[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are laptops worthless in the year of 2017 >Surpassed by tablets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

File: unnamed.png (97KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
97KB, 443x332px
Are laptops worthless in the year of 2017

>Surpassed by tablets at media consumption on portability and performance

>Surpassed by smartphones at media consumption on price and portability

>Surpassed by desktop PCs at media production on price and performance

So... What's the point of laptops these days? They serve for nothing.
>>
>>60843076
Smartphones and tablets don't have a keyboard, except >muh surface. Desktops aren't portable, even at mITX.
>>
>>60843076
I use them for crypto-currency proof-of-stake mining

raspberry pi is just a bit too weak for that.
>>
>>60843076
this is good thrad
>>
only the shittiest laptops are outclassed by mediocre tablets.

you can buy a fucking desktop PC with a 1.4 GHz CPU in it.
>>
>>60843076
With laptop I can go to starbucks and write code there. I can't do the same with iMac(no, don't post that picture) or a tablet.
>>
File: images (5).jpg (17KB, 507x290px) Image search: [Google]
images (5).jpg
17KB, 507x290px
>>60843262
Who says you can't?
>>
>>60843262
Why the fuck would you go to Starbucks to write code?
>>
>>60843291
It's too ronery at home ;_;
>>
>>60843288
lol. Enjoy you're back pain.
>>
>>60843312
>ronery
Kek
>>
>>60843076
They're pretty good IMO. Has actual keyboard and doesn't afraid of anything.
>>
>>60843076
Portability nothing else
>>
>>60843288

Anyone got that picture with the carrying case?
>>
>>60843076
>What's the point of laptops these days?
Do you have a job?
Because I have a job.
Do you know how useful it is to have a proper computer connected to your workplace vpn?
It's very useful.
A laptop is much more easier to manage databases and spreadsheets on that a tablet.
Have you ever wrote a formal email on a tablet?
Have you ever operated multi-million dollar machinery? It's much easier with a pc than a tablet.

So yeah, laptops are for people with jobs.
Tablets are for women.
>>
>>60846253
This, laptops are for working people. Tablets are consumer shit
>>
>Surpassed by tablets at media consumption on portability and performance
Tablets are neat and all until you have to type something, and they're certainly not more powerful.
>Surpassed by smartphones at media consumption on price and portability
Screen's too small, plus my laptop cost less than my phone.
>Surpassed by desktop PCs at media production on price and performance
Not portable.
>>
>>60843076
They have their uses. I much prefer Desktops but I have an MSI GS63VR because I'm in the military and I move around a lot but still want to game. I might sell it and buy a desktop though I've severely beat this machine up already so I doubt I'll get a very good resale.
>>
When you want to use a computer but are not at home, you use a laptop.
E.g.:
●Sleepovers (inb4 are you 12)
●Holiday/business trip
●Doing a computing event IRL
I'm thinking of buying a laptop soon to have an independent environment to do my hacking shit so my poor desktop doesn't get raped by any more software
>>
>>60843076
Samsung Chromebook Pro
>>
>>60846253
>Tablets are for women.
Perhaps those women can help you with your English?
"more easier"?
"Have you every wrote"?
Really?
>>
Can't use desktops in the bed. A few Thinkpads solve this problem.
>>
>>60843098
Hello.
>> sent from my Priv
>>
>>60846608
Kys
>>
>>60846671
Mah nigga
>>
Use an gaymin laptop for controlling and machine-vision controlled golfcart (MSc thesis) because, you know, portability on a fucking car. I cannot use a pc nor a tablet to do that. However I use a tablet for on the go reading so it's kinda consumer stuff, like
>>60846320 and >>60846253 kinda said.
>>
This thread was definitely made by someone without a job.

I'm in the Army and frequently have to leave home. You know that place I keep my wife, kids, dog, and desktop. So a laptop was needed for me to do my homework on the go and some gaming. Can't run Windows server VMs on a tablet
>>
File: BA6OJ-ACQAAhuKy (2).jpg (64KB, 523x600px) Image search: [Google]
BA6OJ-ACQAAhuKy (2).jpg
64KB, 523x600px
>>60846608
>he doesn't speak UK English
>>
>>60846778
>Army
>homework
Sadfrog.jpg
>>
>>60846253
>having to work when you're not at the office
Sounds like you have a shit job.
>>
>>60846795
>wanting to be restricted to working in an office
Why would you want a shit job?
>>
>>60846792

Never got the chance to go to college. Had to use those early years after high school cause my parents were shit and quit their jobs to stay home an do nothing. Now that it's free I'm trying to get my degree at the same time. It's not easy while in but nothing worth it ever is
>>
>>60846795
>Being stuck in the office
Enjoy the eye cancer from the fluorescent lights and having to listen to Julie from accounts go on about her corns.

Come visit us in the boardroom sometime. Bring coffee.
>>
>>60846831
>>60846809
>quiet, free food, $2000 Herman Miller chairs, $1000 4k monitors
>what an oppressive work environment! I'll take my laptop to the local Starbucks instead!
>>
>>60846815
Hope stuff goes better for you Anon, sounds like you deserve it.
>>
>>60843262
You can't run a text editor or remote desktop into your desktop on a tablet? And you call yourself a programmer?
>>
Laptop + mechanical keyboard (TKL or 60%) beats everything
>>
>>60846858
>quiet, free food, $2000 Herman Miller chairs, $1000 4k monitors
No thanks
>>
>>60846671
my brotha from another motha
>>t. passport
>>
>>60843076
Up until recently I would get mad if I had to type as much as an address on a tablet, but recently I found a non-shit keyboard so it's not that bad. Still wouldn't type more than 2 sentences on that.
>>
>>60846928
Why would you carry around a laptop if you're going to use a mechanical keyboard with it? A tablet with a Bluetooth 60% mech is the best setup, and you can just VNC into your desktop at home if you ever need access to a desktop OS on the go
>>
>>60846858
Who let you have those? That guy should be fired. Complete waste of finances.

Bring me the receipts, and send Julie in to me.
>>
>>60846671
>>60846958
>tfw poorfag Q10
I want to get Passport Silver, but can't really justify it and I want buy some HDDs for RAID as well.
>>
>>60847001
Q10's a better phone anyway
>>
>>60846585
chromebook and pro don't belong in the same sentence
>>
>>60847001
I traded a HTC M9 and a moto 360 1st for mine
still pricey af here for a passport silver. I'm considering on moving up to a priv though after it gets nougat.
call me a normalfag but while love the 1:1 aspect ratio and the os being spesifically designed around the hardware, I just cant deal with decreasing app library and software compatibility mess that comes with the android subsystem. It's not bb10's fault but more how apps are not being written with bb10 in mind and the fact that bb10 itself is a dead platform
though if you dont have the issues Im having the passport is a beautiful device
otherwise its too late to jump in right now and I'd just recommend you jump to the keyone or priv if youre really broke
>>
>>60847086
>>60843076

A 6 year old laptop matches phone and tablet portability. Where can you take a tablet that you can't take a laptop? I can walk as far carrying a laptop as I can naked.

It has a better price than phone and tablet.

Performance wise it's the middle ground. Well middle ground is a little misleading. It's closer to a desktop than laptop.

Then you have all kinds of issues like being upgradeable, user serviceable, and no walled garden.

For the consumer market their days are numbered. I don't see it as getting wedged between desktops and tablets though. As compute per watt increases the size of the required device decreases. It was felt first in desktops. The desktop market felt it first. Laptop's last stand will be at the keyboard. That physical full sized keyboard is the defining difference between laptop and tablet. I wish someone would get on bringing mind reading text input devices to the market. The tech and know how is already there. It's been done in small scale experiments reading electrical impulses in the brain. That will be the death of laptops but by that time tablet sized machines will probably have the performance of laptops anyway.

Most people have no idea what the significance of the word compute in computer has. Anything can watch youtube and post on facebook. Choice in this market is pretty much a fashion choice. Whenever a new phone comes out and a thread is made about it here, the first criticisms are aesthetics and brand. Things like eww rounded corners or samshit. It's the same as with clothes. That's on a technology board known for install gentoo for fucks sake.
>>
>>60847445
*closer to a desktop than a tablet
>>
You can get actual work done on a laptop.

>>60846608
>Really?

>>>/fa/
>>
>>60847445
dude why are you replying to me I literally had nothing to say about the topic. I'm talking about the death of BB 10 and my inevitable return to android even though I feel BB 10 is superior.

Honestly the current smartphone and tablet trend is trying to get rid of the tactility of keyboards and pen and paper so the moment somebody can emulate a key being pressed down on a glass screen you know laptops are going to die. Go to your social media of choice, whether its 4chan reddit or even facebook (I aint judging) open up any android related page and find some article about the keyone. youll find a shit load of people commenting about how useless physical keyboards are

as for my own opinion, since youve baited me into typing this far, the moment you can get content production off laptops and desktops at that moment both platforms are strictly gaming machines for the most of the market.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.