[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to start a new web forum. >inb4 dead format I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: icon-mybb.png (7KB, 360x120px) Image search: [Google]
icon-mybb.png
7KB, 360x120px
I want to start a new web forum.
>inb4 dead format

I've been grandfathered in to forum hosting before, but I've never built one from the ground up.

What are good forum programs?
Good hosts?
Maybe even free hosts to start with that will let me migrate to a proper host in the future?

What are good forums to use as an inspiration of sorts?
>>
PhpBB
>>
>>60999056
FluxBB is best bb
>>
>>60999097
>PhpBB
Bloated and full of security holes.

>>60999116
>FluxBB
Not bad.

PunBB is the best.

>>60999056
It's not that hard to write your own forum in php. The simpler it is the more secure it is.
>>
>>60999056
ipboard and vbulletin
>>
I'm noticing no mention of MyBB despite it being in the OP.

Is there a reason for this? Should I be avoiding MyBB as a consideration altogether? Or is it just being left out because it's assumed I already know about it?
>>
Why not an imageboard?

Fuck registration.
>>
>>60999338
An imageboard is a nice idea but it doesn't quite fit what I plan on using my website for.

It's going to be a somewhat small forum meant for simply discussing current events, contributing to projects such as small indie games, stories and art. I also plan on hosting a few events that I personally prefer doing on a forum. General forum games/events.

I wholly support imageboards but I do not consider them a catch-all medium for communities.

Funny enough though, I do plan on having a small, single-board imageboard on the side to replace the "general" boards, rather than having a containment forum for shitposts and the like.
>>
>>60999056
uh i used mybb to run a raiding forum at one point
yeah that's about it
anyone want a storytime?
>>
>>60999409
save the blog posts for your board
>>
If you don't know programming/appsec/system administration well enough to build everything (infrastructure, software, etc.) from ground up, don't bother. You will either get hacked/DDoSed, or fail to garner a community if you use a boring, run of the mill stock forum software.

>>60999306
MyBB is ancient, barely maintained, and have a bad track record with vulnerabilities. Hackforums uses it but afaik they forked 1.6 and pretty much rewrote 80% of the codebase.
>>
>>60999463
i was literally answering a question somebody asked

i didnt know answering questions was blogging.

>>60999488
Wow ok. I didn't know MyBB was so ill maintained. thanks for the word
>>
Write your own, it's the only way to be secure.
>>
>>60999409
You need to have a better niche. Out of the things you listed only indie game development is even remotely feasible.

Also why a forum? If all you want to do is talk to like minded people you're better off joining an IRC/discord channel or a relevant subreddit. I own a forum getting 10M hits a month, and I can assure you that vB-like forums are a dead medium in >current year. If anything sites like reddit/4chan/disqus that offer ephemeral and semi-anonymous discussion are on the rise.
>>
>>60999277
vBulletin is a meme since they got bought by Internet Brands. I still wonder how they're still making money.
>>
File: gcqjls.png (9KB, 325x129px) Image search: [Google]
gcqjls.png
9KB, 325x129px
>>61000037
called it.

Serious answer tho, I already have a discord community. This is something we've been discussing for a while now. I'm not looking for something huge, just something for us.
>>
>>61000037
facebook groups and subreddits pretty much wiped out the message board
>>
>>60999056
What about SMF? I always liked it.
>>
>>61000544
You could always make a
>subreddit
if you just want a persistent messaging board.

Though as far as hosting your own forum goes, stay far away from free hosts. None of them are good, and most will try to force ads onto your users.
The best host is going to be a VPS that you set up yourself. Digitalocean has a lot of good and easy to follow guides for most setup. They also happen to be a very solid, though rather expensive, provider.

If setting up a server yourself is too much, and you're sure that all you want is to host a simple forum, shared hosting works fine just as well, and tends to be cheaper, though these services might also have a more restrictive ToS wanting to restrict the type of content you're allowed to host with them.
As far as shared hosting goes, I've personally had decent experiences with servage.net. They're quite reliable, though their customer support can be varying degrees of incompetent and difficult to talk to when you need them.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.