[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

We used to have >Presto >Webkit >Blink >Gecko >Tridant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1496003188811.jpg (12KB, 251x242px) Image search: [Google]
1496003188811.jpg
12KB, 251x242px
We used to have
>Presto
>Webkit
>Blink
>Gecko
>Tridant

Now we only have
>Blink
>Tridant
>Gecko (Maybe one day servo, but it will replace not be in addition to)

We're racing back towards the IE6 monopoly days and nobody is saying anything.
>>
>>60954336
WebKit's still a thing.
>>
>>60954430
if you're a fag
>>
>>60954336
3 competitors is perfect. Anything more is wasting resources.
>>
>>60954336
Servo master race. Maximum GPU utilization of all the renderers.
>>
>>60954336
>Tridant

What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>60954778
Safari's not the only WebKit based browser. Ebin meme, by the way.
>>
>>60954430
>>60954826
WebKit is basically same thing as blink. When it comes to render output that is.
And WebKit/blink has like 80% of the marketshare, so yeah we're (almost) back to ie6 days. But instead of no innovation, were just going to see features added that are beneficial to Google and its domination of the web.

We need to go back. Gopher anyone?
>>
>>60954806
That's just dumb

>>60955332
>Gopher anyone?
I'm game
>>
We don't need 10 unique competitors for web browsers for fucks sake.

The more there are, the harder it is to make web applications which work flawlessly across all browsers. You need to write double the CSS to make shit work on all browsers, you need to write several javascript function because that one new engine doesn't support this or that function. Lets have competition in the smartphone market, lets have competition in the gpu and cpu market, lets have competition anywhere besides anything fucking web related, those 11% that still use some old ass Internet Explorer are annoying enough already, don't add even more shit dear god.
>>
>>60955824
>The more there are, the harder it is to make web applications which work flawlessly across all browsers
There are these things called standards. If you write your site to comply with them, you're good.
>>
>>60955841
Yes, but introducing new standarts takes ages as a result. If chromium for example adds a new css grid system, you won't be able to use it for several years till all major browsers have adopted it. If 99% used Chromium based browsers, introducing new stuff would take weeks at max and the web would develop much faster.
We don't need competition in the browser market.
>>
>>60955872
>waah stop making me have to do my job
>>
>>60955824
We need to stop making web "applications" and go back to good old native ones. Supposedly the cycle keeps going back between centralized (web, mainframe) and distributed (local desktop) but who knows.
>>
>>60955932
>We need to stop making web "applications"
Fucking this.
>>
>>60955942
>>60955841
Native applications limit cross platform compability.
>>
>>60954778
Gnome Browser is webkit
>>
>>60955872
>>Yes, but introducing new standarts takes ages as a result.
You say that like it's a bad thing. Slowing down the pace at which you web devs are able to implement newer, shittier things would be the biggest benefit.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.