[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RIP sysadmins/NOC admins/any IT production infrastructure jo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: docker02.png (15KB, 792x269px)
docker02.png
15KB, 792x269px
RIP sysadmins/NOC admins/any IT production infrastructure jobs. How does it feel that you are going to be replaced by AWS/Azure/GCloud and Docker/Rancher/Kubernetes?

https://techcrunch.com/2016/04/07/devops-is-dead-long-live-devops/
>>
Settle down pajeet.
>>
>>60862526
ELI5 what are Docker, Azure, Rancher?
>>
>>60862526
the jobs aren't going away they might get more centralized
>>
>>60862827

and they will acquire additional duties.
>>
The whole point of Docker/Rancher/Kubernetes/Mesos is to minimize barriers to portability between different public clouds, private clouds, and bare metal. This is good for sysadmins since it means less time installing and tweaking shit and more time doing productive work (or shitposting on /g/ and watching anime). I'm pushing our developers to use docker for their next release to prevent our customers from fucking it all up and creating dozens of makework support calls out of fixing deployments.

t. sysadmin
>>
>>60862526
Lol man I work at a big tech company as a senior systems engineer on "devops" team. I'm here to tell you that while I'm automating away the jobs of noc and ops folks, those jobs aren't going anywhere anytime soon. We will replace ops folks with people that can program, but the current ones will learn more programming skills or be lost to attrition. The ones that can't hack it will still be needed for support roles.
>>
>>60862922
Their sacrifices of blood, tears, sweat, and pain will fuel the beasts that are faxes, printers, and desktop support. PC LOAD LETTER ftaghn!
>>
We actually moved away from the cloud, costs way too much and we've had issues with cloud providers lying to us about the hardware for dedicated hosts. To put our current infrastructure into the cloud would be into the millions per month, hosting our own is substantially cheaper and let's us get away with whatever we want.

Funny though, we are actually prepping to start using k8s in our DCs to replace plain docker hosts.
>>
>>60862922
So ops teams are just going to become programmers? Also what is there to support if everything is in the cloud?
>>
>>60864732
>Also what is there to support if everything is in the cloud?
Desktops, laptops, routers, switches, faxes, printers, phones, and everything else that still has to be on site. "Everything in the cloud" is a meme unless your company is entirely virtual with everyone doing 100% remote work and all the financial stuff outsourced.
>>
>>60862920
>docker
>production
Its almost as if you want to get shafted in the ass
t. docker developer who unironically hates Docker
>>
>>60864732
>what is there to support if everything is in the cloud
Who supports the shit in the cloud?
>>
>>60865004
It's a server "application" that includes two different DBMSes and half a dozen binaries. Docker at least gets me some ability to separate its horrific Eichenwaldian tentacles from the rest of the OS.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.