[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> intense screen tearing >awful animation performance,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: xfce-1-620x387.jpg (20KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
xfce-1-620x387.jpg
20KB, 620x387px
> intense screen tearing
>awful animation performance, choppy video
>retarded drivers
>next to no information without trawling 1000 forum posts by idiots

>also really down syndrome multi monitor handling, 90% of the time programs open on the non-primary monitor, no way to fix it.

lol...

how are you suppose to get non shitty video performance with AMD on linux

I mean just using firefox / streaming video / general desktop animations. its slow as fuck

Why does it feel so unaccelerated?

Why use this?
>>
>>60940959
>Why use this?
Nobody does.
>>
Sounds like you're on Debian. I had the same problems, had to install linux-firmware-nonfree or something similar.
>>
Apple doesnt have this problem.
>>
File: 0XK7PUo.png.jpg (455KB, 3840x1080px) Image search: [Google]
0XK7PUo.png.jpg
455KB, 3840x1080px
No seriously i'm getting really fucking sick of NO DESKTOP ENVIORMENT HANDLING MULTI MONITORS PROPERLY

WHY IS IT SO FUCKING DIFFICULT FOR APPLICATIONS TO OPEN ON THE PRIMARY MONITOR 100% OF THE TIME

WHY DO THEY RANDOMLY OPEN ON THE SECOND MONITOR DESPITE ALL OPTIONS SAYING OTHERWISE

LINUX IS A PILE OF FUCKING SHIT, MAN
>>
File: 1418156797582.jpg (175KB, 317x699px) Image search: [Google]
1418156797582.jpg
175KB, 317x699px
Nice blog, faggot.
I've been using AMD with Linux for years with not problems, so it seems you just suck.
>>
>>60941030
What driver do you use
Do you use multi monitor?

Please respond.
>>
>>60941042
i'm not ur personal IT consultant, use a litle something called GOOOGLE u nooob
>>
>>60941024
???
With i3 they always open on the active monitor, so if you want to open something on your "primary monitor", just drag the mouse there ...
>>
>>60941052
not very hard to say what driver you're using

oh wait you dont even know what driving you're using because you're an utter moron who probaly installed ubuntu and thinks you're a linux god with zero knowledge about the inner workings of your PC and yet you still shit talk other people.

nice.
>>
>>60941042
>What driver do you use
radeon for pre-GCN cards (up to and including HD 8000 series)
amdgpu for GCN cards (almost everything with the new Rx xxx naming convention)

>Do you use multi monitor?
I have a TV connected to watch movies on. So far everything starts on the screen I open it on so it must be your window manager that's fucking up.

>>60941052
Nice pretending to be me, fucker.
>>
Welcome to Linux. It's better than Windows, despite being stuck in a 1990 graphics stack!
>>
>>60940959
It sounds like your drivers are not properly configured or installed. You may also not have the binary firmware (needed for hardware accel) installed. In most distos it usually is not installed/available by default because it is a proprietary/non-free package. If you have a newer card, install the "amdgpu" driver instead of the "ati" one. Also, try reading the man page.
man amdgpu

Noobs always complain about screen tearing. In order to fix it you have to add the "TearFree" driver option to your xorg.conf. Tearing is allowed by default, because your system might "just work" and you wouldn't need it and to fix requires a small performance hit and extra resources.

>>also really down syndrome multi monitor handling, 90% of the time programs open on the non-primary monitor, no way to fix it.
use a different window manager
>>
>>60941113
"radeon"

?

theres only two options for me:

Open Source driver: ATI
Propritary driver: Catalyst legacy

the second option however:

>> Catalyst packages are no longer offered in the official repositories. It is no longer updated by AMD and does not support the latest Xorg, so installing an old Xorg is required.

so ... theres really only ONE option

and I think i'm already using it?
>>
>>60941161
>use a different window manager
XFWM is really that garbage?
>>
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cayman PRO [Radeon HD 6950]
Subsystem: XFX Pine Group Inc. Device 3128
Kernel driver in use: radeon
Kernel modules: radeon

Is this the best driver possible? if so thats really sad cause it runs like shit.
>>
>>60941182
Let me just explain the situation with AMD drivers:

Pre-GCN cards:
Free driver: radeon
Proprietary driver: catalyst/fglrx - no longer supported

GCN cards:
Free driver: amdgpu
Proprietary driver: amdgpu-pro - only supported on Ubuntu, RHEL/CentOS, and SLES/SLED

From your screenfetch, you need the free radeon driver - in Arch that is the xf86-video-ati package.
(Appears you have it installed in >>60941238 )

You can also configure some things and it should run better.
There's a configuration section on the Arch wiki but for short this is the config you want:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Radeon"
Driver "radeon"
Option "DRI" "3"
Option "TearFree" "on"
Option "AccelMethod" "glamor"
EndSection

As root, make a config file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-radeon.conf and paste the above into it.
Then restart X (relogin, or reboot, whatever).
>>
>>60941341
thanks for the detailed explaination, really.

i'm not computer illiterate but the state of drivers on linux really is a giant clusterfuck.

its sad it took this long to understand it

it appears i AM infact using the best possible driver, but i will try that config you suggested

cheers, thanks again for not being a fuckhead.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-06-17_10-12-03.png (717KB, 3840x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-06-17_10-12-03.png
717KB, 3840x1080px
>>60941341
here goes
>>
how bout u switch to windows guyse?
>>
uh wait
apparently installing a GPU driver isn't enough to give you hardware acceleration?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hardware_video_acceleration

what the fuck...
>>
>>60941500
nvm i think thats just for rendering video files?
>>
>>60941052
Spotted the year-of-linux-desktop faggot
>>
If i type glxgears i get command not found.

Isn't that kinda worrying?
>>
>>60941418
Yep, that's it. Now restart X by logging out of XFCE.
After that, make sure you have XFCE's compositor set up right.
In Settings -> Window Manager Tweaks -> Compositor tab make sure the compositor is enabled and Synchronize to vertical blank is turned on too.
(I'm not entirely sure about the names since I don't currently have XFCE installed and mostly just go from memory.)
>>
>>60941548
yeah I believe it actually did fix the screen tearing, i can't notice it now so thats great

general all around desktop performance / animations is still less than great and at times choppy... it actually just feels like an unaccelerated GPU driver or something.
like windows 7 without a proper GPU driver.

but uhh i wonder if I should have 'glxgears' cause it doesn't work. i remember that being the go-to test for your driver, idk.
>>
Why would anyone use a server operating system as a desktop OS? That would be the equivalent of using a tank as your daily driver vehicle. And then claiming it's superior to passenger cars.
>>
Since you're on XFCE you could try using the compton compositor if you haven't already, it tends to smooth things out a lot.
>>
>>60941572
glxgears is packages separately on Arch and I don't remember the name of the package.

As for video acceleration, AMD supports VDPAU. Just install mesa and mesa-vdpau and set whatever media player you use to VDPAU hardware acceleration.

>>60941647
UNIX was written because Ken Thompson wanted to play a space game on a deprecated PDP-7 minicomputer. Why would anyone use that on a server...

>>60941698
Compton can be a bitch to set up, that's why I usually recommend the TearFree option with the default compositor.
BTW TearFree is supported by the Intel driver, too.
>>
>>60941500
You need an opengl compositor to get all those nice thinks like smooth animations and tear free desktop. xfce does NOT use opengl, instead it uses the 20 years old xrender and that shit plainly doesn't work at all. Every "TearFree" option you could activate for your GPU is a shit solution and tanks frame rate globally. replace the compositor part of xfce with compton. That shit sadly needs to be configured properly too.
>>
>>60941052
I tried googling GOOOGLE and it came up with google. Is that what you meant?
>>
>>60941024
You're using Xfce you dumb fuck. The multimonitor support has been broken for quite a while.

It always assumes the "default" monitor is the one closer to the 0,0 point on the Xorg plane, ie. the one on your left. And it ingores whatever you put in the settings.

I know that i3 works and whatever MATE ships with works too.
Stop being a dumbass getting frustrated at inanimate things. You look like a child when you do this.
>>
>>60941773
>You need an opengl compositor to get ... tear free desktop.
Even compton dev recommends to do vsync in driver instead of compositor.

>"TearFree" option ... tanks frame rate globally
Well, duh, it's vsync at driver level. Not that you could see all those extra frames on a 60Hz monitor anyway.
>>
>>60941024
Works on my machine
>>
File: 1484951860321.jpg (21KB, 214x300px) Image search: [Google]
1484951860321.jpg
21KB, 214x300px
>>60941024
gather a braincell or two and
 pacman -S xrandr 

you filthy subhuman

LXQT + i3 is shit of legends tier
>>
File: you're a woman.webm (618KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
you're a woman.webm
618KB, 480x360px
>>60940959
>Can't even properly configure his OS
>Blames the OS instead of his own incompetence
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.