[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/v/ here. With the paid mods making a resurgence I totally understand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

File: 1497295905878.jpg (93KB, 720x540px)
1497295905878.jpg
93KB, 720x540px
/v/ here. With the paid mods making a resurgence I totally understand why you guys abdicate for free software so much now. People shouldn't be able to modify someone else's game (or any software for that matter) and make money off of it. Ideally the games should also be available for free, but we're not there yet.

My question is, what can be done about it? Can there be some DRM that prevents the mod from being downloaded if it detects that it was paid for? I don't know how that could be done, but maybe something that checks with Steam would be enough.
>>
Tux Racing doesnt have this problem
>>
>>60883316
This.
/thread
>>
>>60883316
/thread
>>60883333
quads confirm
>>
>>60882866
and suddenly I'm reminded why we have containment boards like /v/. seriously this is probably the most boring conversation to ever come out of game related technology. discussing entertainment and showbiz rumors or behind the scenes guff is as petty as celebrity gossip.
>>
>>60883333
quads qualify
>>
File: gno.png (847KB, 1000x669px) Image search: [Google]
gno.png
847KB, 1000x669px
>>60882866
I TRIED TO WARN YOU BUT YOU DIDN'T LISTEN
>>
there could be DRM, but it would be broken sooner or later
DRM is more of a nuisance rather than a solution
>>
>>60882866
>People shouldn't be able to modify someone else's game (or any software for that matter) and make money off of it.

You don't understand what free means. Is this subtle b8?
>>
>>60882866

Enjoy being buttfucked by the companies again, and again, and again, even there still people with hype by the shitty event that is the E3 just to be scammed like this, seriously how many times need to happen to see were it lead?
>>
>>60882866
>People shouldn't be able to modify someone else's game (or any software for that matter) and make money off of it.

Of course they should, as it stands people are already making money off of their work, like nexus, and lazy companies like Bethesda, who knows they can release some half-assed beta and people will fawn over them for releasing modding tools. Or Steam, who makes bank on selling whatever overpriced garbage anyone will buy.

What is at issue is that it is not the consumer, who should pay, just so that steam can rip off both modders and players to an even greater extent, but the companies and platforms that profit from them giving away their work.

Fat chance of that ever happening, though.
>>
>>60884563
The issue isn't the consumer paying. That's voluntary transactions all the way down.
>>
>>60884404
>official announcement
>rumors or behind the scenes guff
pick one
>>
>>60882866
Free software allows for modification for any reason even if commercial, if it's copyleft you have to share your changes
>>
>>60884608
Except the only reason this keeps popping up is that Valve is trying to increase the profits they make of modding by adding micropayments which they can them skim, even though last time showed that neither modders or consumers wanted it, and the only ones who actually sold mods had ripped them off from others. It has nothing to do with rewarding modders.
>>
Who cares, most people use mods from the Nexus website. However if they decide to lock it in with their own software, then I wouldn't be surprised if that was cracked. Either way Bethesda games are trash and modding is only there to waste even more time
>>
Fuck off and kill yourself.
>>
>>60882866

>Can there be some DRM that prevents the mod from being downloaded if it detects that it was paid for

Nigga, just... don't buy paid mods. Don't click that big green "Checkout" button and don't enter your credit card information, how hard is that? Why would you need fucking Norton Security Suite 2018 just to be sure you don't have paid mods installed? Retard.
>>
>>60884755
you do realize that paid UGC has been a thing in dota for ages now? The content creators do want it. Even in skyrim, the only ones complaining about paid mods were talentless hacks. The most prominent modders actually embraced the system or didn't' give a fuck. I'm talking people like the SkyUI guy, Chesko, etc. Not your average alienmakeup bella's enthusiast.

I will say that valve is taking too big a cut right now (the dota skin making community is getting pretty angry about it), but that isn't a fundamental issue with paid mods.
>>
File: vega strike.png (547KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
vega strike.png
547KB, 900x506px
>>60882866
>kickstart games under GPL
>create bounties for DLC
>pay developers by DLC
>???
>profit for everyone
There is even a place for bounties in free software https://www.bountysource.com/

The first to make a steam like enterprise with this wins, do you understand?
>>
File: HARMFUL @ CAT V.org.png (12KB, 930x35px) Image search: [Google]
HARMFUL @ CAT V.org.png
12KB, 930x35px
>>60882866
>/v/ here
go back
> With the paid mods making a resurgence I totally understand why you guys abdicate for free software so much now
free software is not really about that
>People shouldn't be able to modify someone else's game (or any software for that matter) and make money off of it. Ideally the games should also be available for free, but we're not there yet.
Free software accomplishes exactly the opposite. You have the freedom of making your modifications what you want. Also free licenses don't work for creative works. While there is autism like GPL3, it didnt gain much traction and it's easy to circumvent.
> My question is, what can be done about it?
Nothing. They're right! You should be free to change anything. There are licenses like ISC, MIT/X, BSD, CC0, they're pretty good.
>Can there be some DRM that prevents the mod from being downloaded if it detects that it was paid for?
No.
>I don't know how that could be done, but maybe something that checks with Steam would be enough.
What if the mod maker does not use steam?
>>
>>60882866
>why you guys abdicate for free software
That's not the right work Jugdish
>>
File: 574bb6c13deb8e0e0b287b82b.jpg (114KB, 736x744px) Image search: [Google]
574bb6c13deb8e0e0b287b82b.jpg
114KB, 736x744px
>>60884929
>There are licenses like ISC, MIT/X, BSD, CC0, they're pretty good.
Opinion discarded.
>>
File: 1495390883629.jpg (347KB, 1500x1060px) Image search: [Google]
1495390883629.jpg
347KB, 1500x1060px
The paid issue is multifaceted.

If you have paid mods then can you also have free mods? If you make a mod that does one thing and charge some amount for it. What stops me a free modder from making a similar mod and putting it out for free?
Does paid mods force the end of free mods?

The amount of money people widely will pay for mods is somewhat low, which necessitates a fake currency the content provider controls to avoid the charges that make real money micro-transactions uneconomical. One question is how granular does the official source make it? Can modders set their own price, and make it lets say 100 fun bucks that converts into 10 cents? Or are they going to stick to full dollar amounts, because as much as I love my 8K basket textures It's not worth more than 15 cents to me. Will the modder have any control over the price? Given that the content provider is going to be taking a cut how much anti piracy obligation do they have to the modders?

What happens when a modder makes a mod that works that is later invalidated by a game change or incompatible with another mod? Do they say when I made it it was working I'm not going to update and fuck your money you paid? Or do they have an obligation to fix it? If they don't want to fix it can someone else go and update it and take over the mod for new sales? If their mod breaks with another mod how much 'patching' can a new mod maker do to get that other popular mod to work?
In short what is the support obligation of a paid product?

Will this only apply to new games or are they going to try and install this into existing game mod systems?
>>
K
>>
>>60884830
>you do realize that paid UGC has been a thing in dota for ages now? The content creators do want it. Even in skyrim, the only ones complaining about paid mods were talentless hacks. The most prominent modders actually embraced the system or didn't' give a fuck. I'm talking people like the SkyUI guy, Chesko, etc. Not your average alienmakeup bella's enthusiast.

This is correct. It's quite laughable when someone says "modders don't want this", they have no clue. Seems to be all these kids around (most likely all consumers of content rather than creators of it) who assume they speak for everyone, including the content creators. "Modding" encompasses everything from some talentless kid ripping waifu models to an industry professional who creates all their own content. Why should the latter be denied selling their work?
>>
>>60882866
>People shouldn't be able to modify someone else's game (or any software for that matter) and make money off of it

Why not ? There is some work behind the mod that needs to be remunerated too
>>
>>60882866
Actually Red Hat, one of the companies who has contributed more to free software in the world, has this business model. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it.
>>
>>60882866
Nope. You can simply download the dlc for their games and install them as if they're a mod. It's pretty funny actually. They only have drm on the games executable which is something the dlc and mods don't have
>>
>>60884949
t. gnutard

GNU is cancer on the unix community. GPL is bloat. I kinda agree with your picture tho. GPL is a bastardized, barely legible deviation from good motifs like USA's constitution.
>>
>>60885090
You are just like your licenses, a scam.
>>
>>60885008
Many modders got their panties wet thinking about all the mod bucks they would make. While ignoring the difference in popularity between a free product and a for money one.
>>
People trying to make money off modifying existing retail game engines has nothing to do with free software.

It is still absolutely disgusting, as independent mod makers usually cannot bring the the same kind of quality to the table that you initially paid for. This has been a problem for a long time in simulator gaming, especially in flight sims where just being able to accurately model the airplane is enough to make a "good mod" as the physical properties are handled by the game engine,
so long as the control surfaces and wings are the right size and deflection (i.e. X-Plane). Now you are starting to see this sort of entitlement-based modding creep into racing simulators, where the data-analysis ability of the modder is more important since the cars need many mathematical values to be correct so they will behave like they do in real life, What actually happens though, is that you get a vehicle that behaves like "a car", but you can't be sure that it actually behaves like the car it's supposed to be, because the person who made it has never even seen one.

It seems to me that the emergence of paid DLC and the social stigma applied to the phrase "mod" over the course of the last console generation has created a group of people who want to be paid for making game content despite not being employed by the company who made the game and not putting forth a fraction of the effort that went into making the game content to begin with.
>>
>>60885143
>It is still absolutely disgusting, as independent mod makers usually cannot bring the the same kind of quality to the table that you initially paid for.

Lots of stress on 'usually'.
>>
A high end GPL game engine would be very useful. I'm surprised no one has tried to crowd fund something like this. It would be easy to capture many smaller UE4 and unity developers with it.

The main thing would be to keep game developers away from it during the early stages, video game engine programming is typically 100% cancer due to it paying badly compared to other programming jobs. Combined with greedy publishers most game engines are total shit inside.

If you got a bunch of experienced kernel devs and other experienced FOSS devs to work on a game engine we could probably return to the quake 3 days where 100+ FPS was common on high end hardware.
>>
The problem with the steam release is that some mods required other mods (which acted like frameworks like skse) to work. What if the framework was paid for? Also if I make the fanciest horse armor, what happens when someone rips off the horse armor and put it into their own BEST ARMOR PACK EVER! Do I get paid from BethSoft for them not catching that, does the armor pack creator pay my a percentage, or is BethSoft going to tell me to pound bricks? I am pretty sure it's going to be the last options for all as long as the company gets it's cut.
>>
>>60885170
The modding community for Monster Truck Madness has pumped out content for free since 1997, quite a bit of it superior to the content that came with the game. http://mtm2.com/

How many people would have been playing Quake II on the MSN Gaming Zone or fucking Gamespy if you had to pay for shit like Chaos Mod or Action QII?
>>
>>60885296
The system as is for Softworks (crab armor on sale) is curated with only approved mods being able to be monetized.

So it's up to BS to check the content and will likely take complains seriously. Right up until the professional scammers (like the ones banished from steam greenlight) show up and flood the system with their garbage.
>>
>>60885324
>How many people would have been playing Quake II on the MSN Gaming Zone or fucking Gamespy if you had to pay for shit like Chaos Mod or Action QII?

Who knows.

Would you pay 50 cents for a Skyrim Special Edition Script Extender which would enable porting of normal Skyrim mods that are dependent on the script extender?
25 cents for the HDT Physics in SSE?
>>
>>60885143
>It seems to me that the emergence of paid DLC and the social stigma applied to the phrase "mod" over the course of the last console generation has created a group of people who want to be paid for making game content despite not being employed by the company who made the game and not putting forth a fraction of the effort that went into making the game content to begin with.

Did you miss the part where the company who owns the IP takes a 70-90% cut from the sale of the mod?
>>
If people want to pay for mods, let them. That is true freedom.
>>
>>60885665
so the company gets dedicated employees that they don't actually have to pay, and monetary funds from the mods go into the pockets of the development team that didn't actually do what they're getting paid for.

anyone who thinks this system is good deserves their fate.
>>
>>60882866
Quite literally the same way any Steam game works, or any other service.
A game will check the Steam process to see if the game is legit.
You can cheat the system by hooking in to a certain game ID that is used for internal testing, by faking the test entirely, or having a fake Steam server that returns proper results transparently.

The latter system is harder to do, but doing so would allow you to selectively run pirated games or bought games together fairly easily.
However, given that Steam updates ALL THE FUCKING TIME, you'd likely get caught out fairly quickly when they do a simple change and you are caught hitting the old URL while past the login confirmation, which should not be possible unless your login session is older than the rollout date for the update.
So, stay fucking logged in forever.

Also, fuck /v/ and their leeches.
Literally nothing wrong with paid mods.
As long as it isn't paid only mods all is well. Not that it would matter, modders would just hack in free mod systems regardless. In fact, it'd likely happen even if they have a mod API.
What I would be for instead is have paid mods only allowed if you yourself as a modder hand over say, $50-$100, so it won't get flooded with shit-tier mods of people trying to make a quick buck.
It will still get shitty mods here and there even with this, but it will keep a fuckton of shit mods out made by some 12 year olds with the SDK.
(or just SELL the SDK, simpler)
>>
>>60882866
> People shouldn't be able to modify someone else's game (or any software for that matter) and make money off of it.

Free software is all about providing the source code. Not selling. Here: https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.en.html
>>
>>60886027
>anyone who thinks this system is good deserves their fate.

Yeah, I'm sure the CSGO skin makers who are millionaires have been hard done by.

It has yet to be seen how Bethesda will handle this but unless they offer sufficient recompense then nobody who can make decent content will bother contributing to it anyway.
>>
File: Richard Stallman arrested.webm (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Richard Stallman arrested.webm
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>60884457
WE DIDN'T LISTEN
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.