[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey I'm new to /g/ so I apologize if this is a dumb thread.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: b_1_q_0_p_0[1].png (80KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
b_1_q_0_p_0[1].png
80KB, 1600x1600px
Hey I'm new to /g/ so I apologize if this is a dumb thread. I've always had an interest in computers but never took it to the next level to learn programming or Linux or anything like that.
Anyway, what would be a good Linux distro for somebody to start with to learn how to use Linux? I've heard Ubuntu is good for noobs but is it too easy? I'd like to actually learn as I'm using Linux so I can get proficient with it. Would Mint be good for this purpose?
>>
>>60997739
fedora is nice. ubuntu has its flaws but it's not *that* bad for beginners.
use the stupid questions thread for this kind of stuff next time
>>
If you're too dumb to read the sticky on top of the fucking page I'm terribly sorry, you won't have a good time with GNU/LInux.
>>
>>60997739
Install gentoo
>>
>>60997773
>use the stupid questions thread for this kind of stuff next time
Yeah, I figured I would have made a mistake like this. Sorry about that.
>>60997774
>If you're too dumb to read the sticky on top of the fucking page I'm terribly sorry, you won't have a good time with GNU/LInux.
Again, my bad. Will do.
>>60997777
This is a joke, yeah?
>>
>>60997813
That is a joke, yeah. That's stereotypical shitposting on /g/, usually in response to threads like this.
>>
Arch, without a doubt. This is the distro for the true patrician who wants to learn everything about how Linux works.
>>
>>60997777
check'd
>>
>>60997739
Having to "learn" linux is a meme. Installing and using a mainstream distro is no more hard than windows.
>>
>>60997869
That said, OP should keep Gentoo in mind for the future. Short of LFS, it's probably the most challenging and educational distro to set up.

Don't be too afraid of "difficult" distros, OP. The truth is they are usually not so much difficult as time-consuming, and you'll just have to google and read the wiki a lot, not to mention interact with a terminal window.

Also, I'll back >>60997956
>>
>>60997739
Gentoo is great. Try Gentoo. You'll love it. At least try it.
>>
>>60997739
>learn programming or Linux or anything like that.
those two aren't really the same thing. If by "learn Linux" you mean learn how to use an operating system with a Linux kernel, it's very easy. Imagine learning to use Windows for the first time again. It's not much different. You're not going to be some elite hacker or whatever image you have in mind just for using a Linux distro.
>>
>>60997739
Debian my man. Lot's of distros have debian at their heart, I consider it no frills for people who want to get shit done and not for ricing.
>>
>>60997739
OpenSUSE with KDE.
>>
Manjaro is easy to install, fast and easy to use but leaves room to learn general Linux skills and will set you up to install arch on the future to learn more about Linux.
From my point of view, though, if you want to program use Windows. People here will (rightly so) give you shit about MUH PRIVACY and BLOATWARE but it's much easier to learn to program on Windows because the IDEs are easier to understand and have more features.
That's my two cents.
>>
File: c5OLi19.jpg (265KB, 1304x1665px) Image search: [Google]
c5OLi19.jpg
265KB, 1304x1665px
>>60997739
Mint and Ubuntu are garbage. Use either Debian or Fedora with XFCE. Both systems will just work and be stable while allowing you to tinker if you want.
>>
>>60997739
try an arch installation. Its not super easy but you'll learn a bit and its not hard if you can read the wiki. (parabola.nu wiki still has the beginners guide arch took the beginners guide down)
>>
File: toothpaste-aisle-chaos-580x358.jpg (91KB, 580x358px) Image search: [Google]
toothpaste-aisle-chaos-580x358.jpg
91KB, 580x358px
>>60997739
You are probably getting alot of opposing opinion in this thread but I am gonna say ubuntu and I have some pretty sound logic for it.

Ubuntu is notoriously the easiest linux distro. How could you mess up by choosing an easier distro over a harder one? Literally it makes no sense to make things harder on yourself your first try. If you find out you don't like ubunutu you can just switch.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.