[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wizards assemble ! Advanced users of GNU/Linux (and I mean

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: smgl.png (16KB, 327x192px) Image search: [Google]
smgl.png
16KB, 327x192px
Wizards assemble !

Advanced users of GNU/Linux (and I mean advanced), remember to try Source Mage GNU/Linux. True source-based distribution, and (in contrast with Gentoo and Arch) is:
Free from obfuscated and pre-configured code.
Fully committed to GPL, uses only free software (as in freedom) in their main package.
With even the documentation licensed as FDL.
Without 3rd party patches, sensible defaults or masked packages.
Doesn't need obfuscated python libraries, only bash.
Uses clean dependencies as they came from upstream developers, which by the same provides instant updates.
Can heal broken installs.
Can also use flags.

Do you like Arch Linux's AUR? Do you like Gentoo's portage (or ports-like) package manager? With SMGL's "sorcery" you get all that. Making new spells (packages) not found in the grimoire (repository) is easy http://sourcemage.org/Spell/Book

Bash hackers welcome! Come and join http://sourcemage.org/
>>
File: smgl_wizard.png (765KB, 800x680px) Image search: [Google]
smgl_wizard.png
765KB, 800x680px
>>60935169
>>
So maybe I'm not "advanced" enough, but I keep getting a kernel panic on boot after installing the chroot image:

No filesystem could mount root, tried: reiserfs ext3 ext2 ext4 jfs xfs
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,3)
Pid: 1, comm: swapper/0 Not tainted 3.4.51-smgl-x86_64 #6
Call Trace:

I followed the example and made the root folder an XFS filesystem, so I don't know why the kernel's panicking over this.
>>
>>60935249
Weird, got any picture?
>>
File: smgl_ftw.gif (767KB, 463x343px) Image search: [Google]
smgl_ftw.gif
767KB, 463x343px
>>60935169
>>
>>60935375
Not currently, no. Gimme a bit and I'll get one for you so you can see where I'm talking about.
>>
>>60935169
lunar is superior
>>
>>60935558
it seems to be dead though.

http://www.lunar-linux.org
>>
>>60935558
The two are sister projects
>>
>>60935375
>>60935529
Sorry for the long wait. Turns out there are a few things I still didn't know:
1. LILO doesn't support ext2 /boot filesystems
2. making /boot vfat prevents the chroot image extract operation from making symlinks in /boot, thus causing the extraction to fail
3. I don't know how to configure GRUB for Source Mage, otherwise I'd just use it with ext2 /boot and ext4 everything else and move on

I think number 1 above is why I was getting the kernel panic; number 2 is keeping me from getting back to the point where the kernel panic occurs. Number 3 should solve both numbers 1 and 2.

So, if I wanna use GRUB as my bootloader with ext2 /boot, how would I configure GRUB so it would run correctly?
>>
>>60936363
Of course, makes sense.

If you want to proceed with GRUB you have to do the configuration instead of lilo and initialize. Just remember Legacy is not the same as GRUB2. Can't remember exactly because I honestly only do
nano /etc/lilo.conf
lilo -A /dev/sdX 1
lilo

and that's it. Check for the installation in the archwiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB_Legacy#Bootloader_installation
>>
>>60936489
Hmm, does Source Mage come with GRUB2? I'd use that over GRUB Legacy if it's available. I didn't see anything about that in the install guide, so I'm guessing it's not?
>>
>>60936500
Scratch that, I went back over the install guide and it does show that GRUB2 should be available to use. It just never mentions any configuration that Source Mage needs. Maybe I can find a standard config that should work somewhere...
>>
>>60936489
Oh yeah, I forgot to ask: since you're using LILO, how are you setting up your /boot partition? Which filesystem format are you using for it?
EFI or no?
>>
>>60936500
>>60936522
I think the installation is
grub-install /dev/sdx
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

then edit the the configuration file

>>60936550
not EFI, is a simple ext3
>>
>>60936569
ext3 works with LILO? That might simplify things; I'll try these various options and see which ones work for me. Thanks for the info!
>>
>>60936581
Yes, btw lilo.conf is
install = text

lba32
compact

prompt
timeout=100

#append = "loglevel=3"

map = /boot/.map

boot=/dev/sda
root=/dev/sda2

image=/boot/vmlinuz-4.7.10
label=4.7.10
read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-3.4.51
label=smgl-x86_64
read-only

Also check these notes https://pastebin.com/tA09k8Rq

Hope it helps.
>>
>>60936639
Niiiice, that'll help for sure! SAVED
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.