[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how exactly did you land your first job, /g/? im going for my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: will work for free.jpg (22KB, 344x512px) Image search: [Google]
will work for free.jpg
22KB, 344x512px
how exactly did you land your first job, /g/?

im going for my first, and every agency i talk to either blows me off, or tells me either i need years of experience or a 2:1 or better degree to get to the interview stage for the given job i applied for.

hell, even the shop jobs ask for experience, or make you take a quizz that automatically rejects you if you select a single wrong response.
>>
Applying to small businesses so I could bypass HR departments, since they literally never hire white men for graduate positions. Reminder, if there are a lot of crazies feminazis where you live, don't apply to anywhere with over 1000 employees, they'll basically reject you for "cultural reasons."

I'm a fairly decent candidate though, I get a lot of the "someone else will probably hire him" effect which fucks me over when everyone turns out not to be the someone else.

Lastly, do not under any circumstances feel bad, it really is just the times we're living in. Only skilled brown women with local citizenship are having an easy time finding employment, from there it steadily drops off depending on how few of these characteristics you have.
>>
>>60839967
so would i be best off just swinging by individual development houses and dropping off a CV? i dont really have anything to sing about, im graduating with an ordinary degree (ungraded, only a pass or a fail basically), my focus was largely on AI, and i have no work experience.

im probably gonna put in a few hours on github projects though at some point to make myself appealing, having code i can point to would probably be helpful i imagine.
>>
>>60840693
How is a degree ungraded? Do you mean you just have some kind of technical qualification, like a first aid course or something? Do you not have a GPA or a WAM? Most places usually look for at least a Credit.

You're on the right track with the github projects, building a portfolio to show that you've done things that are worthwhile and relevant to what they're looking for is more important than whatever marks you got.
>>
>>60840792
>How is a degree ungraded?
in england at least there are two kinds of degrees, honours degrees which are graded in the ordered set {first, upper second, lower second, third, pass, fail}, and ordinary degrees which are either pass or fail. i failed a second semester module last year and couldnt retake it without doing another year (which i cant afford right now).

first thing im going to do is extend my single layer sigmoid net to be a feedforward neural network with backpropagation for its learning system. ill get regression down first, then ill see if i can get classification, then ill see if i can put together a sane input system for it.
>>
I do it for free. Literally.
>>
File: ha ha! time for 4chan.jpg (46KB, 350x447px) Image search: [Google]
ha ha! time for 4chan.jpg
46KB, 350x447px
>>60839832
Small company, recruiting directly, not through any HR people, being interviewed only by technical people. Try positions where they look for students, might want to check on websites with generic ads, like craigslist or Gumtree, not ones specifically and exclusively for job offers.

Once you get a job, put on your LinkedIn that you are employed, and you can start expecting getting messages from HR people with serious job offers.
Besides that, put your personal experience as 9001 years of "Freelance" in the job section, just don't mention you weren't doing anything or much for money, only list your technical achievements. HR people fall for this easily, and you start your second real job as an expert with 5+ years of experience in the field. During interviews you can focus on your previous place of work, since they will often ask about what have you been doing so far/previously, and you can also mention your other, personal achievements, even if your first real job was some bullshit without much to achieve.

Also, never make your CV/resume more than one single A4 page, if you just start your career. If you go over the limit, review it, see what you can shorten, and see what is irrelevant that can be removed. If you want to use space more efficiently, put some of the content in two columns, useful for splitting space for short inserts, like your hobbies, languages you speak, contact information. It looks much better if it's not only a single line, because of how wide your text area is.
You can get up to two A4 pages once you really have a lot of experience (3+ jobs, non-job achievements). Remove old entries, especially if they are irrelevant, or just leave them as a single line per entry, including only job position title, maybe company and city/country.
>>
>>60841266
thanks for the advice m8, my CV is mostly padded with bullshit about my other hobbies because ive got nothing but education behind me
>>
File: epic fa- success.gif (485KB, 134x197px) Image search: [Google]
epic fa- success.gif
485KB, 134x197px
>>60841496
And I had no education when getting my first job. 2+ years of NEETing, but in the end it was worth it.
My CV was:
Skills – half a page of very generic keyword + long description and technologies/skills
Experience –three short lines for: some internship, a pet project I felt was notable (VPS hosting), education (which I dropped out of before finishing, but have not mentioned that; felt it was worth noting, since it had "Computer Science" in it)
A section for achievements – literally: Installed Gentoo, with some mentions on what was interesting in it (ZFS, full disk encryption); participation in Google Code-In which I have took part in few years earlier (GSoC for underage b&); 1/3 page for it all
Final two sections in two columns, since they are short: languages I know, some hobbies (make sure to include your skills there), address/contact info

That was for a Sysadmin role, for programming you might include programming achievements, some links to programming projects you worked on. Be careful with linking to your github account directly, as you might have some bullshit there. I have been once asked about "ponysay" I had in my .bash_profile, which was a reimplementation of cowsay, that I liked at the time (and that have been in my configs repo which I haven't updated since few years).

General rule is: put good things in your resume, turn bad things into good things, if you can't, keep parts that put you in bad light unmentioned. Lying on CV is bad, but no one says you have to include the whole truth.
>>
>>60839832
if you're not getting interviews, you need to improve your resume

if you're not passing interviews, you need to work on your people skills, or your whiteboarding skills
>>
>>60839832
I put my resume on monster then got a job after 3 months. Went to a bunch of interviews fucked up a lot then finally learned what to do.
>>
connections or apply like mad

eventually someone will take a chance if you work hard to make yourself employable
>>
>>60839832
Worked on various personal projects and did some contract work for various tasks. It was enough to make getting my first job a piece of cake since it filled out my resume nicely
>>
File: haha-business.jpg (269KB, 640x972px) Image search: [Google]
haha-business.jpg
269KB, 640x972px
>>60841496
Get some zero-hours shit then. It takes a long time to succeed for a lot of people. I left university in 2008, was NEET, worked with Poles who barely spoke English in a warehouse from 2010-11, saved up, moved to a city, did telesales, did IT telesales, was NEET a few more times, then quit to get a CompTIA A+ and that, shockingly, got me a real job. I was only there for four months before they fired like half the IT department for just being shitters like me, then I had eight more NEET months, and now I work in a data centre and I'm very good at it.

Just ignore the "experience" requirements on any job advert, by the way. Anything up to two years of experience is just something they would like. And if they don't hire you, so what? Fuck 'em. Be glad that you at least wasted their fucking time.
>>
I had a friend who started working for a company that we both had used the service of.

He said I should apply so I was like ok. I did, got an interview didn't get the position since I was attending a master's program. Got real bummed, thought about shooting myself since I was getting nothing but denials for 6 months (I am completely serious).

Told my parents I'm dropping out of master's since it wasn't applicable and I have no experience, don't want to waste money. They were pissed, this made me even sadder and more driven to thinking about suicide.

Then I noticed that the internship was open again at where my friend worked. I applied every time for it when it was up. I didn't here anything for months, thought I got denied again so applied elsewhere. Got a crap job but easy job doing WordPress work. 1 week in I get a call that I got the internship.

Internship went great, and it turned into a full time job doing exactly what I was doing during the internship. They were extremely pleased with me. Verbatim from coworker "you're the most competent and effective intern we've had". Made me feel good, for once I was doing something I liked, paid well (my wage during internship was the same as a Jr's salary).

It's still surreal knowing I get paid to casually work on stuff, talk with chill coworkers and get paid pretty well for someone with no experience.

I'm so glad I dropped out if the master's program, even if it made me sad and suicidal for a time it worked out thankfully.
>>
I graduated with 2 associates in applied science this past semester, but I'm having trouble even finding potential jobs (fucking Ohio). How does /g/ go about looking for opportunities?
>>
>>60845209
If they're are meetups for stuff you like (say python). Go. There's always recruiters for companies there looking to hire.
>>
Was given to me and I got shoehorned into someone else's position. Didn't have to apply I just flat out was told "this is your job, do it"
I don't like it because I didn't earn it
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.