[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /g/. I'm planing to produce some kits to make it easier

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Untitled.jpg (218KB, 1106x758px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
218KB, 1106x758px
Hi /g/. I'm planing to produce some kits to make it easier for people to get into analog video synthesizers, but I can't decide between Composite or VGA input/output. What do you think the best option is? VGA is much easier but a dying format.

A video synthesizer is similar to an audio synthesizer, but you're generating or distorting a video signal. It can be a lot of fun and a good way to get into electronics.

The kits wouldn't come with a tv/monitor or a video source, so it's important I pick the format more people have equipment for and want to work with.
>>
Why not both? It sounds like you will be using FPGAs, so there should not be a cost/pin problem.

It's been a long time since I last saw composite video being used in a serious manner, but VGA is still popular with consumer grade projectors.
>>
File: example.jpg (375KB, 1872x1984px) Image search: [Google]
example.jpg
375KB, 1872x1984px
>>61001507
I wasn't planning to use an FPGA since I wanted to keep cost down and it would somewhat defeat the purpose of the project to run the signal into an ADC and convert it to different formats with digital logic. One of the coolest things about analog video synths is you don't really have pixels because you're applying a continuous signal instead of reading discrete values from memory.

It would cost more to have both inputs/outputs, but the main issue is I want to provide an instruction booklet of example circuits, and those aren't going to behave the same way with the two systems.

For reference this is a VGA synth project I did a few years ago that people keep asking me to build for them.
>>
>>61001397
Both CRAP!
Use SCART!
Its same as VGA as RGB but unlike a VGA port, all tellies have a SCART port
>>
>>61002015
>all tellies have a SCART port
Only in Europe. It never really caught on elsewhere.
>>
YCbCr.
or SDI.

>>61002015
you must be autistic, SCART mangles video signals even more than a composite cable that isn't 75 ohms. Not to mention nobody in burgerland uses it.
>>
>>61001397
What is your audience going to have easier access to?
>>
>>61002069
How does it?
It supports more or less any format over it.
RGB-S-Video-Composite etc

Just give the box a composite out and 5 BNC for RGB/HVscan
>>
>>61002326
The cables are generally not in spec because of the funky ass connector. The only way to transfer analog video with best results is over a 75ohm line, impossible with a SCART connector

Agreed, BNC is the answer
>>
>>61002374
I see your point.
BNC it is!
>>
>>61001397
Hdmi teach them the future anon
>>
>>61001397
>so it's important I pick the format more people have equipment for and want to work with.
none of the tvs i've had since 2010 have had, so VGA
or you could pretend it's 2017 and use HDMI
>>
>>61002428
>>61002445
HDMI is consumer grade trash
>>
>>61002523
DisplayPort ;^)
>>
>>61002536
Better, still capable of DRM shit though so not completely halal
>>
>>61002523
>it's important I pick the format more people have equipment for and want to work with.
>>
>>61002579
HDMI will die before Composite, VGA, YCbCr and SDI I guarantee it.
>>
>>61002523
>>61002536
>>61002428
It's an analog video synthesiser though. Outputting in a digital format like HDMI is kind of defeating the purpose and will add a lot of cost to the kit to do the conversion.
>>
>>61002607
Its everywhere
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.