[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Graduate with a MSc in Computer Science >still don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: 1489300964406s.jpg (8KB, 250x211px) Image search: [Google]
1489300964406s.jpg
8KB, 250x211px
>Graduate with a MSc in Computer Science
>still don't know to program at all
>>
>>61005837
you should really get on that
>>
>>61005837
no shit, college only teaches you the basics
you need strong work ethic and interest in teaching yourself to actually succeed in the field
>>
>american education
no wonder why pajeets are replacing you, kek
>>
>>61005837
we only been taught how to write "hello world" in AS3
and then the mid-term is to create a functioning Flash platform game

thank god google is a thing
>>
>>61005837
That's okay. Neither do professional "programmers".
>>
File: mjwti.jpg (220KB, 825x1275px) Image search: [Google]
mjwti.jpg
220KB, 825x1275px
>>61005837
You better read this book lad
>>
File: 1456073077112.jpg (9KB, 268x284px) Image search: [Google]
1456073077112.jpg
9KB, 268x284px
>>61005837
Holy shit same hahaha.
>>
>>61005837
>Graduate with a MSc in Computer Science
>that is about 5-6 years of doing nothing but studying Computer Science
>5-6 years of study
How? Like, if you are a foreigner but lived in Japan for 5-6 years, you would pick Japanese naturally, even without taking classes. How did you not learn programming at all? Did purposefully close your eyes and ears at each and every lecture you attended? How did you pass your classes?
>>
>>61005837
Computer Science is a joke

>enjoy becoming neet
>>
Find a job nigger, they will teach you how to program
>>
>>61007596
not if you have an msc, then they expect some knowledge.
>>
>>61007642
>SIX YEARS AND STILL AN AIRHEAD
OF COURSE THEY EXPECT SOME KNOWLEDGE! SIX BLOODY YEARS OF STUDY SHOULD HAVE FILLED YOUR HEAD WITH AT LEAST A BIT OF IT!
>>
>>61007415
he's lying, everyone who says computer science degrees don't teach you how to program are literal neets who spread this bullshit to reassure themselves.
t. computer scientist who was taught assembly, c, c++, R and python at uni
>>
>>61007774
>everyone who says computer science degrees don't teach you how to program are [hurting my feels]
I guess it depends on your standard. I wouldn't say the kind of toy projects they force on you prepare you for any serious real-world application. It's usually the case (and perhaps even an implicit expectation) that people who are interested in the subject also gain some experience from working on their own projects in the background.
>>
>>61007848
obviously it's not like a real work environment although we were taught the agile programming approach and had to use it in practice for a larger project of ~10 people

but the 'muh computer scientists only learn hello world' is complete bullshit
>>
>>61007880
> 'muh computer scientists only learn hello world'
It's hyperbole, sure, but I wouldn't say it's "complete bullshit" for reasons I've already explained. I've known many CS students who were doing fine course-wise but couldn't be considered competent programmers.
>>
>>61005837

get a job bagging groceries like the rest of /g/
>>
>>61005837
science and industry are 2 different paths, most academic people are shitty programmers
>>
>>61008928
>most people are shitty programmers
FTFY.
>>
>>61009387
>most "good" programmers are shitty programmers
FTFY.
>>
>>61008928
>>61009387
>>61009887
So how do I know if I'm a shitty programmer or a good programmer?

I build shit that works, try to keep in mind scalability, and nobody complains about my code quality.
>>
File: 1496687399490.jpg (129KB, 620x850px) Image search: [Google]
1496687399490.jpg
129KB, 620x850px
>>61010048

as long as it just werks and you dont blow up the server, you're gud
>>
>>61005837
Did you treat it like K-12 where you just go do whatever the professor says, instead of using the resources provided to teach yourself?
>>
>>61010048
> how do I know if I'm a shitty programmer or a good programmer?
If you have to ask this question, you pretty much know you're a shitty programmer. :^)
>>
>get compliments from boss and senior devs
>they tell me that they hired two people before me who got fired because they didn't know shit
>tell me i'm doing great
>still feel like a shit programmer
>probably am
>>
>>61005837
Are you actually retarded?
>>
>>61007596
>job
>will teach you

wot? every job expects you to have gained proficiency in the requisite skills on your own.
>>
File: 1426071527514.jpg (87KB, 720x450px) Image search: [Google]
1426071527514.jpg
87KB, 720x450px
>>
File: frog.png (105KB, 883x1024px) Image search: [Google]
frog.png
105KB, 883x1024px
>>61007244
Legit? I loved AS3 was my first language.
>>
>>61013299
definitely not. I'm interning this summer and the first 2 weeks were all training on their dev environment and the languages/frameworks they use, versioning systems, etc...

If you get hired there out of college, they spend 2 months training you instead of 2 weeks while they give you bigger and bigger things to work on.
>>
>>61015346
Canadian undergrad here, planning on doing an internship after this year (3rd), have to send in applications in September/October. What were your tactics for getting an internship other than spamming lots of applications?

If you skipped college and went straight to the business, answers are still appreciated
>>
>>61015453
literally just spamming a lot of apps and getting lucky man. I applied a ton of places, heard back with a phone interview from 4, got invited on site for 2 and only got an offer from the place i'm working. Just apply as many places as you can and don't be afraid to apply at places outside your geographic location, the place I ended up at is like 4 hours away from where I go to school I just got an apartment here for the summer. Also, your uni probably gives mock interviews in their student success center or whatever they call it where you go, go do one of those because the first interview I had I did bad just because I didn't have any interview experience outside of grocery stores and it was a lot different.
>>
>>61013721
that's voltaire not descartes you CIA nigger.
>>
>>61015493
Sounds good senpai, and I'll probably be sending applications to every one on the list (and then some) just to see what I can get, even if it's ridiculously far away. Pretty much staking my career on an internship somewhere and using that experience to keep swinging upward. We're all gonna make it
>>
>>61007774
>>61007415
Apparently there are universities at which compsci is basically maths + very limited practically applicable shit that has not been in use in reality anywhere for decades
>>
>>61015679
I know you're being sarcastic, but people here actually believe that computer science is not that.
>>
>>61015732
It really depends on the university, country and other factors
There are "universities for applied sciences" which aren't as theoretical
>>
>>61005837
Congratulations, you're living in a nation that has diploma mills.

Everyone else who got a degree in comp.sci can program quite okay, and it's certainly not the only thing they can do.
>>
>>61015679
>>61015776
There aren't any reputable comp.sci universities where you can pass without being quite decent at a bunch of programming languages.

Whether they have a focus on applied sciences or not, its still the easy shit you're ALSO expected to do.

Yes, you won't necessarily emerge as a living repository of low-level ASM performance hacks or Java EE enterprise programming patterns, but you WILL be able to program.
>>
>>61007415
It is possible to study theory without practice. CS has a lot of math and proofs involved for discovering effective algorithms.
>>
>>61005837
dude what the fuck were you doing for 6 years?
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.