[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What technologies should you not cheap out on? What doesn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 5

File: 1892273811.png (173KB, 1153x403px) Image search: [Google]
1892273811.png
173KB, 1153x403px
What technologies should you not cheap out on?

What doesn't make a difference?
>>
>>60841151
>buys $300 cable
>uses Oppo
>>
PSUs and UPSs. Ive learned this the hard way more than once, and seen it happen to others enough to know why the last purchase on which you should think about being thrifty is the power supply.
>>
>>60841196
This.
>>
CPU and GPU.

Cheaping out on PSU is disastrous.

Cheaping out on cooling if doing intense tasks also.

Ah yes, monitors. I know a dude who is rocking xeon and is still using CRT monitor with a fucking adapter on his 1070.
>>
>>60841151
>>60841172
I line out from my onboard soundcard to my amp to my LCD-2

Don't buy headphones under $400, go IEM in that case.
>>
On the other hand, RAM will work no matter how cheap and China-tier it looks nor how many bright LEDs and expensive gimmicky shit it comes with. So you're more than safe buying cheap but standards compliant memory sticks
>>
>>60841172
the price is for 12 metres, customers' verification was for 2 metres
>>
>>60841218
>I know a dude who is rocking xeon and is still using CRT monitor with a fucking adapter on his 1070.

What's wrong with this?
>>
>>60841151
>phone chargers
My quality $25 charger is 15x faster than my shitty $4 ones, and not as much of a fire hazard. This is especially true for multiport chargers.
>>
File: 1490466578848.gif (177KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
1490466578848.gif
177KB, 160x160px
>>60841301
oh, it's this guy again
>>
>>60841151
chargers and to a lesser extent cables
PSU
>>
>>60841301

He is super retarded with refresh rate ripping his eyes. and playing games on low resolution
>>
https://www.amazon.com/WireWorld-Platinum-Starlight-Cable-Meter/dp/B00KY2NKCO/
>>
>>60841301
Using an adapter is not great
better to use a GPU-integrated ADC or else just surrender to The Gaymen Monitor
>>
Never cheap out on a PSU.

When it goes bad, the best case scenario is that your computer doesn't turn on.
The other scenario is that it fries your components.
Worst case, it burns down your house.

Say no to chink PSU.
>>
PSU! My cousin bought some chink PSU and the first time he powered it on it made a loud pop. Took down the power to his house for a few seconds also. A cheap PSU can easily catch on fire and either destroy your PC and setup or burn down your house.
>>
>>60841151
SSD
>>
HDMI is digital. Makes no fucking difference unless you live in some power plant where you get EM interferences everywhere.
>>
>>60841517
>After the purchase, my wife left me. That's why I gave it 5 stars.
heh
>>
>>60841301
Nothing, people who don't know the beauty of a high-quality CRT will think it's somehow bad though.
>>
>>60841196
Is there really any good reason for anyone on /g/ to own a UPS for home use when all they own are overspecd gaming computers?
>>
>>60842522
Useful when on Sunday mom turns on the electric oven and the laundry machine at the same time
>>
>>60841151
Power supplies. Never cheap out. Buying a shitty one will have a risk of it burning down your components.
Had a shitty no brand PSU burn down a motherboard after 5 years of use and a cheapo Corair burn my GPU.
>>
>>60841251
This but run memtest twice a year to be safe.
>>
>>60841151
Anything that distributes power to another devicr
>>
>>60841151
18650 cells
Never buy any of these chinese xxxFire cells
They will do what they called... Burn!
>>
>>60843185
I bought 3 years ago Chieftec PSU 700W.

I assume I should btfo it for modular gold one ?

CONFIG now

i7 4770k
gtx770
2x8gb ram
ssd 256gb
hdd 1tb wd green( had no money )
>>
>>60843185

Here's the model

https://ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1509
>>
>>60841222
You use on board for $1000 headphones? What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
don't cheap out on a desk. it's gonna be the place you sit at for 5-10 years usually before moving/replacing it. particle board desks look good for about 2 weeks before they start chipping all over the place and look like absolute trash.

even if you just get a nice hunk of wood and attach home depot pipes as legs, it's better than a trash particle board desk.

a lot of people say "get a $1000 chair" but you can literally use a metal folding chair and it will force better posture than those "comfy gaming chairs".
>>
>>60841151
Never cheap out on a PSU.
>>
File: 1492979766011.gif (474KB, 500x272px) Image search: [Google]
1492979766011.gif
474KB, 500x272px
>>60841196
>tfw 80+ Titanium is mandatory in my builds
>>
>>60842522
In case of power outages you can finish masterbeitign
>>
>>60843657
The worst is ikea furniture. I actually drove to an ikea to check out their shit since everybody on the internet shilled so hard for their desks and chairs, and it was all crap. Like unimaginably low quality cheap feeling junk.
>>
>>60842522
>Is there really any good reason for anyone on /g/ to own a UPS for home use when all they own are overspecd gaming computers?
If you care about your data, of any kind, you should get a UPS.

4-5 years ago when I was still using Windows, blackout happened when I was in the middle of doing some work and when the power came back on, Windows7 threw a shitfit and reported all kinds of errors. Had to reinstall eventually. ALso, I lost some data as well.

Power failure and drives don't mix.
>>
>>60843829
With everybody putting SSD's in their systems now it's even more important. HDD's don't really give a shit if the power just suddenly cuts out, but an SSD can get itself fucked and require you to spend an hour powercycling the god damn thing before it will work again.
>>
>>60841251
I swear every time I have bought PNY Value RAM it has gone bad within a year and I've had to get it replaced under warranty. That's like 5 times over the past 10 years. The replacements are always fine but it's a hassle.
>>
>>60841151
You should cheap out on everything, if you mean getting the best price/value combo by it.
>>
>>60843879
This is 100% correct. SSDs cache a ton of data and very little of it is actually properly written due to TRIM. Not allowing it to power down properly can result in huge losses of data.
>>
>>60843879
Fug
they don't have the internal batteries/design to survive a computer being unplugged during an operation?
>>
>>60843094
did you know that you can separate your power lines in house by multiple circuit breakers not one....
>>
>>60843902
I thought TRIM was just a native delete command?

You have to wipe sectors before you can re-write to them, this coincides nicely with our premise of Deletion, etc
>>
>>60843902
You should also consider UPS for more than simple blackouts. The power in your wall isn't some binary thing that's either 120V or 0V. It fluctuates +/- a few volts, and in bad situations you can get a "brownout" where it doesn't cut out completely but drops down to like 80V instead.

Depending on how shit your PSU is, it might not be able to deal with it and your computer could still cut off even though the power never fully turned off.
>>
>>60843913
>they don't have the internal batteries/design to survive a computer being unplugged during an operation?
That's what a UPS is.
>>
>>60842522
Whether you're gaming or working, you'd want to be able to shut down properly. That >>60843954 too
>>
>>60843914
We have 1.5kW peak allowed by the electrical company on their main controller, electronic, actually you can ask to unlock it and I think every electric meter installed can go up to 6kW with a software switch but you have to pay something.
>>
>>60843497
what's wrong with running wd greens? I have a 2tb one that's been going strong for like 5 years.
>>
>>60843969
I meant integrated into the SSD

so that you can just plug an SSD into a consumer computer plugged straight into the wall, and if you yank the power cord while your game is saving your data doesn't actually get raped

it boggles the mind a bit that they'd design SSDs to not cope with that situation
>>
>>60844089
>your data doesn't actually get raped
*I didn't mean data,
I mean obviously it's fully reasonable expected that the last number of writes up to the cache size may or may not be randomized or skipped completely

but like the device actually being fucked up in some way from a mere power outage is screwy
I mean (((current year))) and all that
>>
File: 1347657097502.gif (216KB, 350x186px) Image search: [Google]
1347657097502.gif
216KB, 350x186px
>>60844120
What if they made a PSU that could double as a battery in case it loses power from the wall?
>>
>>60844151
It would be huge and super expensive and wouldn't even fit in a full ATX tower.
>>
>>60843902
>SSDs
Say it with me boys,
G O O D
O
Y
>>
>>60844151
That would be stupid. It would be much cheaper and more compact to have the PSU charge a standard battery. That said, a computer uses a lot of power. To run the shit for more than a few minutes, you need a decent LitOi battery.
>>
>>60844151
Basically an in-chassis UPS

UPS+PSU

UPSU
>>
>>60842522
Home servers with RAID arrays which need to shut down safely.
>>
Multimeter! If you spent under $100 you got a tool you can't trust, if you spent under $50 you got a tool that might actually injure you

Also DSOs, if you spent under $400 you either got a hell of a deal or a shitty toy with sample rate so low you can't use it for anything but audio signals
>>
winter tires - crash
smoke detectors - fire
shoes - feet/spine problems
power supply/UPS - surges
anything AMD - drivers
>>
>>60841196

still have a decent 6 year old mid-high tier antec 80+gold psu that was built by delta before 80+titaniums were a thing, the only thing I regret is not getting a fully modular psu

in the future it's definitely going to be a fully modular 80+ titanium or better
>>
>>60841330
Nigger just calculate the wattage on comparable chargers and whatever outputs the most will charge the fastest, until it reaches the USB standard limit.
>>
Long CAT cables. If you're going more than 50 feet or so, get some Belden because they actually validate their cables before selling them. The rest of China just stamps "compliant" on shit and nobody checks it.
>>
>>60845676
Yeah nah, buying cheap Chinese usb chargers is how you brick your device or kill yourself when mains power leaks through it.

They don't contain any of the safety components and design rules that a western charger is required to have.
>>
>>60841517
and now the kicker: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004M66QTW/
>>
File: directional ethernet cables.png (211KB, 1025x495px) Image search: [Google]
directional ethernet cables.png
211KB, 1025x495px
>>60841151
I can see those cables have directional indicators.

Sign of a good cable.
>>
>>60841196
Ive always had absolute shit tier psus and never had any issues. Meanwhile everyones 80+ diamond plated gold psu is dead. So from my experience ur all getting railed by jews.
>>
>>60841151
PSU
Anything related to storage
GPUs if you need one. It's better to save up $100-$300 for a good GPU than to buy inefficient garbage.

RAM is safe to cheap out on, so are cables. Headphones, mice and keyboards should be bought cheap (unless wireless), expensive ones are placebo.
>>
>>60843914
You have a main breaker of something (30A or 40A, unless you have more than one line into your home in which case each line would have a main 30A or 40A breaker) and then you have break outs to 10A or 15A breakers for different parts of your home.

So it's possible to load up different sub breakers enough to trip the main breaker without tripping a lower breaker first, and there's generally nothing you can do about it because of how the wiring is structured for the house. Maybe you can move some appliances around so that you are more likely to trip a sub breaker instead but you'll still probably be tripping the breaker all the time.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.