[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok, /g/. I'm kind of been out of the loop for a while with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: m2ssd.jpg (22KB, 266x200px) Image search: [Google]
m2ssd.jpg
22KB, 266x200px
Ok, /g/. I'm kind of been out of the loop for a while with components. These new SSDs are a little confusing to me, usage wise. I understand that they are much faster, but I don't quite understand what you should be designating to run off the SSD? I've gotten mixed responses from techs some saying put only things like your operating system and frequently used programs on it, and put games and platforms like Steam/Origin on your HDD. Then I've been told completely the opposite by others, and to put all my games on to the SSD. Who's right, is anyone right? I'm completely ignorant to this kind of thing, so apologies if this is a simple/stupid question.

The computer I'm building will be for gaming and entertainment.
>>
>>60825579
if this thread 404s try putting it on the stupid questions general. I would help you, but I'm a poor fag brainlet
>>
M.2 is a form factor, not the connection

a M.2 SSD is not faster than a SATA SSD, now NVMe is where the crazy speed is, because it uses PCI-E for data transfer
>>
>>60825579
Your games and programs won't load any quicker on a nvme ssd, keep that in mind. Generally, put your OS on the ssd, and anything else you use often. Use HDD for backups and all your other shit that won't fit on the ssd.
>>
If you want something to load quickly, put it on the SSD, everything else goes onto the HDD. It's that simple, I personally have the OS, non-game software and some loading-heavy games on the SSD with media, lighter games, backups and other random junk on the HDDs.
>>
File: 1496711465762.jpg (26KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1496711465762.jpg
26KB, 512x512px
>>60826022
>Data on SSD doesn't load any faster than data on slow-ass HDD

That's not how it works...
>>
don't be a jew and just buy one that's big enough to hold everything
>>
>>60827169
I don't know if you're trolling because for me, you're right.
Like, are we sorting between HDD and SSD for a reason other than optimizing SSD storage ?
>>
>>60825579
Games onto a SFS file on the SSD write-backed with a HDD file, changes merged monthly
>>
>>60825579
If you have money and ports, put everything on an SSD. I have one SSD for OS and another 512GB for games. 512 one is filled to the brim.
>>
>>60826022
>Your games and programs won't load any quicker on a nvme ssd,

why do people keep saying this

what is the rational
>>
>>60827140
He meant to say you don't have to choose NVMe specifically. Any SATA3 SSD is OK as long as it works
>>
>>60825579
>I've gotten mixed responses from techs

In general, SSDs are for the files that you will access or run the most frequently.

> put all my games on to the SSD

If you have limited SSD space, then put only your most frequently used games on SSD.

> Who's right, is anyone right?

The problem is that the right approach is different, depending on which apps you use the most, and what your SDD size is.

Here are some other good general rules:

- There are certain files in the OS that are used very extensively, so they really should be on the SSD. The problem is that it can be hard and time-consuming to split an OS installation onto both a SSD and a HDD. So a lot of times, it's just easier to install the whole OS onto the SSD -- it wastes a bunch of SSD space, but it's by far the fastest approach.

- For apps, the best approach for many people is to pretty much just fill up the rest of your SSD with your most-frequently used apps. Your lesser-used apps can go on your HDD.

- For video files, music files, etc. -- keep them all on the HDD.

- If there are certain data files that you use a lot, or are very important to you, then keep them on the SSD, and back them up periodically onto the HDD. (For example, if you have a file that contains the info about all your online accounts -- that kind of thing.)
>>
File: load-tomb.png (11KB, 480x384px) Image search: [Google]
load-tomb.png
11KB, 480x384px
>>60827375
Because NVME drives don't really load up most games & user programs faster than a SATA SSD. Other examples at http://techreport.com/review/31901/corsair-force-series-mp500-240gb-nvme-ssd-reviewed/5
>>
>>60827375
because it's true. they barely add in a second of freed up time compared to a sata one. it's more to do with how games and programs themselves work rather than the raw horsepower the ssd has

either way, though, any kind of ssd will always improve loading times and reduce texture pop-in for gaming
>>
>>60827444
Also worth noting that multiplayer games may still "load" slower depending on how they're written. If you need to wait for all players to finish loading before you start the match, then you're restricted to the weakest/slowest storage device. Also, if the server is being slow, you may see really buggy things go on (like shit will just lag out in the distance). This doesn't mean your SSD isn't working, it's just that people still have HDDs and slower host processors, and you still have to deal with that.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.