[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /g/ I had the opportunity to get hold of a cheap asu

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: img_0256.jpg (47KB, 700x460px) Image search: [Google]
img_0256.jpg
47KB, 700x460px
Hello /g/

I had the opportunity to get hold of a cheap asus gtx 970 strix. I already have a palit 970.

I'm planning on running them in SLI, however i'm not sure whether it will work. I know the PCBs on the 970 vary a lot or something. Will it work?

here they are:
https://www.asus.com/uk/Graphics-Cards/STRIXGTX970DC2OC4GD5/

and the one i already have in my pc:
http://www.palit.com/palit/vgapro.php?id=2406

obviously, if the strix is clocked higher i will be limited to the clock of the palit, but will they be compatible for SLI?

and im using a 2600k OC 4.1ghz and 700w psu
>>
>>60843859
>3.5gb

Don't SLI this card man. Just don't do it.
>>
Yes, they should theoretically be SLI-compatible. All it'd take if clocks matter is overclocking your current card to match
If they don't SLI, just sell it for a profit :^)
>>
>>60843929
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>60843859

Don't SLI, ever.

Sell them to a sucker who wants to anyway and buy a better GPU.
>>
>>60843952
This. I've run SLI twice in my life, once with GTX260c216 and once with GTX460, and both times it's been a waste for most games. Not worth the heat, noise, power, and money investment.
>>
>>60843929
yeah i was worried about the PCB being different in the two cards, or the fact that the ASUS is OC'd out of the box fucking up the SLI

if it doesn't work ill just sell them and get a 1070

>>60843952
iv heard this and thought this in the past, but im gonna give it a crack. I want to see for myself if SLI is actually as shit as people often say
>>
Just wait for Volta GeForce consumer cards and replace the GTX 970

Don't bother with SLI
>>
>>60843971
yeah

theres also the chance that my 700w PSU might not be enough to power everything, but i'm not sure. As I said if it doesn't work ill sell them and get a 1070 but im curious if the two cards will actually function in SLI
>>
>>60843988
ive already bought the second 970, it was a very good price so if i sell it ill at least break even on it even with ebay commission or whatever
>>
>>60844023
then why haven't you just plugged the fucking thing in and tried?

- All graphics cards must have the same GPU
(This means the model name for the GPU. An EVGA GTX480 FTW Edition is simply a GTX480 in terms of SLI.)
-- You can only use SLI with two, three or four or more Identical GPUs.

There are exceptions to this rule, but only with very old hardware so I have omitted them.
Note: Be careful with the extensions on GPUs. An extension denotes a totally different GPU. For example the GTX460SE, GTX560Ti and GTX Titan are not SLI capable with the GTX460, GTX560 and GTX Titan Black respectively. If you are unsure what extensions exist, check Geforce.com

- All GPUs must have the same amount of VRAM and an identical Bus Width
-- You cannot use a "2GB" version with a "4GB" version or "3GB" version with a "6GB" version in SLI or a 1GB 192 bit bus with a 1GB 256 bit bus Etc.
Note: It used to be possible to enable SLI on cards with differing VRAM but this is no longer available.
Note: In SLI the amount of usable VRAM does not stack. It works like a RAID1 hard disk array where data is mirrored between each GPU. For example, having 3 GPUs with 4GB VRAM means you will only have 4GB available, not 12GB.
>>
>>60844068
i haven't got it yet, wont have it for a week or so and was just curious.

Thanks for the info, the thing im wondering is that the 970 is unique in that a reference edition wasnt released, which means the PCBs vary between brands which means SLI may not function (that is stuff i've read, and im not sure as to the veracity of it)
>>
Is it good for mining?

I am in similar situation here
>>
>>60843859
Technically possible. Logically its just retarded. What is "cheap" to you? These cards still sell around 150 € here. You are going to buy a 3 year old used card probably without warranry.

Sell your card and take the money for a 1070, if you need more performance. The 1070 is better in any way and even on tight budget there should be used ones slightly above 300 €/$.
>>
>>60843999
Rule of thumb you only SLI top cards. For all other cases buy a better card.
I SLI 1080s because there was nothing better in the day. Currently on majority of AAA games the performance is more than a 1080ti and is usually very smooth no complaints, I play almost all games 144hz 1440p.

If you really wish to SLI, all same chip cards are compatible; the bridge connector is always on same position and both cards will run the lowest frequency both accepts.
>>
>>60843999
Pau is fine if your psu is of quality brand. I'm using a seasonic gold with hdd raid plus nvm, aio and oc CPU all on a 850w psu with 2x1080s
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.