[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/, I'm planning to start my Bachelors degree in Computer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: 1497706465789.png (94KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1497706465789.png
94KB, 512x512px
Hey /g/, I'm planning to start my Bachelors degree in Computer Science next year but I can't decide what college to go.

>University that is top 100 in CS
>pricey as fuck

OR

>Community college that is very close to my parents house
>the college fee is really cheap

My question is, do company care if I graduate from a top college?
>>
>>60952575
depends on the unis. which top 100 cs uni did you get into? don't be a pussy about saying it no one is going to dox you
>>
>>60952575
Do the community college path, at least first.

Most people I attended university with (I did electrical engineering) took all their general classes and some engineering and CS classes at the local community college. Cheaper and usually the classes are more lax, at least for some cases.

I went all 5 years to university, only reason was because I went almost entirely free. If I could go back, I would have paid a little extra to go to the community college. The university I went to had a trash math and sciences depts., yet the engineering dept. was excellent. It would have made my life less stressful and I would've graduated early.

Jobs never really cared about where you go to school. They were more concerned what specialties and courses you chose in college more than anything. For instance, the EE program had courses and focus areas including VLSI, robotics, microwave tech, etc. That usually determines where you land your first job.
>>
College doesn't matter, only the networking you do
I dropped out of college years ago, now work at a fortune 500 making 100k+ thanks to people I met doing my own research and going to conferences
>>
>>60952717
this
>>
>>60952621

it's University of Maryland (College Park), which I think ranks pretty well.It's also close to my home though. Assuming you're working in the IT field, how common is community college grad in your office?
>>
File: 1497300113461.png (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1497300113461.png
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>60952681
Are you from Germany? I've heard a lot of German unis have quite bad rep for Computer Science but the opposite for engineering course
>>
>>60952889
lol I'm in the same boat as you senpai, except I've already decided on going to uni of rochester. heres my 2 cents: as much as people say it doesn't matter, having a good college is important. college is not only about the skills you learn but also the people you network with. meeting people in college who get you jobs later in life is not at all uncommon. you have to consider the risk. it's more money, so if you don't get the advantages of the better education/networking, you lose the extra money you pay. at the end of the day it is only what you make it. I visited maryland and thought it was a neat college but I hated the students there. just not my type of people. either way the choice is up to you.
>>
>>60952889

UMD is a good school. The best part might be that it's right in the middle of Federal Teat Wonderland. Lockheed, Tenable, BAE Systems, and a bunch more, let alone the 3-letters--NSA is just a few miles up the road. If you keep up your networking and GPA I think it'd be pretty easy to get a cushy job. Make sure you don't do anything that would prevent you from getting top secret clearance.
>>
>>60952950
nice seeing another anon in the boat

>having a good college is important. college is not only about the skills you learn but also the people you network with
This is the reason why I find university so advantage. There's so many NASA research center here in Maryland and if you knew the right person,then it would be easy path for you.

>I visited maryland and thought it was a neat college but I hated the students there. just not my type of people
haha It really depends on the which department they're. I find math and engineering students there are a little bit to nerdy. Maybe I can't judge the whole student but that is how I see.

What makes you choose UR? I've heard it's expensive tho
>>
go to CC to do the requirements for transferring into the Uni. that usually takes about two years, then you finish the other two years once you transfer.

don't know what your finances are like, but you should look into FAFSA/other forms of financial AID you don't have to pay back. i went to CC and a top tier Uni and never paid a dime out of pocket (i also lived with my parents).

i personally do think the uni you go to matters. it doesn't once you have experience, but it gives you a lot of opportunities through companies the Uni has connections to. you should be able to, going to a good Uni, to get an internship through the job fair at the school, and find full employment before you graduate. but that's on you to keep up your GPA, apply to internships, then apply for jobs before graduating.

lots of people i knew at Uni never even bothered to utilize half the resources of the school.
>>
>>60953013
thanks dude!
that is one of the reason that makes me think uni is worthwhile.

>Make sure you don't do anything that would prevent you from getting top secret clearance
I bet the clearance interview would ask why we spend too much time on /g/
>>
>>60953038
Everything about it seemed right. The day I got there on a visit I went into a coffee shop and two random med students just started a conversation with me and talked to me about the university. The weather for the tour was absolutely ass and there weren't too many people there so I actually got an individual tour, and everyone there seemed very friendly but dedicated to their work. It was a lovely mixture of dedication to studies and research as well as a healthy social life. The actual location is very nice aswell. Honestly it just rubbed me the right way, and they provided me classes that I thought were really interesting. I was very interested in specific courses (operating system design, compiler designer, cryptography, etc.) and UR provided them all and a bit more.
>>
>>60953038
>nasa
do NOT work for ffrdcs they pay shit
if you're going to work for the gov just work for a contractor
>>
>>60952916
Nope, here in the US. I went to a university that had a ton of funding for research since we had an Air Force base nearby.
>>
>>60953079
simple gesture of kindness surprisingly could make us feel so comfy.

>>60953094
really? I've always thought it's good pay and jobs are the demand for someone who work at ffrdcs is good. That is what I've heard tho

>>60953192
let me guess, it's University of Santa Monica,huh?
>>
File: 1497158405915.jpg (12KB, 382x301px) Image search: [Google]
1497158405915.jpg
12KB, 382x301px
>>60953075
Am also in the same boat as you anon, the uni is pricy as fuck. I'm going to be transferring over from community. I think it is the cheapest option while still having merit coming out of undergrad.
Are you from the north or south?
>>
>>60953075
nah mate just don't masturbate to kids, take any drugs other than weed, sell drugs, commit any violent crimes or really anything over a misdemeanor. also do some extra curricular and pick up a second language that's in demand.
>>
>>60952575
Are you fucking retarded? Go to community college, do your general education for cheap and then transfer to a 4 year university of your choice.
>>
lol all you dumbass community college nerds bout to get fucked when your college says "sorry those credits won't transfer you'll have to go an additional year haha" yeah get fucked poor niggers haha
>>
File: 7642839283.png (33KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
7642839283.png
33KB, 1280x853px
>>60952889
Marylandfag here, which CC would you be going to?

Also what is true about UMD and every school, is the core group of comp sci students that actually knows their shit, and then there is everyone else who doesn't. At the end of the day the school name will do a world of good for you but it doesn't mean shit if you don't put the effort in to do the extra work, hackathons, out of class projects, etc.
>>
>>60952889
Mate I heavily regret not going to University of Maryland Baltimore county. It would have had been cheaper than the school I went to and I would have had a dorm and I would have had been going to the third best computer science college in America instead of the 495th.
>>
>>60952681
I thought the picture was one of those political compass memes, took me a while to understand it.
>>
>>60953316

Even weed can be an issue. I would stop doing weed like, 1-2 years before you plan to apply for a cleared job.
>>
>>60953458
UMBC is pretty hit and miss for most people, not really the college experience that many are looking for
>>
>>60952717
I stopped going to conferences because they're filled with jobless college kids trying to get their resume to the top of the pile.
>>
>>60952916
German engineering fucking sucks.

You can look under the hood of a vehicle (or anything, for that matter) and know if Germans were involved. Lots of extraneous bullshit, super tight spaces around any serviceable parts, absolutely braindead design decisions, and the list goes on.

Seriously, fuck German "engineering."
>>
>>60953424
yo the umd hackathon was bad. Internet problems were so bad we had to leave the campus and work elsewhere.

Plus, the random prizes were more expensive than the actual prizes given out by the sponsors, that triggered me.
>>
>>60952575
>I'm planning to start my Bachelors degree in Computer Science next year

You're making a horrible mistake.

>thinks university and CC are the same

Never mind, you're in the right brainlet major.
>>
>>60952575
>I'm planning to start my Bachelors degree in Computer Science next year
Have you actually programmed before? If you haven't, go off right fucking now and build a piece of software. I have seen too many people enter Computer Science thinking "Oh it's just using a computer right?" only to discover they actually hate software development itself (or suck at it).
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.