[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Windows 10 capable of automatically detecting when it is running

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

Is Windows 10 capable of automatically detecting when it is running inside a VM? If yes, can it break out of the VM and snoop on your host?
>>
>>61004493
botnet
>>
watch out if you have network shares
>>
>>61004493
Dumb fuck.
>>
>>61004532
Is this something you can mitigate via network settings in VM-Ware for example?
>>
>>61004493
1 yes
2 no
>>
>>61004493
Yes, it breaks out from VM and installs itself on all your capable devices.
>>
>>61004553
>>61004553
How so? It's a perfectly reasonable question..

I want to use win 10 inside vm-ware, on a linux host, for muh games.
>>
>>61004591
then use 7 you stupid fucking retard
>>
>>61004703
but win10 is easier since it's free and more up-to-date etc.

besides, why does it matter if windows 10 is unable to break out of the VM and botnet your host?

can you please give some constructive advice ;_;
>>
>>61004756
A lot of games have issues with 10. D12 is the only reason to use Win10.
>>
>>61004767
Like what, for example?
>>
>>61004767
I see. So they aren't going to backport dx12 to win 7 and 8?

Well in that case, how am I supposed to get win7 for free without having issues with online play etc.? I'm too poor to buy it. :(
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-06-15-08-19-32.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-06-15-08-19-32.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
>>61004582
>automatically installs itsself on your devices
>charges you for licensing fees
>>
>>61004493
It can break out and install itself into your mom
>>
>>61004591
Holy fuck you're dumb
>>
File: 6d0.jpg (44KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
6d0.jpg
44KB, 800x450px
>>61005143
why, because no one has demonstrated how running win 10 inside a correctly setup VM can compromise security and privacy?
>>
>>61004493
not unless the host is also windows
and you use microsoft edge
and haven't updated
and also it wouldn't be microsoft doing the snooping
it would be a person using a known vuln for vm escape with windows 10 and edge browser
>>
It can detect it, yes, and no, it cannot break out without significant effort and a lucky situation. Have you ever like considered reading about hypervisors?
>>
>>61004493
Yea, it becomes self aware, Cortana to be exact takes over. Be careful.
>>
>>61005294
>>61005294
and how do you know that the goys over and microdicks haven't made some sweet features for windows to be VM-aware and use in-house/paid-for exploits to detect which host OS is running, break out of the VM, install&run rootkit and botnet your shit?

If a halfwit autist like me can think of it, I'm sure their think tanks have.

>>61005315
what, like that joke xen?
>>
>>61005460
*to detect what the host OS is
>>
>>61005460
Take your pills and go outside, you pale bastard.
>>
https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/03/hack-that-escapes-vm-by-exploiting-edge-browser-fetches-105000-at-pwn2own/
>>
>>61004493
No microsoft spy on their users but they aren't evil enough to try and install a rootkit on your gentoo installation or whatever. You're are only going to get malware that sophisticated from the NSA.
>>
>>61004493
I replied to you in the other thread
>>
If you're using something that has no intention of hiding the fact that it's running a VM (i.e Virtualbox or VMware), then all it has to do is check the hardware IDs the virtualization software feeds it (which it probably does while looking for drivers anyway) to notice that they're registered for use in Virtualbox and VMware respectively.
Just try running lspci in a Linux VM.
>>
>>61004493
If you are worried, disable hardware virtualization in the bios, dont install the vm drivers (vm additions etc), and read up on the bluepill (i think its called) exploit. The drivers just increase the risk of breakout if an exploit exists.
>>
>>61004591
 virt-manager 
is what you want to use
>>
It is not difficult to detect that you're in a VM. Seriously, you're running on virtual hardware that's all labelled 'THIS IS A VM HARDWARE, THANKS'.
OSes have to detect they're in a VM just to get drivers working properly.

Now, breaking out of the VM and snooping on the host... not fucking likely. VM breakout is EXTREMELY difficult. It's something that you'd only be able to do with some extremely rare and hard to find zeroday. And the NSA probably doesn't even have any, since VM security code is extremely heavily audited.
>>
File: 0343256239.jpg (7KB, 250x243px) Image search: [Google]
0343256239.jpg
7KB, 250x243px
>>61004493
>Is Windows 10 capable of automatically detecting when it is running inside a VM?
Yes.
>If yes, can it break out of the VM and snoop on your host?
It's certainly possible, and it has been done by hackers as a proof of concept thing using the Edge browser. I don't think that Microsoft would be dumb enough to build in functions that allow it to escape VMs, but their bullshit never ceases to surprise me. I'd highly recommend using LTSB in QEMU/KVM on a GNU/Linux host.
>>
>>61006488
I didn't think ms put ext4 fs functionality inside, so they can't read or write Linux stuff.
>>
>>61004493
1. Yes, it is.
2. Nobody outside the Microsoft executive ranks can tell you for sure.
>>
>>61006582
It's closed source and bloated as fuck, so there's always that possibility. If it's not there now, it could be brought in with a future update.
>>
>>61004493
Vista and newer knwos when it is running insidew a VM. Maybe even XP, but not sure. I know Vista can detect that.
>>
>>61004779
No idea, I don't have Win10, I just see a lot of "how to get GAEM to work on Win10" type threads whenever I check the Steam forums for a game.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.