[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's happening >At this point, it seems like the cat's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: rt_Selection_078.jpg (147KB, 811x819px) Image search: [Google]
rt_Selection_078.jpg
147KB, 811x819px
It's happening
>At this point, it seems like the cat's out of the bag.
>There are certain things I can now confirm.
>Yes, Lenovo will be making a special edition ThinkPad as part of the 25th anniversary celebration.
>It’s aimed at enthusiasts and superfans that were kind enough to share their thoughts about what the laptop might be.
>As with any new product we develop, there are always technical and cost limitations but I think where we landed is quite impressive.
>The product will embody many of the things people asked for.
You asked for it /g/. You better buy this shit
>>
forgot link
http://blog.lenovo.com/en/blog/retro-thinkpad-its-alive/
>>
>>61034761
>>As with any new product we develop, there are always technical and cost limitations but I think where we landed is quite impressive.

>there are always technical and cost limitations but I think where we landed is quite impressive.
>technical and cost limitations but I think where we landed is quite impressive.

It's going to be more chinknovo trash, isn't it?
>>
post yfw this shit uses uefi and is 16:9
>>
>>61035180
I'm tentatively hopeful though. I'm really needing an upgrade to the old T420s. Of course I might as well expect
>muh whitelist
>muh OEM battery only
>>
>>61034761
I wonder if Lenovo will also go retro on the spyware. Maybe Reader Rabbit or WeatherBug. I’d chip in a few satoshis to see a modern day BonsaiBuddy.
Of course it will ship with
>Windows
so there's that
>>
>>61034761
can anyone explain why I would be interested in this? or provide some context? otherwise this just seems like a badly written teaser ad.
>>
>>61035367
The ThinkPad line has a long history of being known for build quality and reliability, particularly in the era when they were built by IBM, before being sold to Lenovo. This was epitomized by a ThinkPad that survived a fire. Additionally, in the older era of Linux driver compatibility, where buying a laptop was fraught with peril, ThinkPads had a reputation of being a safe bet. They would reliably work, or could be made to work with minimal tweaking. There is even an entire Wiki dedicated to this.
A lot of devotees (ala Apple fans) look back fondly on the earlier era of ThinkPad hardware, and in doing so focus (rightly or wrongly) on some of the aesthetic aspects of the laptops of that era:
>No focus on thinness at the cost of processing power and battery life.
>A 4:3 screen aspect ratio.
>The logo itself (again, this is part emotional aesthetic, part rational).
>The particular texturing of the trackpoint (“keyboard nub mouse”).
>The particulars of the keyboard layout, and the keyboard feel being of high quality.
So on and so forth. You get the idea.
>>
>>61035449
Two-ish years ago a half-joking product designer (engineer?) at Lenovo wrote a blog post asking what people might want in a “Retro” ThinkPad. The post went viral, so they did a followup of 4 surveys asking people for opinions on the specifics of what it would mean for a ThinkPad to be “retro” to them. Sort of saying “Okay, we went viral, that’s cool, but it was just a poorly-thought-out brainstormed idea. What do you people really want?”
I’m looking for these supposed leaks right now, but based on this post its safe to say the idea is that they are actually following through on a production model based on those surveys.
>>
>>61034761
I went from Thinkpad to Macbooks several years ago and spending a lot of time thinking / prototyping with touch gestures, but occasionally miss the trackpoint.
The questions I have regarding input though is this:
Does a modern-day trackpoint still have the flaw where it occasionally ‘drifts’ to calibrate ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointing_stick )
In an age of pressure-sensitive touch and vibration-based haptics, has Lenovo (or anyone else) tried inventing a touch-based trackpoint that combined clicking in the trackpad such that one wouldn’t need buttons below the spacebar, or ’replacement caps?
>>
ThinkPad used to have a cult-like following. I'm know some still exist, but everyone I know who would have quit a job over not being able to use a Thinkpad has long since moved on. Including myself. Those that remain are the types who will use 10 year old laptops willingly.
Lenovo ruined the Thinkpad brand entirely. I'm hopeful for this old school return of a "quality tank of a laptop with a real keyboard" but we'll see. Recent track record tells me this won't be super interesting.
If I could get a modern-spec Thinkpad with a Macbook pro quality screen and the old school Thinkpad keyboard I'd be on board in a hot minute.
>>
>>61034761
There is only one true rebirth of the Thinkpad. X61/T70 or nothing. All the chinks and billions of dollars at Lelnopevo can't even match a bunch of amateurs nb51:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=zh-CN&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fforum.51nb.com%2Fforum.php%3Fmod%3Dviewthread%26tid%3D1721757%26extra%3Dpage%253D1%26page%3D1&edit-text=
>>
Lenovo is fucked. They've got a literal fucking bimbo leading product development. I shit you not. Again, catering to niche shit, this thing will be so fucking shit. This kind of stuff isn't cheap to do, and ThinkPad enthusiasts aren't wealthy on average, so they'll have to compromise. That of course means skimping and an overall shit product.

The whole company is just meaningless, wishy washy bullshit. I already have the old pre-1995 ThinkPads, ones later and modern ones. I have the real things. I don't need this shit. I can tell from the teaser pic alone that they're going to be shit.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.