[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know it's optimal to replace thermal paste every 6 months,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: IMAG0415.jpg (911KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0415.jpg
911KB, 1080x1920px
I know it's optimal to replace thermal paste every 6 months, but what about cleaning the CPU contacts? I live in a only slightly harsh environment (hits 80% humidity on bad days, and across the street from a lake), so I've just been doing it every 2 weeks with some CRC contact cleaner, but I just got pic related, which is a contact cleaner that also protects, so I'm hoping I can push that out to a couple of months between cleanings. Am I doing it too often? Can I get away with just doing it every 6 months when I change thermal paste since I have the good stuff now?
>>
>>60930815
I'll answer in case you're not baiting and actually retarded

Replace thermal paste every 2 years and don't fuck with the CPU contacts
>>
>>60930815
>it's optimal to replace thermal paste every 6 months

You really don't need to do it that often. Not at least with the specific intention. Heatsink must be taken off first to properly clean out dust. This of course requires reapplication of the paste.
Otherwise changing the paste every 2 years is enough.

>cleaning the CPU contacts
why.jpg there's no dust or goo under there
>>
>>60930815
anon i found that replacing thermal paste on a weekly basis really helps with temperature management.
As far as cpu contacts I only do that every year when i take my build apart and clean all components thoroughly including washing the case with pressurized lance, because I-m kinda lazy.
>>
>>60930815
The cpu contacts are in an extremely tight, covered area with no air flow. Why would you bother cleaning it? You will probably do more harm than not.
>>
>>60931007
static, dust atoms buildup, ossidation
>>
>>60930973
I found that replacing my CPU every hour results in much better performance. I keep about 16 CPUs around so I can cycle them every hour during the day without worrying about reusing the same CPU on the same day. This way the CPU can get some rest and perform its best again the next day.
>>
>>60930875
2 years is fine, but mine dries a bit faster since it gets exposed when I clean the contacts, and it's still BEST to do it every 6 months regardless, but it only really starts getting much worse after 2 years.
>>60930916
The paste is still good until it dries, you just need to smooth it back out with a credit card.
>>60930973
It takes about a week to properly cycle and get optimal cooling, so you really miss out on using it at its peak if you replace it weekly.
>>60931007
If it's not airtight, it can still get stuff in there. I went from 4.2Ghz to 4.4Ghz stable when I started cleaning the contacts on my Phenom II X4 955, no other changes, just a Hyper 212 Evo for cooling.
>>
>>60930815

Fuck you you fucking retard.

Paste can last more than 2-3 years and even then, is you have low heat output, you can leave it on longer.

Cpu contacts don't have to be cleaned ever. EVER

2/10, you made me reply
>>
>>60931224
>it's not airtight
neither is your mothers vagina and yet nothing wants to get in there
>>
File: IMAG0416.jpg (897KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0416.jpg
897KB, 1920x1080px
Has anyone else had better luck overclocking with contact cleaner, or know how well Deoxit stacks up to a normal cleaner like CRC?
>>
>>60932234
ironic shitposting is still shitposting
>>
>>60930815
I haven't replaced my thermal paste in seven years and my 965be still runs at 40degC with a few chrome tabs open.
>>
>>60932327
u won the thermal paste lottery
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.