[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what's so great about WebAssembly, exactly? If I understand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: wasm3[1].png (72KB, 837x556px) Image search: [Google]
wasm3[1].png
72KB, 837x556px
what's so great about WebAssembly, exactly?
If I understand correctly it just allows you to write other languages for the web and then "compile" it
Won't people just make frameworks for the web in whatever language? Isn't that the entire point of javascript to be a framework for the web?
>>
>>60905150
A lot of the hype for it is that it's not Javascript, and frankly that alone is more than sufficient cause.
>>
i bet stallman's ecstatic. no more nonfree js
>>
File: ferris tea.png (502KB, 486x481px) Image search: [Google]
ferris tea.png
502KB, 486x481px
What's stopping future web developers and site owners from redesigning their websites as WASM binary "clients" that connect to a server in order to render websites?

This would let them block unsavory actions, like saving images, right clicking, copy/paste, and they could embed ads in the "client" to thwart adblocking, and even run bitcoin miners in order to make money off of every single user visiting their site.
>>
>>60905259
They could do that with javascript too

They don't because it's way too much effort and nobody would ant to use their site
>>
>>60905259
absolutely nothing
but there are already things link this
http://vps2.etotheipiplusone.com:30176/redmine/emscripten-qt-examples/scribble.html
>>
>>60905179
but now there will be nonfree webassembly

anything can be nonfree my dude
>>
>>60905259
Are you the same anon who keeps saying this whenever wasm comes up?

Dude, no. That's not how this works. It's not like a wasm binary gets to do anything special that js can't. What do you even mean rendering on the server, you mean send back a giant goddamn image of the rendered page? You could do that now and it'd be no less absurd.
>>
>>60905179
It will actually be might more non-free when we get web assembly, because then likely every web assembly source will be a binary blob that can't be easily reverse engineered.

>>60905306
God, emscripten apps are so fucking slow. asm.js was not a good idea.

>>60905259
Nothing is stopping them, that doesn't sound like an absurd idea at all.

I think we should ask how much we really want web assembly. Why do you want to run e.g. C++ programs on the client? What other language does WA allow that didn'you couldn't transpile? Transpiling works decently well and has been around for a while. Webassembly will just make this kind of annoying toolchain process of web developement more of the norm, and will encourage shitty corporations or startups to make gigantic bloated websites that require you to download a fully featured program every time you want to browse a fucking news article.
>>
>>60905464
Fuck I need to proof-read my posts better.
>>
>>60905150
WebAssembly will allow us to create more demanding and powerful applications that run at close to native speed over the universal web platform.

Things like AAA games or video editors could be run on anything with a web browser.
>>
>>60905150

>what's so great about suddenly being able to use something other than JavaScript?
>>
>>60905150
Isn't it obvious? The industry has been working on making websites more cancerous for years now. This is just another milestone on that road.
>>
>>60905150
Literally the only people who like Javascript are people that only know Javascript
>>
>>60907679
pretty neat.

ive played with some of the web asem demos for the browser

i imagine a majority of mobile games could be played in the browser before you push them to your phone
>>
File: india.programmers.visa.pajeet.png (205KB, 661x714px) Image search: [Google]
india.programmers.visa.pajeet.png
205KB, 661x714px
>>60907823
Duleed 4 pajeed

plz?
>>
>>60905464
The point is that it will still be less bloated and slow that the current full-featured applications that are written in js or transpiled to it.
Transpiling is not enough for everything.
>>
>>60905150
Because Javascript is an absolutely awful language. I want Javascript to no longer be synonymous with fullstack webdev.
>>
>>60905150
you can write code that is even more obfuscated than regular javascript
and
new attack vectors for browsers
>>
>>60909656
That sounds hella epic.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.