[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the best multi-purpose format for storing anything? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1492330666370.jpg (288KB, 1754x1254px) Image search: [Google]
1492330666370.jpg
288KB, 1754x1254px
What the best multi-purpose format for storing anything? I'm currently using PNG for storing my photos, scans, and pdf conversions of emails.
>>
>>60909577
>I'm currently using PNG for storing my ... pdf conversions of emails.
uh, what
>>
>>60909765
I print my emails from gmail to PDF and then convert the PDF to PNG for easier reading. PNG is an open format that doesn't require any additional software to view, and they can always be converted back to PDF and OCR'd if necessary.
>>
>>60909788
wat, why not just store the emails as-is? they're single text files
why prerender and rasterise them? that's just a waste of space and energy

also;
a. PDF is also an open format
b. rasterising a rendered pdf email to a png can't be reversed back to pdf, the result will just be a png in a pdf file, it'll be bigger than the original, lower quality than the original, and entirely pointless
>>
>>60909822
I scan all of my post as PNG so having random text files in there would be confusing. If everything is the same format it is easier to work with.
>>
>>60909854
That is just stupid,it is much harder to recover png in case of data-loss and viruses.

I hope you got solid back-up.
>>
File: a.png (1MB, 512x768px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
1MB, 512x768px
>>60909854
it's called using the right tool for the job
physical mail is physical mail, the most sensible way to digitize them is to scan them as a raster image, like a PNG file
email is a text file, it makes sense to just store it as a text file

technically you can store anything in a PNG, if you wanted to, doesn't mean it's a good idea

like here's an AAC music track, stored in a PNG
bonus points if someone recognizes it
mpv <(convert a.png rgb:-)
>>
I store all my emails as video files, I have a backup on youtube incase my hard drive dies
>>
>>60909822
>PDF is also an open format
Parts of PDF is open. Lots of it is proprietary.
>>
>>60909577
In your pic, OP, those boxes at the far left look like Armdahl. The white are IBM (4381?) and the red, of course, are Cray.
Did you know that the early Armdahl mainframes used storage scope tubes in their consoles?
>>
>>60909577
>What the best multi-purpose format for storing anything?
The largest number of original documents we have from history are paper or paper-like. More practical than stone and lighter and more editable than clay tablets.
It seems that everything since paper has been all downhill as far as entropy is concerned.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.