[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For anyone who has a job programming 1) What is the most

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8

File: Capture 2.png (2MB, 1159x909px) Image search: [Google]
Capture 2.png
2MB, 1159x909px
For anyone who has a job programming

1) What is the most stressful part of being a computer programmer?
2) What do people think you do vs what you actually do?
3) How do you deal with the stress of your job?
4) How did you get your foot in the door of the world of programming?
5) Who are the hardest people to deal with in your job?
>>
>>61032761
I quit programming but here is myexperience:

>1) What is the most stressful part of being a computer programmer?
Persistent bugs, especially close to deadlines. Once I was nearly shipped off along with the equipment when the deadline approached. I killed the bug as they wrapped the equipment in plastic for shipping.

>2) What do people think you do vs what you actually do?
bash keyboards and drink coffee vs. think hard and drink tea. I used to drink chocolate once but the bathroom scales complained.

>3) How do you deal with the stress of your job?
You don't. You live with it and debug code in your dreams. We had 6 months crunch times and you worked day and nigh, 7 days a week.

>4) How did you get your foot in the door of the world of programming?
Back then you needed only a pulse to qualify.

>5) Who are the hardest people to deal with in your job?
Customers with no realistic view on what is possible and sales people who promise the impossible. One place I worked at tanked after the sales team killed us with an impossible task. They got a bonus. We lost out jobs.
>>
>>61032833
Sounds like you need Haskell.
>>
>>61032833
damn sounds rough man
>>
File: 1494547861941.gif (3MB, 338x207px) Image search: [Google]
1494547861941.gif
3MB, 338x207px
>>61032761
Getting the job in the first place. Interviewing and preparing for interviews is a fucking pain in the ass for multiple reasons. The last place I worked at shut down after several months, starting at another place soon. That being said, I found dealing with a old, shitty codebase, tools, and bad decisions from above to be annoying.

No idea.

Sleep? It's tiring but I enjoy the challenge and constantly learning and improving.

I taught myself early on, got a math heavy degree, then a bootcamp, and was able to find my first dev job.

No one really, but I have trouble doing small talk and no one at the previous company shared any of my interests. Still did good work and was able to get positive recommendations.
>>
>>61032761
If the thread is still up in 10h I'll answer more on depth but unrealistic expectations and managers that don't understand the tech and want you to do shit their way are the worse.
I destress walking in the woods nearby the office.
Engineering degree + technical course passed with flying colors.
>>
>>61032870
THIS OMG
Haskell makes the customers with no realistic view on what they want go away along with all the other customers.
>>
>>61032761
Dealing with stupid people's shit and giving time estimates for something you have no idea how complex it could be because you are given like 3 seconds to think about it. And then expected to keep that estimate.
They think what I do is something very awesome due to what and where I work. In reality it's the same shit everywhere.
Detach myself and never "sacrifice" myself for the company without proper compensation because they will never return the favor otherwise. When my 8 hours are done I go home and stop thinking about work. It usually takes an hour on Monday morning to even remember and retrace what I were doing the previous week.
Just went with the software engineering track because it was the least shittiest offer at my local university that some quality.
Stupid people generally. And most old "senior" people. They would rather have the department to be cut than admit that their suggested architecture and design is bad.
>>
>>61032761

Broken libraries that don't get fixed by maintainers.

Working hard every second vs. browsing 4chan while shit is compiling.

Every job has stress.
That's normal.

And the solution is always the same:
Drink alcohol and beat up the wife and kids when you come home.

The hard way:
Internship --> lousy job --> slightly better jobs --> freelancing in my free time --> good job

Quite frankly, certain customers are just assholes.
There are the stupid assholes, the ones who think they are smart but continuously surprise you with very bad ideas.. ("We had an in-house programmer changing the program you gave us. Can you fix it and add new features above his clusterfuck functions?")
And then there are vicious customers who try to loot you ("Oh yes, you see, we said we wanted it to work COMPLETELY next month, so please add this few '''''''''small''''''''' functions. Otherwise it won't work properly. No, they should be done in no time, it's no big deal. Will ya or do I have to talk to your boss?")
And many more.
>>
>real fucking programmer here, worked for fucking years in the goddamn soul-sucking industry and wouldn't trade it for anything because fuck yes

>stressful
Crunch time/something has horribly broken because of a bug and we need it FIXED RIGHT FUCKING NOW OH MY GOD YOU ARE SO INCOMPETENT WHY DID WE EVEN HIRE YOU (jesus fuck calm down, bugs happen, mr. suit)

>do vs actually do
Fucking magic, vs. hours and days of sweating over every single fucking line of code

>deal with stress
Videogames

>foot in the door
Just worked my way up to it in the company I was in

>hardest people to deal with
"Designers", i.e. people who play around with flowcharts and bullshit all day and read SICP and think they're hot shit even though they couldn't write a real line of fucking code to save their fucking life and yet they're brown-nosing shitheads that are the ones that talk to the higher-ups and get credit for everything we do.
>>
>>61032761

Uh, I don't know, it isn't that stressful. It's not like anyone's lives are at stake, I know my own abilities make sure everyone else knows what I can or can't do, I know its not the end of the world if I lose my job, so fuck it, why would I get stressed.

I don't really spend much time at all writing code but that's also because I wear a lot of hats

Don't really get stressed tbqh

Emailed a dude and asked if he would mentor me

I'm alright with people so it isn't hard dealing with anyone.
>>
>>61032761
Im not writing you an essay on what its like being a programmer
>>
there is a lot of resented code monkeys ITT.
>>
Deadlines.
It's not entirely coffee + coding. There's a lot of meetings, and increasingly cross-department kind of stuff (I work in a big corporation that designs hardware, software, data analytics, etc.)
To be honest, it's not very stressful. I actually found university was 10x more stressful.
I was hired for something completely different (PLC/automation testing) and made a lateral move.
I hate to say it, but offshore people.
>>
I'm a data engineer, but I do quite a bit of programming alone with operations.

1. Planning out what it needs to do, how it will do it, and any edge cases. Basically getting all the parameters of what it will do.

2. Fiddle with logs and stuff, that's not far off, but I also do some tooling and whatnot.

3. Generally if I'm not making much progress on something I'll ask my coworker if he has some idea of what I could do or move to something else for a bit.

4. During highschool I did a little bit of programming and fiddling with linux. All my time during college I programmed and fiddled with stupid shit in my off time, cost me some grades and shit, but ultimately I learned more than I ever would have in class.

5. No one really; everyone is pretty approachable, knowledgeable, and helpful. The only difficult part of people is the organization of teams/sprints/etc. In general when I'm programming it's for tooling that only we use or a small group of people use. Generally all the feedback on my tool(s) have been positive, I've gotten bugs to fix and good suggestions to implement which makes me happy :).
>>
>>61033178
i'll be waiting

>student on semester break, 2 years programming exp, no job, really want one though. have a portfolio with personal projects that are pretty good
>>
>>61032761

I work as a free software developer, and mostly do upstream work. So these are probably non-traditional answers.

Dealing with members of a community / maintainers that don't understand how a community project is meant to fucking work. Double that for working on standards where one company wants to gain a monopoly. Everything becomes political and it's fucking bullshit.

Also there's the constant reminder that everything you make is complete dogshit because all software is terrible and any hype surrounding software is always unfounded.

I dunno. I guess people think I just bash out code all day, but I spend a lot of time dealing with drama. In general I find that people's view of programming is people just smashing keys on a keyboard -- I generally spend a lot more time thinking about a solid solution and refining it rather than bashing out lines of code.

Going on trips with my gf, hobbies, working on toy projects.
I definitely enjoy doing programming, all of the politics is what stresses me out.

I started programming as a kid, and eventually found out about GNU and have been working on free software ever since.

See (1). Usually startup founders or people who buy into hype. They're the fucking worst.
>>
>>61032761
Everything.
Solve though problems.
You have to be comfortable with stress otherwise find another career, stress is the job.
Impress people with awesome stuff I've done
Bosses that keep giving you work like if you are some kind of wizard that can do impossible things.
>>
>>61032761
>>61033178
Ok, here ve go.
Actually two parts:
One is, as already said, managers underestimating difficulties and salesman selling projects for "tomorrow" even if we're already overworked.
Also the few times manager impose technologies instead of giving you a problem and letting you figure the solution, especially when they are imposing a ass-backward solution that kinda worked once so "we already have an expertise in the field".
The second one is micro managing and tracking your every breath so that they know what customer to bill for your work.
And that's in my "factory" as they call them.
Other factories have other problems, like the one assigned always to the same customer where programmer are forced to work always on the same old and reliable tech, thus stopping them to keep up with times, and making life harder for them if they ever have to look for another job.

Think: hit key like a monkey.
Do: study a lot, read documentation, google problems, read api documentation, read stackoverflow from time to time, read manuals, read customer documents, prepare documentation.
There are also the one that hit keys like a monkey without properly studying the problem before, and putting together only SO answers. It shows in their code.

Having he office located on the edge of a wood is the biggest godsend ever.
Everyday I eat lunch in front of the computer and then I spend the actual lunchtime walking in the woods for almost an hour.
The green, squirrels, cows, donkeys, sheeps, roe deers. I come back to the office fresher than when I start in the morning.
>>
>>61038339
cont'd

The degree in engineering wasn't really key. The bootcamp was co-financed by the company I work for now and I was scouted immediately after thanks to the teachers putting a very good word after the bootcamp ended.
The degree in engineering gave me the "forma mentis" to greatly outperform all the other guy in the course, though.

Fuck, I accidentally answered this in the first one.
But yeah, going in detail I now am working on a joint project with other two companies on home automation. My manager insist to filter all my work, dumbs down it to "keep an edge over the others", asks me to use technologies I've never used because "a guy used it when he was a training and we already know this" only without passing me any documentation and after I studied it myself realizing is absolutely not the right tech, but has a side effect that is kinda useful for our situation but... I'm gonna stop, because I'm getting angry as I write.

That's pretty much it for me.
I haven't looked at the rest of the thread yet, but I'm sure there's a wide range of answers.
>>
>>61032761
Who is this slut?
>>
>>61032761
Working with other people's code.

>game.addFeature(guns)

Games.

Applied for a job.

The non-programmers who think we are magicians.
>Can't you just game.addFeature(guns)?
>>
>>61034237
Excellent post.
>>
Who here does Scrum or Agile development? I've read that these are increasingly meaningless terms and that teams just work in a way that only superficially resembles these methods.
>>
>>61038560
You still need a job?
>>
>>61032761
I refuse to talk to a disgusting animated nigger.
>>
1. I can't tell if school was more stressful or interviews. School was really only stressful because of procrastination.
2. I don't know what people think I do. I imagine they think I code all day and sometimes that's true. But usually I'm watching funny videos on YouTube.
3. I don't get too stressed about work but I'll usually just pop headphones in when I need 100% focus. I am more stressed about my health.
4. I guess I got a.degree and interviewed until someone was dumb enough to hire me (funnily enough while I mean that, I was probably the smartest person.at that job)
5. Co-workers who insist how you program is the wrong way. "Yeah you don't wanna do that it can cause problems" I wanna tell them "well it hasn't caused any problems yet so how about you fuck off?" Much of the time they don't know what they're talking about but.they insist that you must be doing something wrong.
>>
>>61032761

Having to implement vague requirements and work within a restrictive framework that has bugs.

Some people think it's a high-class engineering job with great pay, but in reality it's not rocket science and the pay isn't that good if you're an average programmer.

I just deal with it. It's way better than manual labor. I never want to get back into those kinds of jobs.

I just sent my resume to the email listed on the job posting. I didn't have any special connections in the industry.

My boss. He has to approve everything.
>>
>>61038631
I'd say that any company not doing safety related products (waterfall or V-model) are doing scrum or agile development. Scrum is basically we have no work method at all than having daily/weekly planning meetings where you have to own up why you aren't done yet. Agile development is bullshit in general where people get certified for astronomical costs.
>>
>>61038674
Me? Why?
>>
>>61032761
Unrealistic deadlines. When short staffed or under performing on a crucial project, sometimes no matter how hard you try you cannot get it, or you burn the midnight oil hacking it together. Really really tough spots are super stressful
I think people think I sit at a desk all day. I actually have a standing desk so I only sit 60% of the day (I should stand more)
Liquor, weed, motorcycles, prostitutes. All easily affordable on 6 figures.
git gud nub. For real: got an internship at startup, worked a contract for a year. Got internship at big 4, worked at there for a bit, now I have good creds.
The stupid ones who manage people. Smart ones are OK.
>>
>>61034237
Yet you just had to shitpost?
>>
>>61032761
Damn, this thread made me wanna not go into programming. Guess I gotta do mech eng now
>>
>>61032761
dealing with deadline when the estimated time is impossible to meet. and low salary.
>2) What do people think you do vs what you aQctually do?
don't know what people think.
i don't
bad luck
mostly project manager and sales department, demanding something that they can't even comprehend themselves.
>>
>>61038746
Figured you'd be able to make money from your site and could afford to sit on your ass all day.
>>
>>61038862
It's not actually stressful, these are just beta males who are high strung and don't know how to set or deal with limits which is very common among people working in this industry (and aspies in general)
>>
>>61038692
>5. Co-workers who insist how you program is the wrong way. "Yeah you don't wanna do that it can cause problems" I wanna tell them "well it hasn't caused any problems yet so how about you fuck off?" Much of the time they don't know what they're talking about but.they insist that you must be doing something wrong.

No QA process at your company?
>>
Deadlines
When I explain it sounds very complex and everyone thinks I'm a genius. It's codemonkey tier shit in reality.
Hobbies, working out etc.
Degree, applied for job and did a few programing tests.
Almost everyone who is not a dev. I have trouble connecting with the sales & support people. I also hate the people who can't provide a detailed specification on how they want something implemented or what the hell it's supposed to do. I'm not a damn mindreader.
>>
>mfw I somehow got a part time Junior Dev position first year in college and the wage is already above average for this country (for 20hrs/week)
I ain't even mad
>>
File: 1459367391108.jpg (47KB, 569x472px) Image search: [Google]
1459367391108.jpg
47KB, 569x472px
Anyone here work in an open landscape office where devs, sales people and sys-admins are mixed?
>>
>>61039660
you mean Hell?
>>
>>61039660
Sounds like an environment where nothing productive gets done.
>>
>>61032761
When something went wrong and your customer cant do anything so you are in a hurry to fix it
They think i keep on creating new code functions etc while i just copy paste my old work in 95% of all assignments
By waiting for the next paycheck
a friend working in the company got me in
The boss that keeps telling you to do things different
>>
>>61039695
Yes
>>61039713
I get my shit done. I have my breaks while working. The sales people and sys-admins have massive coffee breaks 2-3 times a day. They also get to work later and leave earlier. Such is life as programmer.
>>
File: Bez tytułu.png (34KB, 658x475px) Image search: [Google]
Bez tytułu.png
34KB, 658x475px
when you have to deal with shitty library
>>
>>61039812
>Value.Value.Value.Value.ToString()
literal poo-jeet code
>>
>>61039812
That's a big method call.
>>
>>61040123
>For you
>>
>>61032761
Deadlines

My boss seem to think that me and the other developers have plenty of time to implement new features based on the whims of our clients. What we really do is fix bugs and then try to implement new stuff when we believe those bugs are fixed, only to discover more bugs.

Nothing. A little stress is healthy and motivating. Too much stress is bad though.

My father piked my interest when I was little, but it's mostly due to my university degree that I got a job.

Clients
>>
>>61032761
figuring out how to spend and invest all my spondoola

people think that i perform quite amazing feats of abstraction manipulation, forging new worlds incomprehensible to their walnut sized minds, and they are right
>>
nice data mining botnet
>>
>>61040321
Oh, come on senpai.
>>
>>61032761
deadlines
They think I do my job. I actually do it, but don't rush stuff since nowadays it's pretty calm
I don't have much stress, and it's only once in a while when we ship our stuff to the client
I started to get interested about programming in high school, learned C by myself, installed linux, and made studies in computer science or whatever you call it in english. I put my CV in some websites, sent it to companies and answered job offers. My current job is a guy that contacted me after looking at my CV, I had a first interview with a little test to check I'm not retarded and can do stuff, and a second interview with the boss.
I still don't have to deal with a lot of people, but for what I understood, the most difficult is to deal with someone that can't do its work properly / introduce a lot of bugs and someone that have no clue what he is talking about and blame devs for its incompetence.
>>
>>61032761
1) Dealing with the god awful coworkers who steal code from github without giving attribution, making sure it is the right license, etc. They tend to find the most esoteric solution, which obviously they dont understand, which would make thing 100x worse if others wern't watching them like a hawk...

2) People think I'm a super cheerful guy who loves programming and learning new things; whereas In reality I spend most days contemplating doing a psych PhD.

3) My job isn't stressful; annoying sure, occasionally stupid, very. But not stressful. I have tunes, I'm gtg. I can tune out retard cowrokers pretty easily that way.

4) Master Degree, a set of visible projects they could look at, and someone saying "Anon isn't completely retarded"

5) See #1. Additionally, my superiors tend to not be tech literate people. That can be occasionally frustrating.
>>
File: 1497368032490.png (221KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1497368032490.png
221KB, 480x480px
>>61032761
Retarded deadlines.
Generic IT stuff.
I don't really know how to deal with it desu.
By luck I guess.
Other programmers from external companies.
>>
File: 1482024348889.jpg (55KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1482024348889.jpg
55KB, 640x480px
>>61032761
1. Dealing with legacy code.
2. I don't know. It doesn't matter. I get work done, and my manager is chill.
3. Rant to coworkers, shitpost on company HipChat.
4. Friend referred me. I have a degree, but referrals are always the strongest factor.
5. Girls?
>>
>>61033174
>Getting the job in the first place. Interviewing and preparing for interviews is a fucking pain in the ass for multiple reasons.
What country is this?

Isn't there a severe shortage of software developers? Here in Portugal they're so desperate they'll take anyone in as long as he knows the basics.
>>
>>61036406
>I actually found university was 10x more stressful.
Fucking this. I'm never going back.
My quality of life improved bounds after getting out of uni.
>>
>>61032761
Dealing with other people's code, it's hard to tell when minor changes will snowball into huge refactoring jobs
I don't update coffee to fit standards I write sed/awk scripts to do it.
By separating work and home life. Also good food
I knew a guy
People whom are retarded but you don't out rank
>>
Seems like the lot of you work for consulting firms. That fucking sucks.
>>
File: 1489614453125.jpg (141KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1489614453125.jpg
141KB, 720x720px
>>61042844
I live in the US. Like I mentioned before, my old company basically ran out of money.

It's much more favorable when the firm you interview for has to convince you to move from your current (hopefully comfortable) position to theirs. Usually this means a shit ton more negotiating power. It also means you don't have to continuously explain again and again why you got laid off and that it had nothing to do with your abilities. I also slacked and didn't start job searching until months passed by.

It's a pain in general because updating resume, LinkedIn, other job search websites, personal projects, doing phone screens and day long onsites, working with multiple recruiters, grinding multi-hour long DS/A online tests, going through programming books and resources, reading through hundreds of job listings and applying via custom UI and questions each time, being forced to pressure HR repeatedly for your travel fees, etc. And don't get me started on recruiters.

Even when you have a verbal offer in hand, it's still too early to celebrate because you need to negotiate it or the company will fuck you. And there's no guarantee the company will keep their word on a verbal (it's all at-will), so you have to continue interviewing behind their back. There's also often legal bullshit you have to parse through in the form of non-competes and invention rights and background checks.

Entire process to find a decent gig was about 3 months, not counting the time I took it easy.
>>
>>61044937
Ok I understand. Seems to be a lot simpler here. I don't remember having to go through all that hassle of custom forms and stuff, but yeah, it's been a few years already.
Also, what the fuck is a verbal? Is that even legal?
>>
>>61045121
He doesn't have a CS degree but rather took the boot camp route which makes the job hunt more difficult even if he is a competent programmer.
>>
>>61032761
Sauce on the nigress?
>>
>>61033894
I like you.

Having to deal with other people's undocumented code. Especially being expected to understand it in a short timeframe and writing tests on it.

Expect me to know how to write apps that do anything, while I only write shitty android apps in my free time.

Fap in the toilet.

CS bachelor then 30 days unpaid stage back in 2008.

Idiot higher-up project managers that refuse to adopt new libraries because they're afraid and because the old ones are more widely used.
>>
>>61039493
Not really. A team of 9 programmers and so we have 1 DevOps who does QA and deployments.
>>
>>61032761
Realising that you make shit.

idk

Beer.

Very well,

Supervisors.
>>
>>61039812
>Polish comments
If this company is making android games i think i know who it is.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.