[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /g/ Some time ago I thought I was cool and decided to protect

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

Hi /g/
Some time ago I thought I was cool and decided to protect my BIOS with an admin password. Problem is, I forget it. After some searches, I found that my only hope was to open my computer and remove CMOS for some minutes. And so I did. Problem is, I just can't see a CMOS in my motherboard. Can someone help me locating it?

>pic related is my motherboard
>>
>>
I'm pretty sure it's the one that reads 'Swapnet'
>>
>>60925052
Where?
>>
>>60925035
Ha! I did the same thing. I tried to reflash the CMOS by removing the battery but it didnt do anything. I found out how to type in a default manufacturer password and it removed mt Admin pass. What brand is the BIOS? And what brand is your motherboard?
>>
>>60925123
I can't locate the BIOS either but if I were to guess I would say that ITE thing. Also the motherboard is Asus X541uv main board
>>
>>60925136
Ok. Boot your laptop up and enter the bios and tell me what date it is showing
>>
>>60925173
OK give me some minutes, I need to build the laptop. Tha is for the help
>>
Remove the CMOS?
Are you sure?
They probably meant remove the battery. The CMOS is inside the BIOS chip, it's its memory, it loses its data when it has no power. That's why most computers have a button battery inside.
In case of laptops, they usually run from the battery. Since you ahve already removed it, I'd say you are good to go.
>>
>>60925181
If you have a multi meter look for something with power going to it, then trace it.
>>
>>60925192
When I tried fixing my stupid mistake, removing the battery did nothing. Afterwards I found out CMOS data is stored as flash settings so removing my battery did nothing
>>
give it back tyrone
>>
>>60925173
06/27/2016
00:01
>>
>>60925192
Op here, yes it was the battery. My fault
>>
>>60925035
Sure it doesn't have a non-volatile flash CMOS?
Maybe it has pads on the board that trigger a CMOS reset?
>>
>>60925251
Hmm thats odd. Try and removing the CMOS battery and all power and see if that sets the time to the time of factory setting. Actually if you can please also show me a picture of it
>>
>>60925192
Well, this isn't 2011 anymore, lot of shit uses non-volatile memory for CMOS nowadays, sometimes on the same silicon as the BIOS itself. The battery is just there for keeping time.
>>
>>60925277
That's the main reason why I created this thread, I can't locate the CMOS battery. Also, it's odd that it asks me for the password before entering the BIOS but if I press backspace I'm able to enter it in read only mode. Do you want a picture of the BIOS?
>>
>>60925327
You need to somehow reset the clock. And yes show me the bios so I can see if it is the same as mine
>>
>>60925378
This is weird. Now the clock is back to normal
>>
>>60925035
take the laptop back sheldon
>>
>>60925414
Change the date to 2009-01-22 and when you try to type in the password press Alt-R and then type in L1A92LDA

It is the exact same as my system but it the date was at 2009. I cant remember if there is a factory reset option in the bios if so try that
>>
>>60925455
SHIIIT it worked. I just can't thank you enough, I entered as admin. Now, how do I reset?
>>
>>60925530
take it back deiter
>>
>>60925530
Np. But what worked? Did you put in the factory password? What is it you mean by reset? But yea you really should take it back
>>
>>60925608
I did the 2009 thing and restored to defaults, everything's fine by now. Much thanks
>>
>>60925668
Glad it worked. Now go take it back Ramirez
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.