[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any software devs/designers/engineers on here? I switched majors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: javascript.jpg (152KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
javascript.jpg
152KB, 600x300px
Any software devs/designers/engineers on here? I switched majors in college to software dev and design and was wondering what you think of the field.
>>
It's shit
>>
>>60934241
How come? The major I declared previously was cybersecurity
>>
>>60934270
You made a huge mistake.
>>
>>60934291
I can easily change it, anon. Just wondering why it's so shit.
>>
File: 007-watch.jpg (54KB, 640x533px) Image search: [Google]
007-watch.jpg
54KB, 640x533px
Bump
>>
>>60934302
Bad pay, the work sucks and nobody respects you
Same with doing real security (vuln research)
>>
>>60934405
So I should definitely switch back to cybersecurity? Is it more respectable?
>>
>>60934302
It's a lightweight meme degree.
>>
>>60934412
No, go into advertising or finance
>>
>>60934412
>So I should definitely switch back to cybersecurity?
Yes

>Is it more respectable?
lol no

But at least you won't hate yourself and your life choices.
>>
>>60934422
Well the fact that software developers don't even need a degree to get a job in the field isn't impressive.
>>
>>60934440
Exactly.
>>
>>60934438
Then what STEM field would you recommend? I'm pretty limited. ISM, Comp and Net Sec, Game Design, etc.
>>
>>60934433
I was enrolled at another university for finance with a concentration in financial planning but I switched to this one.
>>
>>60934440
You don't need a degree for security either
Some of the best VR people dropped out of college or never went
>>
>>60934483
In English please?
>>
>>60934463
Just do computer science, computer engineering or electrical engineering. All those other things you listed are buzzword studies designed to attract lazy millennials and their parents' fat wallets.
>>
>>60934514
Vulnerability research is one of the biggest security fields
It entails finding bugs in modern software, which are able to be exploited to gain code execution, or privilege escalation, then weaponizing said bugs, and selling them to the government
The industry is more merit based than most traditional roles, allowing people who are skilled to get decent pay (130-250k) without going to college
>>
>>60934063

Prepare to get replaced by Poo in Loo.
>>
>>60934270
>switch from the field where companies might just be willing to pay for an american
>to the field where all they want is pajeet and his sweet wage slave visa
Oh boy did you fuck up.
>>
>>60934519
None are offered there. My family has a finance background though
>>
>>60934547
I see
>>
>>60934433
This advice is best advice.
>>
>>60934785
I can change it back easily. It was just a curiosity switch. I'd be starting in Spring 2018 anyway.
>>
>>60934787
>None are offered there
Huge red flag. Most likely a shit school.

>My family has a finance background though
Then do finance.
>>
>>60934812
It's a private university. Not state.
>>
>>60934817
>It's a private university. Not state.
Irrelevant to the quality of the education desu.
>>
>Asking /g/ for help

Software Engineering is a great field, but theres alot of pressure on you to magically create the software, just like theres pressure on sysadmins when servers go to shit. But generally the pay is good, its a creative field but prepare to do alot of meetings and work in pairs or even teams.
Don't believe /g/, they don't have jobs because they can't communicate with another human being, except on the internet.
>>
>>60934837
The College of Technology was awarded in 2011 by the National Security Agency as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education (CAE/IAE). Take that as you will.
>>60934842
Agreed. They circle jerk about fucking Seiko watches and Chinkshit.
>>
File: terry_jobs.jpg (78KB, 600x394px) Image search: [Google]
terry_jobs.jpg
78KB, 600x394px
>>60934483
>Some of the best VR people dropped out of college or never went
That's like saying, Bill Gates dropped out of college, so should you and you'll be the richest man alive

You need to pick your degree the best you can and find a job that you are passionate about. I _was_ passionate about my programming job up until a few years ago, now I'm just a burnt out ember
>>
>>60934890
How long did you do programming for?
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.