[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I purchased a used ThinkPad from a refurbished on ebay. The listing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

I purchased a used ThinkPad from a refurbished on ebay. The listing said that the factory recovery partition was still intact.

When I asked the seller to to confirm the recovery partition was in tact, he said yes it was but that he recommends DO NOT restore from recovery an unused OS install.

What the fuck?

Seems extremely suspicious.

Does /g/ recommend installing from scratch, or from recovery, a refurbished computer purchased from a reputable seller on eBay (has like 15k reviews and a 100% rating).

What do?
>>
what the fuck is that?
>>
why would you not wipe the entire drive the moment you receive it?
>>
It's a used computer. The previous owner could have three botnets, 10 keyloggers, and backdoors. You fucking reformat that hard drive three times and reinstall your OS of choice.
>>
>>60916002
>installing from recovery
the f uck u on my man?
>>
>>60916026
This.
>Bought Thinkpad
>Had Win 7 Pro key
>Came with cracked Win 7 Home
Wiped that shit in an instant.
>>
>>60916002
nigger what the fuck just nuke the drive and install your favorite Windows version, Linux distro or if it's a T420/X220 the latest macOS.
>>
Are you capable of looking up and downloading the drivers to install yourself? Then there's no need to use the recovery partition. That's there for monkeys and idiots.
>>
OP here. Don't I need to keep the recovery partition in order to retain the Win 7 pro key? Or is that stored in BIOS?

If I do nuke the drive, should I also reformat the recovery partition? Can I recreate that later?

Seller says it will be a fresh install of the os but yeah I am security conscious.

I am technically capable of dealing with the drivers and whatnot.
>>
>>60916050
Can I install Mavericks or whatever the latest and greatest is?

How would it run on a T420s, i5 2.5ghz Intel 3000 graphics 8g ram and 128 ssd?

How much fuckery is involved in getting it going?

Thanks!
>>
>>60916107
The key is in the battery compartment or something. (I forget now.)
>>
>>60916153
Yeah it's under the screwed on cover. The screws on said cover are not original. I haven't opened it up yet I just received it today and am at work so I can't mess with it right now.
>>
File: a.jpg (266KB, 1048x409px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
266KB, 1048x409px
>>60916129
Yes and you get updates from the App Store without issues, my memepad has survived upgrades since 10.12.1.

No idea about the s version, I'm using a T420 but i guess it would work fine.

There's a pretty straightforward tutorial, the only "complicated" part is running a .exe in Windows to flash a custom BIOS.
>>
>>60916274
Does audio in/out, wifi, and the mouse fully work?
>>
>>60916320
>audio in/out
Yes
>wifi
Not with the default intel wlan card, you need to remove the chinknovo pci whitelist and use a compatible card like the $4 Dell DW1510 that i'm using, hence the custom bios.
>mouse
Both the trackpoint and touchpad work fine, HOWEVER the touchpad experience is shit because macOS heavily uses plenty of gestures that won't work or feel like shit with this touchpad, only basic stuff up to two fingers work. I only use the trackpoint anyway.

So far the only things that won't work are the sd card reader and the mute microphone button, even the expresscard and the docking station work.
>>
>>60916002
Enjoy your semen stains
>>
Bumping... Is there no value to the recovery partition? Can I even trust that the recovery partition is 'safe'?
>>
>>60916107
couldn't you just get the product key with Produkey or something?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.