[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reminder 2FA applications sucks ass. >lose phone >lose

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

File: 1489459163484.png (609KB, 668x1154px) Image search: [Google]
1489459163484.png
609KB, 668x1154px
Reminder 2FA applications sucks ass.

>lose phone
>lose access to every single account

Reminder 2FA SMS sucks ass.

>someone hijacks your number through the many glitches discovered in 2016
>lose access to every single account
>>
But you can just write down the recover codes
>>
this is why i don't bother with 2fa and just forget my password, creating a new one every time I need to log in
>>
>>60913333
That's funny, because the recover codes is visible to anyone that grabs your phone or gets access to the 2FA accounts.

Sucks for you, haha.
>>
>>60913313
> replacing a SIM is difficult
> Im also too poor to afford handset insurace, or just get a new one

Im glad im not you.
>>
>>60913419
>> replacing a SIM is difficult
https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/05/thieves-drain-2fa-protected-bank-accounts-by-abusing-ss7-routing-protocol/

> Im also too poor to afford handset insurace, or just get a new one
Buy a new phone and then what? Your authentication app automatically recognizes you?

Piss off fucking autistic mongoloid.
>>
>>60913313
use authy, you can sync your codes between devices
>>
>logging into an account using anything but websites passing the librejs check in gnu icecat on your librebooted thinkpad running parabola
enjoy you're botnet
>>
>>60913313
>I have never heard if YubiKey.

https://www.yubico.com/

You set it as your primary authentication device and your phone as a secondary.

You'd also have to be pretty retarded to lose track of your hand set if it's that valuable to you.
>>
>>60913313
>2017
>having other than email account
kek
>>
>>60913378
Who writes down their recovery codes in plaintext anyway
>>
>>60915504
U dumb cunt it shows up in plain sight in account settings
>>
>>60915537
Why would you show that to others anyway?
>>
>>60915568
Lol? You're autistic but fine, I'll explain it when it's already been explained by others in this thread.

>YOU LOSE THE PHONE
>GUY GRABS YOUR PHONE
>GUY GETS ACCESS TO YOUR AUTHENTICATION APPLICATIONS AND SMS
>GUY GETS ACCESS TO YOUR ACCOUNTS AND ITS SETTINGS
>GUY CAN WIPE OUT YOUR RECOVERY CODES AND REQUEST NEW ONES
>YOU ARE NOW COMPLETELY LOCKED OUT OF YOUR ACCOUNTS

Jesus fucking Christ are you a pajeet?
>>
>>60915591
Looking past your gender, ethnicity, and mental health assumptions, you can lock your phone and your applications. You can store your passwords and recovery codes, in ciphertext, in multiple locations as well. You know that, right?
>>
File: woacalmdown.jpg (11KB, 236x216px) Image search: [Google]
woacalmdown.jpg
11KB, 236x216px
>>60913313
GIVE ME THE SOURCE!!!! I NEED TO KNOW AAAA I WANT TO FUCK THAT PICTURE :)))))))
>>
>>60915657
Why didn't you read?

>>60913459
You simply reconfigure 2FA for your new phone, what are you on about?
>>
>>60915701
>You simply reconfigure 2FA

woah every phone I buy will somehow know who I am, gratz on being dumb
>>
>>60915717
Why would you want your phone to know who you are anyway? You just reconfigure it yourself. I seriously don't get what you're on about.
>>
>>60915677
>a seven-chin smiley
>>
>>60915677
https://iqdb.org/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.4cdn.org%2Fg%2F1497541762049.png
>>
>>60913676
I'd be perfectly fine with a yubikey or other dedicated device for 2FA. But I want no part of using a phone. I don't trust phones to protect my privacy, security, and I also don't trust them to not break or vanish at inopportune times. I try to not tie anything essential to my phone (or phone number, if I can help it) Ideally I want the ability to go without a phone at all.

unfortunately it seems like most places doing 2FA only support it through a smartphone. (eg, my bank)
>>
>>60913313
is she wearing a plate helmet?
>>
Why can't 2FA be used with multiple emails instead?
>>
>>60915903
E-mail uses opportunistic encryption, it'd be a very bad idea to send tokens over e-mail.
>>
>>60915972
thanks for the explaination
>>
2FA with google voice?

I only give out my voice number now.
>>
>>60916039
Do you live in Europe? If yes, how did you get a 2nd phone number with Google Voice
>>
is it possible to implement a local based 2FA using foss software/hardware?
>>
>>60916169
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeOTP
>>
>>60916220
Thankyou!!
Very helpful anon!
>>
>>60913313
That's why you keep your security phone in a secure place and use another one as your daily driver.
>>
>>60913555
>>>60913313 (OP)
>use authy, you can sync your codes between devices

Lol sure
>>
>>60913313
Nice Bait.
Save "private Keys(there's always a way to regain access to 2FA accounts)" somewhere else.
>>
>>60917868
Where is the option for this with Google Auth?
>>
BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP
>>
Reminder having your email account stolen because you're too lazy and/or stupid to use 2fa sucks worst of all.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.