[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why hasn't anyone developed a serious version of a programming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: Scratch_Pac_Man.png (531KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Scratch_Pac_Man.png
531KB, 1920x1080px
Why hasn't anyone developed a serious version of a programming language like scratch?

All you would need to do is drag and drop code in the right way, specifying variable would be the only required typing
>>
>>60944288
2lazy2type eh? You must be a windows user.

Anyway, CodeSpells is a good idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAZPkNdPmsE
>>
Because beyond a certain level of abstraction these things always turn back in to programming languages as we currently know them.
>>
>>60944288
Literally python.
>>
>>60944288
What the actual fuck am I looking at here, OP? It looks like programming for ADD/artists/autists.
>>
LabVIEW but you should probably stick to actual programming
>>
>>60944288
Look at that shit in your pic, it already resembles a normal programming language, only in drag and drop form.
Can you imagine how obtuse and unreadable it would look like for a more complex function?
People have tried "UML" languages where you just drag lines to make connections between different functions, but this becomes completely unreadable when you go past 10 lines of code in a text-based language.
>>
>>60944288
Pure Data / Max msp.

A Turing complete language where you literally only draw boxes and connect shit with lines.
>>
>>60944288
>drag and drop code
What is wrong with writing in brainfuck?
>>
>>60944363
Only correct answer.
>>
>>60944288
It's called stack overflow
>>
File: oriolx-tools1.png (62KB, 1156x824px) Image search: [Google]
oriolx-tools1.png
62KB, 1156x824px
>>60944288
Check out IEC 61131-3.
It is basically what you described and is used basically in every industrial control/PLC system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_61131-3
>>
>>60944568
It is literally meant to introduce grade school children to programming concepts
>>
>>60945142
Take that back you cunt, UML is gods own modelling language.
>>
Because it fucking sucks. Doing something complex is actually easier programming from text rather than dragging and dropping.
>>
>>60945718
>UML
>good
Pick one.
UML is the worst thing to shit on the development world.
It's the same fucking diagram a trillion times.
I think there is only 2 decent facets of it, sequence diagrams and FULL class modelling. Everything else is ENTERPRISE QUALITY bullshit that benefits nobody except made-up jobs to make ideasguys seem important.
>>
>>60947465
This, even the author of UML admitted it.
>>
>>60944288

they have.

i've seen drag an drop PLCs and there is one that compiles to arduino
>>
File: 3580-crane[1].png (190KB, 1097x537px) Image search: [Google]
3580-crane[1].png
190KB, 1097x537px
There already are visual languages, dummy.
>>
>>60944288

Dude remove the colors and its basically python lmao
>>
File: that's bait.gif (3MB, 300x252px) Image search: [Google]
that's bait.gif
3MB, 300x252px
>>60947735
>>
>>60944288
>What is Unity Playmaker?
>What is Unreal Engine 4 Blueprints?
>What is LabView?
>>
>>60944288
It's called LabVIEW and it fucking blows. Seriously, you never want to write that shit in your life. It has next to no redeeming qualities.
>>
Also, I've been using some shitty Automation app on Android, funnily enough just called Automate.*

A bunch of those shitty automation apps would count as visual programming languages.
This, IFTTT and other things.

Until they get to the point of being as flexible as shit in Star Trek, they are basically memes and for simple tasks.
I made one that enables auto-rotate only for specific apps, a special screen turn off mode for apps that don't allow screen-off.

* As a fun project, there is a 30 block limit on the free version PER script.
I saw this as a challenge and created a shitty random enemy encounter game where you collect weapons in 18 blocks.
You can make arrays, objects and the usual fun stuff. So some complex array fuckery, stacked inside an object, sorted.
Works through dialog prompts. (binary ones, not multi-choice)
Since I have plenty blocks left, I am going to extend it slightly and modify the dialog prompts to multi-choice. The multi-choice needs a little more to deal with the results because Automate fucking blows ass, but only like 3 per dialog probably.
I could likely use another array to hold all the dialog prompts then re-use the same blocks in loop, incrementing each iteration. In fact maybe objects, since I was going to add non-sequential gameplay to it.
Probably not worth it, the loop boilerplater blocks alone would probably be the same fucking size.
>>
File: 1494627398073.png (236KB, 808x805px) Image search: [Google]
1494627398073.png
236KB, 808x805px
>>60944288
That is disgusting
>>
>>60944288
Because if you wanted a serious language you'd be able to type faster than you could drag and drop shit. Only real exception is with stuff like GUI/database design.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.