[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i accidentally clobbered a big (~1 GB) video file with comma

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 1348545835827.png (112KB, 576x507px)
1348545835827.png
112KB, 576x507px
i accidentally clobbered a big (~1 GB) video file with command line fuckery, by copying another video file on top of it. i quickly stopped the copy, so only about 70 MB got overwritten, but now the filesystem just sees a complete 70 MB file.

i know the rest of the data is still there, it's just not pointed to by any inode (or whatever the NTFS equivalent of an inode is). i tried recuva, but since the file wasn't technically "deleted", i've had no luck. i also tried this: http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizardpro/, which says it found an 800 MB video file with no filename, which might be what i'm looking for, but they're trying to jew me out of 60 bucks to actually recover my file.

so: does /g/ know of other recovery tools? searching google for stuff about overwritten file recovery returns just dozens of results of people trying to recover small word documents, and stuff about windows' "previous versions" feature, but my situation is a bit different.
>>
>>60814204
Thankfully high IQs like you have robust backups that can restore specific files anytime something like this happens.
>>
>headphone battery goes low

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP
>>
File: 1486510190271.gif (155KB, 640x360px)
1486510190271.gif
155KB, 640x360px
>>60814235
>>
>>60814235
natürlich

>>60814240
cool, thanks ^.^
>>
>>60814235
Not OP, but I currently use rsync with some flags set (like --delete), and I've just realized if I want to recover, I have to manually do so and know what to recover, or copy backups over files. And if I don't realize a file was deleted, corrupted, etc, and backup, rsync will delete the file on the existing destination due to the --delete flag. So not very robust. So what is a robust backup method?
>>
>>60814204
You should map those deleted blocks on the filesystem back with some program or something and then the only way to make the video work again is using a hex editor and create binary headers of the file format and codec by yourself also u have to check for consistency of the data chunks .
>>
>>60814303
OP here. funnily enough, rsync is what caused my file to be lost. what i was trying to do is copy about 60 GB of video files from my external drive to my laptop, and because cp gives no feedback i decided to use rsync --progress. i started typing a long-ass command, "rsync videofile1 videofile2 videofile3 ... destination-dir/", but ended up pressing return right after "videofile2". oops.

>>60814336
that's what i figured; what i'd like to know is the name of such a program (or do i need to write one?). fixing a semi-corrupted video file isn't the problem, finding the data and getting it into a filesystem-visible form is.
>>
>>60814240
Wasn't it bing bing bing bing?
>>
>>60814240
>>60814529
No I'm sure it was BEEP.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.