[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you could choose, would you go Java or C#? What can Java

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 10

File: 2p4i.png (34KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
2p4i.png
34KB, 375x375px
If you could choose, would you go Java or C#?

What can Java do that C# can't?
What can C# do that Java can't, aside from games?
What's more future-proof?
Both can now run on all major systems so that doesn't bother me.

What's more comfy in the long run? I know Java fairly well, and after a few Unity scripts Visual Studio feels a lot more comfy, but I haven't used the language that much to feel out the difference.
>>
>What can C# do that Java can't
be allowed to be executed on a power user's machine
>>
>>60971134
java is deprecated idiot
>>
>What can Java do that C# can't?
have vaster ecosystem, have better support on all major platforms

>What can C# do that Java can't, aside from games?
have some non-essential features that Java doesn't

>What's more future-proof?
Java

>What's more comfy in the long run?
Java, because it beats C# in nearly every category when it comes to developing on a non-shit operating systems. It also can be supplemented by other big JVM languages like Kotlin, Scala and Clojure.
>>
>>60971240
/Thread
>>
they're both shit who cares
>>
>>60971602
people with a job
>>
>>60971602
>>60971609
fckin rekt autist
>>
What do you think about cotlin?
>>
>>60974652
>cotlin
What do you think about cblusblus?
>>
File: 1494536134891.jpg (144KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1494536134891.jpg
144KB, 720x720px
>>60971134
>What can Java do that C# can't?
Get you job if you're pajeet
>>
File: aspdotpajeet.jpg (114KB, 1000x525px) Image search: [Google]
aspdotpajeet.jpg
114KB, 1000x525px
>>60974707
kek
>>
>>60974652
Null pointers were not the most pressing issue with Java. Kotlin seems to think they were and designed the whole language around that.
>>
I'm glad I've chosen C# as my main "production" language 4 years ago because currently I program only at work in C# and Visual Studio on a beast machine with SSD is comfy as fuck.
>>
>>60975372
>broken English
raj patel detected
>>
>>60975372
Gotta agree with that
>>
Neither because the wages for both languages suck around here. MemeScript brings in better gigs and better pay.
>>
>>60971134

Java

please don't suck M$'s dick
>>
>>60971134
Developer in C# and Java here.

I learned C# first and learned Java second. I find that C# is a much faster and more polished experience than Java. However, C# programs are not as easily ported to operating system other than Windows. Some C# projects can be ported to macOS and Linux via Mono but you would have to download and install the Mono runtime environment. You could also port some C# projects with the officially .NET CORE framework that is being offered by Microsoft. Microsoft probably doesn't like Mono.

Java is VERY portable to other operating systems. Of course, you would have to install the Java runtime environment if you don't already have it.

Notoriously Java is considered slow: this is because the compiler design for Java has not always been stellar. It is also because of Java's confused relationship with garbage collection. Garbage collection works better in C#.

When it comes to popularity, Java is significantly more popular than C#. This is because Java predates C# by many years.

>>60971175
This is not true.

Java, like C#, can be supplemented with other programming languages. In this case, it is something like Scala (which I personally have never used).

C# can be supplemented with functionalist F# but I personally have never seen a reason to learn F# and have not.

C# is better than Java for web development. This isn't particularly surprising considering how Java Applets (which had been competitors with ActiveX objects) are being abandoned. C# has the ASP.NET family. That includes WebForms, MVC, Razor v3 and the .NET Core Web App shit.

From what I have seen, C# does not seem to have a printf function. C# supplements this with an equivalent bunch of functions but it makes you sad and depressed if you are used to printf.

C#, unlike java, has Properties. This helps illustrate the many computer science advancements that C# has over Java.

>>60975438
Strange sentiment.
>>
File: 1497889902527.jpg (786KB, 852x2099px) Image search: [Google]
1497889902527.jpg
786KB, 852x2099px
>>60971134
>>
Java because Kotlin.
>>
>>60975625
Kotlin Native doesn't need JVM
>>
>>60975653
>kotlin native
What libraries are even supported on kotlin native? Do you at least get C library support or?
>>
>>60975714
Rome wasn't built in a day
>>
>>60975558
>Microsoft probably doesn't like Mono.
Microsoft owns Mono

>Notoriously Java is considered slow: this is because the compiler design for Java has not always been stellar. It is also because of Java's confused relationship with garbage collection. Garbage collection works better in C#.
Java is considered slow because of a meme popular among 14-year-old Minecraft players.
http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/compare.php?lang=java&lang2=csharpcore

>C# is better than Java for web development. This isn't particularly surprising considering how Java Applets (which had been competitors with ActiveX objects) are being abandoned.
Applets have nothing to do with this. Spring and JEE are still being used for web development by pretty much every big company that has anything to do with the web. More so than ASP.NET.

>C#, unlike java, has Properties. This helps illustrate the many computer science advancements that C# has over Java.
Syntax sugar is far from a "computer science advancement". You can easily have properties in Java with Project Lombok. Then there are Kotlin and Scala which are superior to C# as languages.
>>
File: 1492127342874.png (28KB, 470x241px) Image search: [Google]
1492127342874.png
28KB, 470x241px
>>60971134
Both are mediocre languages.
>>
>>60975372
can you get me a job as a recent cs grad with c#
>>
>>60976380
pajeet confirmed
>>
>>60974707
Nothing on earth is more Pajeet than Microsoft products. Microsoft is even in talks to move their headquarters from Seattle to Bangalore.
>>
>>60976407
all white here homie
>>
>>60975372
> Windows
> comfy as fuck

Fuck off Rajeed.
>>
File: 1497823928537.png (174KB, 962x543px) Image search: [Google]
1497823928537.png
174KB, 962x543px
>>60976416
Rakesh pls
>>
>>60975558
You seem to know jack shit about the Java platform as a whole. Your speed, garbage collection, and especially your web development comments are worthy of cringe. Comparing Applets to ASP.NET? Nigger are you fucking serious? If you're a Java "developer", I don't know what the you've been developing.
>>
>>60975558
>Notoriously Java is considered slow
Java is objectively faster than C#
>>
>>60976309
>>60976591
>>60976606
>>60975438
>>60971240

see:
>>60975623
and APOLOGIZE
>>
>>60971134
Java has isProbablePrime(), C# doesn't and never will.
>>
>>60971134
>What's more comfy in the long run?
F#. And unlike Scala, it won't drive you mad when you glance too deeply inside.
>>
>>60977980
I was responding to the points that retard made about the Java platform itself, not that C# was inferior to it. Java and C# occupy the same realm for the most part and critically comparing the two is an autistic venture to being with.
>>
File: lada vs zaporozhet.jpg (82KB, 882x263px) Image search: [Google]
lada vs zaporozhet.jpg
82KB, 882x263px
>>60971134
There's is no real winner between these two.
>>
>>60977980
the java platform has languages with most of these features if you need them
>>
>>60978540
You're gotta be kidding me. The Lada is a clear, obvious winner. If nothing else, it won't damage your hearing.
>>
>>60971134
Neither, not a propcuck,
You see anon, the point of java is to hide source
code distribution not allow portability.
Ports trees give portability and almost never are
the packages written in java.

Though if I had to choose it would be java as c# is the mutilated micro$oft bastard as what is the point of a "portable" language that works on one system?
>>
C# >Java now that Microsoft brought net core and its open source.

C# will only get better to learn over time, as people transition.
>>
>>60979815
>one system
Now you can run c# on linux, mac, ios, android; with windows users not having to install anything extra.

And more c# may begin to port over to linux as well due to this.
>>
C/C++
>>
>>60979889
why would anyone transition from the java platform to .net? the only transition I can see is from java to kotlin within the java platform, but then still I think most of the companies are going to stick with java for now
>>
>>60979939
Java sucks balls
>>
>>60979939
New projects will be done more and more with c#, combined with c/c++ as needed.

You're right existing work thats java may likely remain that way for a long while, but thats with most things.
>>
>>60971134
Erlang.
>>
File: javacsharptopbrands.jpg (513KB, 1291x3600px) Image search: [Google]
javacsharptopbrands.jpg
513KB, 1291x3600px
rip in peace
>>
>>60980652
I guarantee you though more people know java and not c# than the other way around, so while there are half the c# jobs, the competition is also less robust.
>>
>>60979889
>>60980078
>the .NET Core meme
Mono has been around for ages and it hasn't enticed legions of open-source developers to abandon their usual tech stacks for it, so what makes this shit any different?
>>
>>60981333
Mono never worked as well, and now Microsoft also has Xamarin.
>>
>>60981452
99.9% of .NET libraries don't work on .NET core and so far there's been no sign that that's going to change. The average .NET library developer doesn't care about any platform other than Windows and everyone else doesn't care about Windows or .NET.

Using Windows is a death sentence at most respectable software companies and most of the best companies (Google, Facebook, Amazon, Space X, Tesla, Apple etc.) don't even allow their developers to use Windows. Paul Graham, Sam Altman and Andreessen Horowitz have even publicly stated that they are extremely skeptical of software developers that still use Windows and they are hesitant to invest in them.

Windows and .NET are dying platforms being kept alive by business drones and Pajeets.
>>
>>60971134
C# is still largely a Microsoft Windows toy language, mostly used for its desktop software and in close conjunction with MS software stacks.

Java, on the other hand, runs the world's servers (which are increasingly just more and more Linux) and Android, apart from a lot of random things.

And .NET vs the JVM is also the JVM hands down. Apart from the same reason again, the JVM also has generally the better lineup of compatible languages.
>>
>>60981452
> and now Microsoft also has Xamarin
Xamarin Studio doesn't even run on Linux and they repeatedly stated they CBA to make it work.

Meanwhile Java and basically every JVM language have many IDE that are running on Linux.
>>
C# is easier to use. I tihnk you become a better programmer with Java though
>>
>>60971134
Java, but there are a few things that I wish Java had like value types and generics without type erasure (which will come eventually with project valhalla)
>>60974652
watered down Scala
>>60975849
>Rome wasn't built in a day
LOL
scala-native master race
>>
C#, xamarin and asp.net are great now
>>
>>60980790
I thought Ruby was way more popular...
>>
>>60971134
Java is far more portable
>>
>>60971134
Kotlin
>>
>>60983615
>watered down Scala
Scala is an educational exercise They throw in every cutting edge language feature they can to the detriment of productivity.
>>
File: 1490641392047.jpg (222KB, 914x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1490641392047.jpg
222KB, 914x1200px
>>60971134
I am learning C# and I think I know everything I need to start making stuff (classes, objects, methods, paramters,etc) but I don't know HOW to apply my understanding of the language.

Can anyone direct me where to learn good program creating? I have VS but I don't know how to, say, create or load files (datastreams?) or how to design an interface. If you asked me to write a nested for loop that sorts through each array element or anything with classes or methods I can freehand that.

Please help me /g/ I've been doing the long grind and I wanna make money eventually
>>
>>60984815
a valid criticism. scala is very feature-rich, to a point where it can seem bloated and overcomplicated

with that said though those features can also come in handy, especially when writing DSL's (macros, implicits, etc.)
>>
>>60971134

>GC.SuppressFinalize()

Call me when Java can do this, I'm sticking with C# until then.
>>
>>60984917
Are you working with WinForms or WPF?

In any case, avoid putting program specific code into the UI code.

Create concise programs that could be taken out and used in a command line project.

As an example if you were to try to make a program which manages downloads you would have the DownloadManager class. When the UI loads it can create an instance of the DownloadManager class globally so that it's members can access it.

When the user would press a download button you can call DownloadManager's methods to perform work. This keeps your code from becoming too interconnected and impossible to maintain and scale.
In OOP this concept is called low coupling and I feel it is really important to get it early.
private void Download_OnClick(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e) {
// I am allowing the DataManager to handle validating the file etc.
// The UI's job is to invoke appropriate code in response to user interactions
_dataManager.Download( LinkTextBox.Text );
}

Apart from that just pick a project you feel you could complete and try to work on it. If you have questions like how to open a file you should google it and you will find out that 100s of people have had the same question as you on StackOverflow.
>>
>>60983615
About type ensure, you can just use like > List elements = new ArrayList<>();
and job done, you can now supply any type of objects into list, bytecode will be same. Generics are just used ensure the type at compile time.

how ever this is bad design rather make generic extend interface or abstract class
>>
>>60984997
GC.disabe
Call me when C# can do this. I'll stick to D until then.
>>
>>60975558
>Printf
You mean Console.Write() / Console.WriteLine()??
>>
>>60981333

What did you expect when Mono was a second class re implementation of .NET made by a third party company?

>being this retarded
>>
>>60985935
>re-implementation
What's your point? Almost everything in Java land is a third party implementation of a standard set forth by Oracle.
>second class
The Mono CLR is a full CLR implementation just as the .NET CLR is.
The .NET "Core" CLR is NOT a full implementation, and you CANNOT run all traditional libraries on it as you can with regular .NET. It's you who's the retard.
>>
Swift

Those are shitheel languages for pajeet
>>
>>60987328
But some white guy has to be around to fix Pajeet's code, so they're worth learning.
>>
>>60985935
>hur dur only muh microsoft owns .net so only muh microsoft can create a decent .net implementation
there are like 20 implementations of java runtime environment and they're not shit like mono
>>
>>60971134

If you had to gouge your own eyes out, would you use flaming chopsticks or red hot knitting needles?
>>
>>60985900
>no GC at all
Call me when D can do this. I'll stick to Rust until then.
>>
>>60987328
Hi, IBM.
>>
>>60980790
>languages
>iOS
ok
>>
>>60987328
Swift is literally the perfect modern C
>>
>>60988422
Swift isn't competing with C. It competes with Go, D, OCaml and other natively compiled languages with automatic memory management.
>>
>>60988347
>Call me when D can do this.
dmd maind -nogc
Done.

I love Rust though. It's just no as ergonomic
>>
>>60988446
lol wtf D would competw and easily beat C#, Go and OCaml are in the same tier. No one knows about swift because it's basically a vendor lock in language.
>>
>>60988482
>>60988492
I'm very drunk
>>
>>60975623
Most of these don't matter. Some of those are worse in C#/.Net
>>
C# obviously, its just more enjoyable to type in, nowhere near as many as factory beans
>>
>>60975558
>C# is better than Java for web development
Real strong point on Java is web development,debugging,logging,tooling and enormous library since spring to vertx.io, massive multi core.
>>
>>60981791
>Paul Graham, Sam Altman and Andreessen Horowitz have even publicly stated that they are extremely skeptical of software developers that still use Windows and they are hesitant to invest in them.

Well pay .Net developer won't be on shitty start up meme.
>>
As far as pure syntax goes, C# is probably one of the best languages ever.
>>
>>60990111
They also won't be doing anything other than boring CRUD business apps.
>>
>>60981791
>Paul Graham, Sam Altman and Andreessen Horowitz
Who cares what those faggots think, they didn't even archive anything remarkable on their own.
>>
>>60991299
All three of them have achieved more than anyone that has ever posted here.
>>
>>60991427
Nah, all of them has at best shitposted on their blogs and commited some fraud to gain venture money like Graham selling spaghetti code to Yahoo.
Similar to like the average /v/ rips off kids on steam.
So I'd say its pretty even.
>>
>>60971175
>Java, because it beats C# in nearly every category when it comes to developing on a non-shit operating systems. It also can be supplemented by other big JVM languages like Kotlin, Scala and Clojure.

Wait, you're telling me Java beats C# on operating systems C# isnt meant for?

HOLD THE FUCKING PRESSES WE HAVE A GENIUS HERE
>>
>>60991463
> wrote most of the original version of Amazon in Lisp
> author of On Lisp which is highly regarded by almost everyone
> started incredibly successful venture capitalist firm
> worth hundreds of millions of dollars

Rewriting FizzBuzz in obscure NEET languages and posting in endless consumerist trash threads is really comparable. I bet you're totally on his level.
>>
>>60990333
lol you wish
>>
>>60988482
>dmd maind -nogc
Say goodbye to your standard library. D without GC is a pathetic meme.
>>
>>60991579
> wrote most of the original version of Amazon in Lisp
Gee, I wonder why it was rewritten.
> author of On Lisp which is highly regarded by morons exclusively
ftfy
> started incredibly successful venture capitalist firm
so?
> worth hundreds of millions of dollars
by his own rating

>>60991579
>I bet you're totally on his level.
Well, I can write shitty website and toy languages, too, shitpost and embezzle money. So, yes.
>>
>>60975558
>C#, unlike java, has Properties. This helps illustrate the many computer science advancements that C# has over Java.
what are you talking about? which advancements?
Java introduced Properties and [two way]data-binding with JavaFX, with it also Observable collections and Callbacks.
>>
>>60971134
C# is a shitty windows only java, dont bother. Why would you want to use javas retarded step brother and be forced to use shitty wangblows stack and develop on and for only wangblows?
>>
>>60971134
C# is what I prefer
I don't get how people can call Java futureproof when modern browsers are removing support in favour of HTML5 and Javascript.

Java is a dying language my dude.
>>
>>60992238
>java
>browser
>javascript
>html5
Typical c# dev. Clueless.
>>
>>60991520
if C# isn't meant to be used on non-shit operating systems then it's useless

>>60992238
>I don't get how people can call Java futureproof when modern browsers are removing support in favour of HTML5 and Javascript.
you don't have a slightest clue what you're talking about. that's pretty embarassing
Thread posts: 103
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.