[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This cabinet measures 25x25x15 inches and will contain four Ryzen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

This cabinet measures 25x25x15 inches and will contain four Ryzen systems (motherboards mounted to shelves) running 24-7.

I have four 120mm 50 cfm fans. What is the ideal configuration? Should I pick up 2-3 140mm fans to place on the back for intake and use two on each sides for exhaust?
>>
Bumping for advice
>>
>>60912936
intake for each motherboard on one side, output on the other.
>>
So you will have 4 shelves in there with mobos on them?
>>
>>60913216
Fuck off, you have your thread on /diy/, stop shitting the place up.
>>
>>60913242
layout is like this or similar
>>
>>60913246
either two shelves or just one shelf with one on the bottom, not quite sure yet
aiming for a 2x2 configuration
>>
>>60912936
I don't even... why aren't you using a rackmount cabinet, probably one with an open back?
>>
>>60913338
I'd have to buy four rackmount chassis plus the cabinet vs. this simple DIY cabinet for 1/5 the price
>>
>>60913349
It's dirt cheap Asian labour + machines that will build your rack and cases in mass production efficiency.

This will take quite a lot of time and effort to get right and construct so it's at least halfway maintainable.

I can't see how DIY is viable unless you have a lot of time and no money and no money-making opportunities.
>>
>>60913451
a rackmount case to fit some of the consumer crap I am putting in here is $100-200 each

This is literally a prefab wooden box, I don't understand where you get the notion that this will take any meaningful time and energy. Cut some fan holes, done. 15 minute project

> I can't see how DIY is viable
literally what
>>
>>60913451
>>60913470
Fuck it, you're right, I'll just use four separate cheap ATX cases or something
Thanks
>>
>>60913470
> a rackmount case to fit some of the consumer crap I am putting in here is $100-200 each
More like $60 for the rackmount cases, plus $80 or so for the rack. $300-350 total or so. Possibly less if you're willing to look around for a while.

You could also take cheap computer cases for $25 or at scrap value from the scrapyard or whatever.

> I don't understand where you get the notion that this will take any meaningful time and energy
At the point where you add drives and sufficient stability for the mainboards and need to have proper cooling- not the mainboards below heating the ones above.

Or where you need to make it serviceable and when you add in the risk of damage to computer parts, that also already justifies just buying cheap cases.
>>
>>60913605
Good points
>>
>25x25x15
You sir, are lame. with only 15 inches,
you could put 10 of them ( 1.5" is 1U ).
Just use flat heatsink/fans from Xeon forced air systems... Ill bill you later...
>>
>>60912936
Mate, what is the point of the four system set up? Why not rackmount or lackrack? Why not consolidate into fewer systems? I also need more details about this case if you can't be persuaded otherwise, i.e.: does noise bother you? Is price a factor? Etc.
>>
>>60914454
>what is the point of the four system set up
BOINC
> Why not rackmount or lackrack
was just trying to save $ and leave room for expansion in the future but I suppose I will just pick up some cheap ATX cases, more sensible for the time being
> Why not consolidate into fewer systems
any suggestions?
>>
>>60914499
Okay, what are you using boinc for? Are you doing research/seti type stuff?

Honestly, I suggest starting off with a lackrack ($20 from ikea, if that). You can always scale up, and if you decide in the long term that an industrial rack is better it's an easy(er) swap than from desktop rigs or this...

Re systems, again depends on what the purpose of your boinc will be. I'm assuming you're not running one of these as a server for intranet apps or a workstation or anything, right?
>>
>>60914750
>lackrack
The legs are hollow now and I think your suggestion would make less sense than my original project desu. And I meant adding GPUs in the future, etc., which I can't do if I design this around 1U rack chassis, and if I spring for larger chassis, they're going to cost significantly more. The person above was right—it makes the most sense to just grab some ATX cases and forget about it. $25 ea. for some cheap cases or $50 for a decent new one vs dicking about with a cardboard table and overpriced, undersized rackmount cases.

>Re systems, again depends on what the purpose of your boinc will be. I'm assuming you're not running one of these as a server for intranet apps or a workstation or anything, right?
I'm just crunching numbers with the CPUs 24-7
>>
>>60914809
Re: lackracks

Didn't know that development. I'm on a full industrial 4 post 40U rack rn myself so I'm a bit detached from using them, but they were great back in the day.

Who said using 1U racks? You can ebay around or look at those rosewill 4Us and still have plenty of room for gpus.

ATX cases are a quick and dirty option, if you don't care about any aesthetics and don't have a devotion to high-tech (Which, I guess is why people use boinc anyway, so they can network together smaller systems)

Do you already have the ryzen systems? What's your budget for your entire setup?
>>
>>60914992
>Who said using 1U racks
An above poster

My entire budget is $2500 to $3000—I'd prefer to spend as little as I can while keeping roughly the same amount of computing power. I do have most of the parts including the Ryzen chips but I'm happy to return them and get something else.

Energy efficiency is important to me, too, so I avoided going with some of the dirt-cheap but very old and power hungry Xeons from eBay (for example). I'm open to suggestions, though.
>>
Honestly, if that's the case, perhaps return some stuff and go with a single or mayyybe two dual xeon (newer, more efficient chips) and have them in two cheaper 4Us.

You seem very passionate about this project - not many people would be willing to drop $3k on a project like this. What that says to me is that you'd probably like to do this project to the best of your abilities, and - thus - naturally will want to expand more and more as time goes.

While ATX cases and consumer hardware is great in the short run, what happens in 15 years when you have a garage full of jumbled atx cases a la a beowulf cluster? If you want to scale in the future, racks will simply be more space efficient and powerful; but energy consumption and upfront investment are obviously higher.

That being said you can find nice racks on cl/ebay(local) for $40-$80 a lot of times. It will also allow for more proper configuration (ie power infrastructure, network infrastructure, hell even just the cable management is a dream when you get past a half dozen systems)

The only feasible, imho, way to do what you want to do is to run with ATX chassis on a metal garage rack or something and (maybe?) find consumer equivalents to rack mountable equipment and throw it on top next to it and meticulously spend hours on the cable management.

Put simply, there is a reason rack systems are the go to in industry
>>
>>60915151
Also, on top of all this, cooling will be better in a rack system.

But for the love of christ please use ATX over a single box with fans or something, that way you at least minimize the overall volume of hot air your chips experience
>>
>>60912936
>dood! im a gonna get sum bitcoins hahahah xdxdxd
>theyll be sorry when i cash out 3$ every months!!!
>>
>>60915195
Can BOINC be used for mining? Dear god... I have been out of tech for a while, I'm surprised this is still a thing.

>t. economics grad, they are falling for the same "currencygod" trap as keynesian and 90% of macro theory
>>
>>60915151
>>60915173
Do you have any specific Xeons in mind? As far as I can tell. the Ryzen 1700 is the best chip on the market for crunching a lot of numbers without using much electricity. The newer Xeons are all either very expensive or very power hungry.
>>
>>60915558
Unfortunately that's where my expertise will fail you. I don't know enough about the Ryzens to compare too well, before adding that I've never been super fussed about power consumption, and I also don't sit on the computational side of things (or at least have not in quite a while) and don't want to lead you astray with a hyper specific example - sorry lad.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.