[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Itt teaching Starting teaching old people how to computer; does

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 20170511_235855.jpg (688KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170511_235855.jpg
688KB, 2048x1152px
Itt teaching
Starting teaching old people how to computer; does anyone have any suggestions or tips? Id like to establish a curriculum but i dont know where to start
>>
Make it as less scary as possible. Id they feel overwhelmed they will say fuck it and not deal with it.

Make a cheat sheet of words and acronyms commonly used for them to get familiar with.

And be patient
>>
>>60809082
Would I do better to focus on computer vocabulary; or skills. Toward skills are there any that would be especially important such as "how to email" and how deep to I explain something like email?
>>
>>60809058
They have to want to actually learn. I have a 65 year old coworker who refuses to learn how to use our computer system. I routinely have to show him how to scan documents and open them on the computer. How to check and send email. How to open, edit, and save a text file.

Every time he asks for help and I show him something he'll just complain that he has no idea why we have to use computers anyways and how he did all his work fine 30 years ago without a computer and how he can't wait to retire.
>>
>>60809058
Teach proper typing first. And then internet safety.
>>
>>60809143
I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND IT BECAUSE IM OLD YOU YOUNG PEOOLE HAVE IT SO EASY.
>>
>>60809143
Due to the fact that people are paying me to be there, I have found most people are happy to learn. I have had a few people like this tho Haha

>>60809165
Why should proper typing be such a focal point?
>>
It is crazy to think after 20 years of constant computer usage in the workplace and schools that there is still a large portion of the population in 1st world countries that does not know a single thing about computers/internet.
>>
>>60809207
There's a ton of seniors like this in my area; its a pretty good bussiness opportunity
>>
>>60809205
Because grandma is 80 and if she spends the first hour of her day hunting and pecking a 30 word Facebook post it's a waste of what little life she has left.
>>
I used to do this in a nursing home that had a computer lab back in the mid 2000's.

Old people don't want to learn, they just want to memorize some steps. Use big bright green arrows on a large picture to show them how to open the web browser and check gmail as an example. Have them repeat it several times.
>>
>>60809252
You make a good point, but unfortunately from what I've seen of my clients, proper typing is something most are either unable or unwilling to learn
>>
>>60809277
Did infofraphics help a lot?
>>
>>60809252

Ironic thing about this statement is that I am 28 and take ages to handwrite anything. I can type the same paragraph in minutes though, maybe less.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.