[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the hell is the point of Chromebooks? What the fuck do they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5

File: $200 piece of paper.jpg (44KB, 1022x666px) Image search: [Google]
$200 piece of paper.jpg
44KB, 1022x666px
What the hell is the point of Chromebooks? What the fuck do they even do? From what i've read they just sound like a more locked down and useless version of linux that runs as fast as a fat person up a hill during a heatwave.
>>
To eat apple's macbook market share filled with gullible retards who mostly browse facebook.
>>
>>60899337
Dont make fat jokes anon.

Anyway the point of a chromebook is lowlevel botnet workbook for using google's apps. If you mod them, they make great travelbooks.
>>
>>60899559
And what to do if I don't have an internet connection or need more power?
>>
>>60899576
Then you go to starbucks, get what you need and leave. Or get a product that suits your needs...
>>
>>60899337
Most people do all of their work in the web browser.

This is for those people.
>>
>>60899620
this. the vast majority of people, believe it or not /v/, spend most of their computer time browsing the internet or using office software. This is a cheap alternative for them, which doesn't come with any of the feature bloat that they'll never use. And they're relatively safe from malware and such. No BSOD, no spinning circle screen to install Windows updates, it literally just works for them.
>>
>>60899337
It's a laptop that boots straight to a browser, for people who don't do anything else. Plus now they either can or soon will be able to run Android apps.
>>
>>60899716
But does it have enterprise level software?
>>
>>60899964
That's not their target market.
>>
File: Samsung_Chromebook_35500150_07.jpg (48KB, 770x433px) Image search: [Google]
Samsung_Chromebook_35500150_07.jpg
48KB, 770x433px
>>60899337
>What the hell is the point of Chromebooks?

It's the most popular Linux distro and has come the furthest to bringing the Year of the Linux Desktop.

>According to Amazon, the number one selling laptop isn't a Windows PC or a Mac, it's the Samsung Chromebook, which runs Google's Linux-based Chrome OS.

http://www.zdnet.com/amazons-top-selling-laptop-doesnt-run-windows-or-mac-os-it-runs-linux-7000009433/
>>
>>60899576
Chromebooks don't need constant internet anymore. It has Android apps now.

They're dirt cheap, very responsive and the battery lasts for ages. Literally the best note taking app.
>>
>>60899576
>>60900025
There are plenty of Chrome apps that run offline.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/collection/offline_enabled
>>
>>60900025
They never did, ChromeOS has always had at least some functionality offline
t. ChromeOS test pilot
>>
>>60899337
Most "normies" do all of their computing in a browser. Supply that with a great battery life, portability, and a low price, wa la, it's perfect
>>
>>60899964
>le """enterprise""" software maymay
i bet you personally don't even need that.
>>
>>60899964
Google Docs is enterprise level software.
>>
Chromebook + powerful desktop is the most comfy combination ever.
>>
if you could flash coreboot and any OS you wanted freely they would be nice for cheap portable terminals <$100

otherwise its fairly pointless
>>
ChromeOS is based on Gentoo
>>
It's good that Linux laptop is finally mainstream now.
>>
>>60900152
This is what I want but I really don't like the idea of ChromeOS. Thinking to build a PC and get a surface pro or something.
>>
>>60900210
https://wiki.galliumos.org/Hardware_Compatibility
this is list of chromebooks that you can install linux on. No need to shell out hundreds of dollars for a surface pro.

As long as you're ok with 16-32gb of internal storage (most of these have sd card slots as well) then you should be fine.
>>
>>60900172
no /g/ent wants another /g/ents gentoo

they wait their own custom tailored gentoo with their own bootloaders
>>
>>60900165
but you can
https://libreboot.org/docs/install/c201.html
>>
>>60899964
I am assuming GSuite is compatible, so yes.
>>
>>60900144
One that owns anything you write on it.
>>
>>60899559
>Dont make fat jokes anon.
./SJW
>>
>>60899716
So did windows RT, a webbrowser and ms office
btw, I'm using my surface RT right now to shitpost on /g/
chromebooks added the android apps support witch give it a shitton of casual games and some usefull stuff
chromebooks now allow you to add a gnu distro on top of chrome os with crouton and that can be usefull too
>the main purpose of anything google/alphabet related is to spy on you, botnetgod is unstoppable
>>
>>60901516
>the main purpose of anything google/alphabet related is to spy on you, botnetgod is unstoppable
>he believes this yet uses microsoft botnet
>>
>>60901538
ms spies on you for sure but they don"t even know what to do with the data, google master the art of mind control
>>
>>60899337
They are extremely cheap, small and have great battery life.
>>
>dirt cheap
>facebook machine
>long battery life
>lightweight

I know it's hard for you clowns to understand, by not everyone likes or wants to go through the trouble of looking for several year old used computer.
>>
>>60903359
It is hard to understand, I don't see why you'd buy new low quality hardware for the same price as old high quality hardware.
>>
>>60903382
Your grandpa can go to BestBuy right now, knowing next to nothing,and pick out a Chromebook that will be a decent Facebook machine for under $300 that's more portable than a normal laptop.

Gramps can't find a new business class laptop at a store, let a lone a used one.

You'd know this if you ever spoke to someone outside of /g/
>>
>>60903475
Even my grandpa knows how to use eBay.
>>
>>60901304
Just install whatever android document suite you prefer then
>>
>>60903475
>pick out a Chromebook that will be a decent Facebook machine for under $300
This, though to be honest most older types pick up the cheaper-end asus's and just use their phones for everything else.

>What the hell is the point of Chromebooks?
Light weight, portable, long battery life. Good for students or people that need a keyboard and portability. DESU tablets with a bluetooth keyboard work jsut as well, which is why they don't sell as much.
>>
>>60900231
>>60900210
Posting from a chromebook running lubuntu, can confirm it is max comfy
>>
>>60899337
$200 back when cheap netbooks cost more than double that. It was a cost thing
>>
>>60899337
To browse the internet and use Google products.
>>
>>60903672
>tablets with a bluetooth keyboard work jsut as well
Fuck no.
>>
>>60899337
Budget laptops. They're very lightweight, have a decent battery life and only really cheap and old ones run slow. They're still better than other budget laptops + they can run android apps, though any Linux and I'm sure windows can do the same. They're pretty much made for everything you'd need these days and if you don't like the OS you can install Gallium or another Linux distro.
Also they're good for giving less goy dollars to microsoft. You should never buy anything with windows installed.

If I ever needed a cheap laptop Chromebooks would be my first choice.
>>
>>60903808
>Fuck no.
You're saying a 10inch android tablet, with a bluetooth keyboard is functionally any different from a low cost chromebook? They're cheaper for the most part besides.
>>
>>60904173
>You're saying a 10inch android tablet, with a bluetooth keyboard is functionally any different from a low cost chromebook?
Yes, one's a shitty tablet with a shitty Bluetooth keyboard and one's a proper laptop.
>>
>>60904191
>shitty tablet with a shitty Bluetooth keyboard
The edge is palpable. Tablets are cheaper, even adding a BT keyboard, for the same amount of power to do basic tasks like browsing and document editing.

Chromebooks are literally just android tablets in a plastic shell friendo.
>>
>>60904224
I'm not trying to be edgy, dumbass.
>Chromebooks are literally just android tablets in a plastic shell friendo
And that plastic shell makes all the difference. The keyboard's physically connected to the screen physically and the motherboard electronically. Again, a proper laptop.
>>
>>60904243
>The keyboard's physically connected to the screen physically and the motherboard electronically
If you're that much of a stickler just buy one of the keyboard shells for it- And it'll still be cheaper than a chromebook and function exactly the same. For what they're used for they're functionally identical, and one has the added option of being fully touch-screen. There's a reason 2-in-1's have become popular anon.
>>
>flood the market with weak laptops
>use SSDs
>prices go up for SSD
>>
>>60904326
Most of them use flash storage, not SSD. They just say it's 'solid state' as a buzz word
>>
>>60904282
>If you're that much of a stickler just buy one of the keyboard shells for it- And it'll still be cheaper than a chromebook and function exactly the same
Or I could get a proper laptop.
>one has the added option of being fully touch-scree
My laptop's fully touchscreen and doesn't have any of that retarded detach the screen bullshit.
>There's a reason 2-in-1's have become popular anon.
Of course there is, being able to convert your laptop into a tablet is quite nice.
>>
>>60899576
Android apps and on most you can install run an instance of Ubuntu alongside ChromeOS.
>>
>>60899337
>as fast as a fat person up a hill during a heatwave.
So, faster than Windows 10 then?
>>
>>60900165
This is entirely possible you dumb fuck
>>
>>60900165
I have SeaBIOS on my Chromebook, I can even install Windows on it.
>>
File: frog.png (105KB, 883x1024px) Image search: [Google]
frog.png
105KB, 883x1024px
Got my Acer C720 for $80. Put GalliumOS on it which is Xubuntu optimized for Chromebook hardware. It works really well, I can play shit like Open Morrowind and Dwarf Fortress on it when I'm bored and it's perfect for working with C++ and Python. It's the perfect poorfag laptop once you debotnet it
>>
>>60909454
>Dwarf Fortress
>on a C720
How's that population of 20 dorfs doing?
>>
File: IMG_20160423_154747.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160423_154747.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>60900023
Can confirm
>>
>>60910018
I also dislike kikes
>>
Cheap shit for 3rd worlders, schoolchildren, your parents and grandma
>>
>>60910018
Is that a fucking mac keyboard?
>>
File: file.png (243KB, 600x352px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
243KB, 600x352px
>>60899337

>there are people on /g/ RIGHT NOW who still use ChromeOS
>>
>>60911622
No, just a chiclet keyboard.
>>
>>60911622
>big fucking apple logo at the right side of the image

gee i dont know why don't you look a little harder
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.