[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How dumb would it be to apply an epoxy to a headphone jack to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: UcZ7Ipm.png (90KB, 445x424px) Image search: [Google]
UcZ7Ipm.png
90KB, 445x424px
How dumb would it be to apply an epoxy to a headphone jack to prevent it from flexing?

I just had a pair of earbuds break after a year and a half because the circled part wore down and broke where it connects to the solid plastic jack and I think that solidifying it, filling in the gaps to stop it from flexing, should stop this from happening in the future
>>
>>61020194
If you prevent the strain relief from flexing, the cable will just fracture at the base of the strain relief, since it isn't really a strain relief anymore if it can't move.
>>
>>61020194
it's not the flexing, it's the way you treat the cable.
you've likely picked up the device by this cord, knowingly or unknowingly.
the flex bit doesn't make sense as it isn't what connects the cable, and the cable itself is flexible already.
>>
>>61020221
so what do you mean by that, that basically the cable itself would just fray where it connects to the strain relief, rather than the strain relief detaching from the plastic jack portion?
>>
File: 1493491014836.jpg (44KB, 630x361px) Image search: [Google]
1493491014836.jpg
44KB, 630x361px
>>61020269
Yes. If the strain relief is still flexible but just came apart from the plug and is now sliding up and down the cable, that you can fix, just glue it down. But if it can't move side to side then the cable will break. Well, will break much faster than it would otherwise.
>>
>>61020348
i already glued it down once and it held for a few months, but it has come apart again and even after gluing it, the cables are fucked. i used super glue like a dope but still

What about only putting a few drops of epoxy right on the part where the strain relief attaches to the plastic jack, but not the entire strain relief?
>>
Alternative, get earbuds with a replaceable cable.
>>
>>61020409
That'd stand a better chance of working.

I'm not surprised that ordinary superglue didn't hold up, it's only "super" compared that that shitty Elmer's junk that the slow kid ate in third grade. Cyanoacrylate bonds quickly and it holds plastic models and shit together real good, but it has awful shear strength and there's a lot of substances it doesn't bond to very well. Two-part epoxies are generally made of sterner stuff.
>>
>>61020526
im not that into it that i need expensive ones.

>>61020527
i looked online and all the advice with this like heat shrink wrap and all that are for straight jacks, not L-shaped ones, so i think epoxy may be my only choice
>>
>>61020580
You don't need expensive ones to get a replaceable cable. I'm using Mee Audio M6 Pros. You can replace the earphone tips and the cable very easily and cheaply. I'm not sure how many burgers they cost, but here in Canada, I only paid 60 maple crusted beaver pelts for them.
>>
Just put some shrinking tube on that, maybe 2 or 3 layers if you need. Works flawlessly and looks more aesthetically.
>>
>>61020617
>I only paid 60 maple crusted beaver pelts for them.

the ones I was using the past year and a half were a pair of Sonys that only cost between 10-15 deep fried twinkies that I really liked, especially with my weird ears they fit really well and caused no pain.

>>61020671

I would like to get them again but I want to find a way to protect them from getting this bend issue, and it seems lieka commonly used solution (heat shrink wrap like you are talking about) doesnt really work on L-shaped jacks but only on straight ones
>>
>>61020194

Just buy a new, better headphone jack and solder the wires in

This is what I do. I actually bought some jacks from radioshack the day before they close for only .30 a pop.
>>
>>61020723
no clue at all how to solder, and anyway, I would need to reaplce the entire L-Shaped jack, is that doable ?
>>
>>61020746
>I would need to reaplce the entire L-Shaped jack, is that doable ?

yes, you can even replace the entire wire with a better one if you want

if you cant solder you can simply braid the ends of the wire on to the connectors. Keep in mind thought that most headphones are litz wire, which have a waxy coating over them. The easiest way to get rid of that coating is using a lighter to burn it off, otherwise you wont be able to make a connection.

Soldering is easy enough though, and something like this is a good starting point. A cheap sub $10 iron and some solder would suffice.
>>
>>61020746
Easily. But by the time you buy a wondering iron, you may as well replace your poorfag-tier headphones instead.
>>
>>61020795
Soldering iron. Fuck you, Swype.
>>
>>61020795
yeah they are poorfag-tier earbuds and i like it like that
>>
>>61020409

duct tape over duct tape
>>
Expoxy and super glue are too rigid and will just crack and transfer the strain to another part of the cable. You need to use something like Permatex Black silicone.
>>
>>61020194
>buy heatshrink from ebay
>apply heatshrink over strain relief
>add heat
problem solved

if you want it to be on the safe aide, buy adhesive heatshrink
>>
braided cables are the FUTURE
>>
>>61021512
He already said that these don't work with L-shaped connectors, and he's right, unfortunately.
>>
>>61021580
you can easily find 3:1 heatshrink and probably even higher.

I doubt you wouldn't be able to fit it over the L connector
>>
There is stuff like Sugru that does this already. A plastic setting putting.
>>
The buffer are there to prevent flexing it would bend more and it'll break much faster like iCables
>>
what the flying fuck are you doing to your cables, that the fucking strain relief is wearing out?
>>
I work a job where I move a lot like burning 2000 extra calories a day. I get to listen to music so at least that is cool thing is a pair of ear buds last from 1 week to a month. I ordered xiaomi pistons on sale for $6 and the sound is pretty decent and they have lasted 3 months already so I am quite happy
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.