
there are specific nielsen boxes that nielson pays you to have.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.