[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My Desktop is still running with an Athlon II X4 620. Most games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 03.jpg (31KB, 600x439px) Image search: [Google]
03.jpg
31KB, 600x439px
My Desktop is still running with an Athlon II X4 620. Most games still run, at least I played Fallout 4 until I got bored of it. I was the 100 Bucks, cheapest quad-core when it came out. I don't use it much and it off most of the time. Most of the time I'm using my Thinkpad T60 which is still only a 32-Bit Dual-Core CPU. For compiling code I usually use an Thinkpad T400 which has a 64-Bit Dual-Core CPU. For some downloading or tasks that don't require a lot attention, I use an old (older than those Thinkpads) Acer Aspire with AMD dual-core.

Honestly, I already feel kinda overpowered and just can't understand the hype on new Hardware. The botnet is bad enough to prevent one from buying new shit but even ignoring that I still don't feel like buying anything.

Make a reasonable point why you need new Hardware and why can't it be some refurbished and cheaper older model. Hope you can shine some light on this matter because I kind of feel like sageing any "new hardware" threads because they're getting annoying.
>>
>>60997293
t. poorfag
>>
>>60997413
>good goy
>>
>>60997293
>Make a reasonable point why you need new Hardware and why can't it be some refurbished and cheaper older model.

You need separate computers just to perform normal tasks I'd do simultaneously on modern hardware.

Why have a special computer just for downloading things? Or a special code-compiling computer?
>>
>>60997293
Newer CPUs are a meme unless you have some actual productivity work to do with your machine. I'm still using a 2600K and see literally no reason to upgrade.
>>
>>60997293
You don't need new CPUs. If you look at userbenchmarks, my FX8320 from 2013 gets 60% perfomance rating (i.e. 60% of the current top, 7700k), while my GPU from 2013, HD7750 gets 13% of the current mid-high end card, GTX1070. And with Intel's Sandy Bridge from 2011 it's even worse.
>>
>>60997577
>why seperate tasks
Single point of failure is the first thing that comes to mind. I can keep things cleaner, as the computer that I surf the internet with is usually more cluttered with stuff I simply don't want on a machine I compile code with. The downloading computer is mainly because it's still working and it's more convinient to hook external harddisks on.

I can wipe the surfing computer any time and it doesn't affect any of the other computers.
>>
>>60997814
Idk man I'd rather have 1 new single point of failure that's unlikely to have problems for the next 7 years than 5 possible points of failure that are all likely to die in ~1 year or so
>>
>>60997293
You bought that CPU new years ago for $100 and it's lasted you many years. That's a good deal. Buying the same CPU used today for $20 costs less, but will have a much shorter useful lifespan. That's a poor deal.
>>
>>61000084
k, see you in a year then. I guess my hardware will still work fine like it already did for a decade. Maybe you will find an actual reason for buying new hardware then, other than "estimated lifetime".
>>
>>61000138
like I said, I don't use it that much. The computers I more use are quite a bit older and work fine.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.