[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why isn't SSHD more popular? I have a 1tb SSHD in my laptop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: sshd[1].jpg (73KB, 1200x600px) Image search: [Google]
sshd[1].jpg
73KB, 1200x600px
Why isn't SSHD more popular? I have a 1tb SSHD in my laptop and the performance is not bad at all. A 1tb SSD costs half of what my laptop cost when I bought it.
>>
You will have a HDD which laptop will have to spend extra power to spin so less battery life.
>>
My guess is that for majority of people SSD+HDD combo is better and SSHD is kind of niche.
I have SSHD and can't complaing.
>>
>>60988795
Drawbacks of both without the benefits of either, basically.

You're still dealing with spinning platters. You can't drop the thing and you get shit latency/IOPS from them. You pay more than you do for a vanilla HDD. You have the SSD cache that ameliorates some of that, but in a way you can't control. The drive decides what's cached, you can't tell it "keep this program in flash so that it starts fast" or anything. It might be fast or slow, depending on when you used it, the drive's algorithms, and the phase of the moon. And you're going to run into that because the cache is only a moderate number of GB, to keep the cost down below a pure SSD.

Pick a lane. Either the speed of an SSD is worth the penalty in cost per GB, or it isn't. There's no sense in trying to split the difference.
>>
>>60988795
they are shit, i have one qtb 8gb ssd, unless you have their premium software and if they support your model you will gain "performance", else is shit
>>
>>60988795
Tiny SSD capacity.
>>
>>60988795
Because it's only useful if you have some shit laptop that's huge enough to have 2.5 bay but has no m.2 / msata and need 1TB+ storage there.

>>60988880
The fuck are you talking about? Seagate sshd caching is absolutely transparent.
>>
>>60988795
Because you can't control what gets stored on the SSD part. It's better to just get an SSD and HDD separate.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.