[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is programming fun as a job? It's fun as a hobby but is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1337471258263.jpg (129KB, 460x346px) Image search: [Google]
1337471258263.jpg
129KB, 460x346px
Is programming fun as a job? It's fun as a hobby but is it the same as a job?
>>
I make games for a living. I think it's pretty fun. But it's because I enjoy it and enjoy the company I work at.

It's just a small indie studio, so I kind of just do whatever needs to be done. No strict deadlines really, it's pretty chill.

The pay could he higher but I guess low pay is the price I pay to have 35 hour work weeks.
>>
>>60954833
What country do you live in? What programming language are you working with? What's your age / how much experience?
>>
>>60954859
Los Angeles, California. It's c#/unity. I'm 22, I've only been working for two years now. Only making $55k/year+some benefits.

I know I could apply and get accepted to a bigger company for a pay raise (I've gotten offers) but I'm banking on getting stock in this small studio ran by very intelligent guys.
>>
>>60954875
what studio
>>
>>60954913
Kill yourself Incorporated
>>
if you're doing it right, its kind of like playing with legos every day. If you're doing it wrong (or your lead is) it can be a total last minute stress fest nightmare. Keep changing jobs til you find the legos place.
>>
>>60954811
It depends.
>Is your workplace's codebase clean and intuitive, or is it a cancerous clusterfuck?
>Do you get to work on interesting things, or are you stuck fixing stupid-as-shit bugs or creating automation tests (that don't add any value, decrease productivity, and increase build/release time?)
>Are you architecting your code in a way that you have freedom to decide how things go, or are you forced to try to jam the "one size fits all" square peg into a round hole (either by technical limitation or useless "this is how we do things" senior mentality).
>Is the code documented, or is there literally no documentation anywhere and your only tools is to go bother someone or just read all the code yourself.
>Does your ide function inside your codebase or did those senior devs fuck it up with so much bullshit, the ide cannot or fails to load any useful information?
>Are your coworkers nice, fun, interesting, or laid back, or are they douchebags that eat alone and pretend to be frustrated so it looks like they are doing hard work?

I've had a lot of fun programming for a job. It's quite satisfying to create something that users love, then coming home with a cushy paycheck. I've also seen the other side that drains your spirit and love for programming. Those jobs aren't worth the pay.
>>
>>60954921
Sounds good.
>>
>>60954944
>are they douchebags that eat alone and pretend to be frustrated so it looks like they are doing hard work?
I'm doing the same all the time but it's because I'm a little bit autistic.
>>
>>60954959
>eating alone
A-okay, but don't expect me to know anything about you if we never talk outside of a work setting

>Pretending to do hard work by acting frustrated
Really annoying

>Being a douche to everyone
No, stop that.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.